Cats are very fussy about cleanliness. A tidy cat is a happy and smiling cat. Considered as low maintenance pets, cats take care of themselves nicely by washing themselves several times a day.
After any grooming session, you may notice your cat meow happily with the feel of freshness. It is the responsibility of the cat owner to give an extra hand in keeping him clean.
Trimming the nails, keeping the eyes clean, brushing the hair, proper healthy diet is some ways through which we can help our little friend to stay fit and cheerful.
Note- Some cats do not like grooming. If your cat behaves wildly when you try to groom him, contact a vet for further details.
Cat Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Bathing A Cat
To keep them safe from unwanted allergies, fleas and ticks, cats should be given bath regularly. Shorthaired cats do not need regular bathing but longhaired felines need regular and proper bathing.
The feline is gifted with natural grooming tools (teeth and tongue) to manage her hair care problems.
If you find your cat smelly or dirty, you can give her a warm water bath.
How often should you wash your indoor cat?
Short –haired cats generally do not require regular bathing. Occasional baths are a necessity for long-haired cats.
- It pays to remain prepared well in advance. Use lukewarm water and always keep the cat-shampoo and towel ready.
- Before bathing your cat, you can brush your cat so that tangles are removed easily. Wet hair complicates the tangles.
- Smoothly lower your cat and wet the fur. For this purpose, you can use a jug or a hand-shower. Avoid sprinkling water over your cat’s face.
- Massage the shampoo covering from the neck to the other parts.
- Wipe your cat’s face with damp cotton or a washcloth and put them in a warm place.
Brushing The Cats Hair
Brushing your cat easily removes skin flakes, dead hair, grease, dirt, and increases blood circulation. Just a couple of brushings every week will keep your cat shiny and healthy.
With time, regular brushing will be more beneficial because your cat may stop grooming itself due to old age.
Trimming Nails And Claws
Healthy paws are a sign of robust health in cats. Cats require healthy feet to perform, climb, and scratch. For this reason alone, you should frequently clean and examine your cat’s paws.
Check whether they are free from wounds.
How to trim your cat’s claws?
- Place your cat or hold him tight on your lap.
- Grab a paw and apply pressure on the pad. This will expose the claw.
- Trim the dewclaws and even polydactyl cat also need trimming.
- With clippers, trim curved section of the claw.
How To Trim Overgrown Claws Of Your Cat?
Some older cats develop overgrown claws, but they too will need regular trimming. Untrimmed claws can cause severe infection or walking problems.
A simple trick is to trim their claws when they fall asleep because cats can become aggressive when they see clippers.
Hire a cat groomer if you are unsure about your cat’s behaviour. They cost less and the frequency of claw trimming should ideally take place every 30 to 42 days.
Cleaning Eyes And Ears
Begin by checking inside your cat’s ears weekly once. In case, if you notice anything dirty, clean it using a cotton ball dipped in baby oil.
Do not use a swab because it can damage his eardrum if he makes a sudden movement. Restrain your cat if he fidgets during cleaning.
The vet will first look for signs of tartar or plaque buildup. Periodontal disease can, in fact, lead to kidney, liver, or heart disease. In case of severe problems, your vet may anaesthetize your cat before treatment.
To make your cat’s job much easy, you brush your pet’s teeth once every two days.
How to prepare your cat for regular teeth brushing?
- Start by stroking and playing with your cat for the first couple of days.
- Allow your cat to lick cat
- Give your cat using a pet toothbrush designed especially for your cat.
- Move the top lip; use a circular motion and start brushing.
- Increase the session gradually day by day.
- Reward her with a treat after every cooperative session.
Cat Tranquillizers For Grooming
While you handle him for the session, be sure to have a shorter one and make sure he is in a calm mood. You can calm or de-stress him/her by petting his ears, tails, belly, back and feet.
Generally, cats will not need tranquillizers for the grooming session.
Natural sedatives for cats
Piper methysticum or Kava Kava is a herb used as a sedative. A cat owner can try this sedative under the watchful eyes of a vet who is trained to handle natural sedatives for cats.
How To Restrain A Cat For Grooming?
Cat grooming problems
Cats may feel uncomfortable and will not like grooming sittings. So keep the grooming session as short as 5 to 10 minutes.
Scruffing never works well with all cats because when they are picked up by their scruff most cats react in a manner similar to a neck pinch.
The worst cats must be immediately sedated.
Try this method to restraint a cat
- Place the three centre fingers of your hand on the cat’s head while positioning the thumb and little finger under each ear is a wonderful method.
- If required, you can scratch your cat’s head and make them feel happy.
Try this technique with your cat and do let us know your cat’s reaction in the comments section below.