Can Cats Eat Bread? Mostly, bread is nontoxic to your cats so, its safe to feed bread to your feline friend but in a minimal amount. Usually, cats love the taste of bread and enjoy bread as an occasional treat.
Nutrition facts of bread
Nutritional facts in 1 slice of white bread included
- Calories – 100
- Sodium – 190 mg
- Cholesterol – 0 mg
- Potassium – 35 mg
- Dietary ffibre– 1 g
- Carbs – 20 g
- Protein – 3 g
- Sugar – 2 g
- Fat – 0 g
- Saturated – 0 g
- Monounsaturated – 0 g
- Polyunsaturated – 1 g
- Iron – 6%
- Calcium – 4%
Some bread harm cats
Wheat and white bread are safe for cats. Some types of bread should be avoided like savory bread, which includes toxic ingredients with flavors like onion, garlic, macadamia nuts, chives, raisins caffeine and chocolate which is harmful to cats even it is fed in moderation.
If cats ate toxic bread look for the symptoms
Unfortunately, if your cats ate flavored or toxic bread then look for the following symptoms like
- Pale gums
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle tremors
- Decreased urination
- Trouble breathing
Risk of feeding bread to your cats
The risk involved in feeding bread to your feline friends includes
- As it is rich in sugar and salt, you should avoid feeding bread to your kittens.
- Overconsumption of bread may lead your cats to obesity.
- Also, it is lacking taurine vitamin, because taurine deficiency will lead your cats in health issues like –
- Hair loss
- Tooth decay
- Cardiovascular problem
- Complications to the reproductive system
Can cats eat bread dough?
No! Cat’s should not eat bread dough because it may cause health problems like reduced blood flow, heavy breathing, swollen abdomen in cats stomach.
Uncooked bread dough or raw yeast should not be fed to your feline friends. As yeast forms alcohol as a byproduct, which may result in alcohol poisoning to your cats.
Can cats eat bread toast?
Yes! Plain bread toast is safe for your feline friend. Don’t feed a large quantity of toasted bread to your cats. Some toast topping is not good for cats so, before adding toppings on toast make sure that it is safe for your furry friend. Always, avoid burned toast to your cats.
Tost toppings not safe for cats:
- Chocolate spreads include Nutella, which is toxic to your feline friends.
- Butter is not toxic but it is harmful.
- Peanut butter is not toxic but it’s better to avoid it because it contains high calories and unhealthy salt.
Generally, feeding bread to your feline is safe but in moderation will avoid the health risk.