- Pollen Allergy
- Malassezia Dermatitis
- Food Allergy
- Cutaneous Vasculitis
- Sarcoptic Mange
- Atopic Dermatitis
Home Remedies For Itching
1. Prevention Is The Key:
The best treatment for your pet will be based on what’s causing the itch. The quick fixes or just treating symptomatically without finding the source often leads to the development of resistant infections and aggravation of the itch over time. Discuss with a veterinarian dermatologist for any home care specific to your dog’s situation. Several factors can exacerbate itching such as:
- Environmental factors (eg, pollens of trees, grasses and weeds, dust mites, and molds).
- Infection by bacteria / Cutaneous colonization (Staphylococcus pseudintermedius).
- Ectoparasites (flea allergies).
- Yeast (Malassezia pachydermatis).
- Epidermal barrier dysfunction - Poor permeability barrier of skin allows for the entry of antigens producing inflammatory cytokines.
When you find out which substances your dog is allergic to, avoidance is the best method of control.
2. Hypoallergenic Diets:
Try food sensitivity testing and go for an elimination diet - addition or exclusion of certain foods for a short period of time and checking for adverse reactions. Long-term usage of prescribed medications can cause GI and non-GI problems.
- Avoid Dairy, Beef, and Wheat.
- Novel protein sources are used in this diet (bison, elk, duck meat).
- Carbohydrate sources include canned pumpkin, sweet potatoes, potatoes, yams, peas, etc.
- Hydrolyzed protein diets - Diets containing protein source that is hydrolyzed to small components - amino acids and peptides.
3. Maintaining A Healthy Cleaning Routine:
- Dogs with skin folds can be cleaned daily with a clean, damp cloth using hypoallergenic shampoo, skin cleanser, wipes, ointment, lotion, spray, etc.
- A spray of oatmeal and aloe can be used to saturate your pet's fur.
- Fish oil caplets - The omega-3 fatty acids (to decrease inflammation) and allergy medication like Benadryl can be given to your dogs.
- Regular brushing of the dog’s fur decrease shedding. Skin’s natural protective oils are even across the surface due to proper grooming.