Can Dogs Eat Oat Meal? Yes! Oatmeal is rich in soluble fibre and protein which help dogs with digestive issues. It even contains iron and vitamin B6. As it is low in gluten it is the best grain for wheat allergy dogs.
Nutritional benefits of oats
Oats are relatively rich in fat and protein when compared with other grains. As it is high in protein it can be digested and provides a balance of amino acid.
It also contains fibre, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants which will improve dog’s health.
Topical benefits of oats for dogs
- Soak – Consider a soak for anti-inflammatory and anti-itching actions.
- Shampoos – Oatmeal shampoos are good for bathing pets which avoids irritation and itching in the skin.
- Oat Poultice – For other skin irritation and hot spots make a slurry of oats and wrap it in the tea bag or cheesecloth and apply this in an affected area.
- Dry oat Shampoo – This shampoo helps to absorb oil from skin and coat which relieves itchiness.
Is oatmeal safe for dogs? Can Dogs Eat Oat Meal?
Oatmeal is good when it is given in moderation. Mostly, it is used to lower cholesterol in dogs. It helps to reduce the risk of heart disease.
As it is low calorie it is a best and safe treats for your dogs. Oatmeal is recommended for old dogs because they tend to irregular bowel moment, and fibre gives some relief. Even it is the best diet for overweight dogs.
How to serve oatmeal to dogs?
- Use water to cook oatmeal, not milk.
- Prepare oatmeal with no sugar or salt.
- Plain oatmeal is the best choice without any flavours.
- For a complete meal offer oatmeal with egg or a small number of snacks.
- Let the oatmeal cool then serve your dogs with an oatmeal treat.
Side effects of oatmeal to your dogs
Consuming too much oatmeal may cause vomiting and diarrhoea. If you are feeding oatmeal then feed small amount twice or once a week.
Vitamins and minerals in oatmeal:
As oatmeal is rich in vitamins and minerals, which includes:
- Folic acid
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B9
Benefits of oatmeal
- Oatmeal is the best choice for digestive tract due to fibre content.
- It is used as a uterine tonic.
- As it has b-sitosterol which is good for the anti-tumour compound.
- Oatmeal is a great stimulant and emollient.
- For the cardiac health of dogs, oats are good because it contains diuretic properties.
- Zinc in oatmeal is good for healthy coat and skin of dogs.
Berry egg oatmeal recipe for dogs
- ¼ cup of oats
- ½ cup of water
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup of berries
- 2 berry linked treat and grain free pork, chopped
- Heat oats with water in a small pan for 3 minutes.
- Add stirred egg into oatmeal and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped treats in the oatmeal top after cooking.
- Serve it cool to your lovely pet as a treat.