Can Cats Eat Ham? Ham is safe for cats when it is fed in moderation. As it is high in sodium, which helps to moisturize cats diets. Always, it’s better to feed cooked ham for your cats as an occasional treat.
Nutrition facts of ham
Nutritional facts of 1 slice ham include
- Calories – 37
- Protein – 5 g
- Sodium – 63 mg
- Cholesterol – 11 mg
- Sugar – 0.6 g
- Potassium – 129 mg
- Fat – 1 g
- Iron – 0%
- Calcium – 1%
Can cats eat raw ham?
Of course! Cats can eat raw ham as a trend of a raw meat diet is safe. But bacteria present in raw ham may cause diseases like clostridial diarrhoea and salmonellosis. Raw pork can cause trichinosis or food poisoning, pancreatic diseases due to roundworms.
Benefits of ham for cats
Delicious ham has nutritional benefits include:
- As it is rich in protein, a piece of ham can give taurine to your cats, which is good for a strong digestive system and heart.
- It even contains thiamin, which is a great nutrition for cats.
- Also, it is a great source of riboflavin which boosts, promotes metabolism and act as an antioxidant protector.
- Potassium present in ham prevents your feline friend from kidney failure.
- Zinc in ham is good for healthy cats fur.
- Vitamin B6 helps to keep the healthy nervous system.
Precautions before feeding ham to cats:
Warning! Always, avoid feeding low-quality meat to your cats. as it is rich in sodium, low-quality ham is crammed with preservatives, which has no health benefits. Feeding too much ham (high sodium) can lead your cats to hypernatremia, which cause health problems like high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat.
It even causes indigestion, diarrhoea, vomiting, dehydration, negative impacts and electrolyte imbalance to your cat’s growth. If you want to add ham in your cat’s diet then cut it into small pieces before feeding, which is easy for your cat’s digestion.
Feeding a minimal amount of ham meat to your feline friend will be a tasty treat without any side effects.