Not rated yet
Can Dog Eat Raw Pork? Undercooked or raw pork can contain a virus known as Trichinella spiralis larvae which can cause a condition called as trichinella parasites.
Risk Symptoms If You Feed Raw Pork To Dogs
The symptoms are usually mild in nature:
- Stiffness and pain
- Muscle inflammation
- Stomach upset
- Dogs with the weak immune system might suffer from severe symptoms.
- Always feed them in small quantities; pancreatic inflammation and indigestion are the likely causes of excessive pork intake.
- Feed your dog with edible, high-quality dental bone and not pork bones because the tender pieces can obstruct the internal organs and the esophagus.
- Large quantities of bacon can cause pancreatitis as they are extremely rich in salt content and fats whereas ham can cause a condition called as “Bloat”. In this condition, the dog will suffer from fluid, food, or gas accumulation in their stomach. The dog will be forced to drink more water as eating ham can cause dehydration in dogs and thereby excessive water intake will severely affect the health of the internal organs.
- Best alternative to pork is boiled, unseasoned, and plain chicken and that too when the dog is undergoing gastrointestinal issues. It contains amino acids, fats, minerals, and essential vitamins. They also act as a rich source of protein.
Can Dog Eat Raw Pork? Benefits Of Raw Diet
- Raw diet enthusiasts argue that raw organs, bones, and meat are the right way to make your dog hale and also strong.
- Another benefit of raw meat includes the strengthening of the immune system, and some dog owners have also reported that their pet’s skin has become healthier.
Raw Pork Safety Precautions
- A wild dog does not have any fear of parasitic infections or any other illnesses faced by humans.
- Furthermore, pork bought from store contains roundworm called as trichinosis. Moreover, these worms live in the meat. They get killed when the raw meat is totally frozen for at least three to four weeks or cooked.
- Therefore, never buy the raw meat from any store but only from reputed butchers.