Top Rated Dog Trainers / Walkers / Breeders In Your Area
Dog training is a huge task. In this article, we’ll show you how to train a puppy to adapt its behaviour according to situations and environments. Once this training is given, the dog starts to learn through its various interactions with the environment.
Various training methods exist but one important point to note is that the effective methods will possess the following:
- Good knowledge about the dog’s traits
- An exact time of applying the method and/or about punishment to the dog
- Consistent communication
Dog owners should definitely understand the importance of using easy training methods for training their dog. The advantages of a stress-free and productive training will be well imbibed by them through such knowledge. The kinds of training that a dog needs to be given are mentioned below.
Potty Training Puppy
Amongst the different kinds of training to be given by the owner for his dog, potty training is very vital.
1. Learn and execute the primary steps
A step-wise learning is to be undertaken by the dog owner:
- Firstly, select some proper place as the potty zone for the dog
- Use a particular sound or word to call the dog
- Praise the dog for its good work
- Confirm that the dog does not show frustration when called for potty time. It must definitely feel relaxed when taken for doing this activity.
- Immediately clean the area that it has spoilt through defecation/urination. This will be important to avert the dog from going to the same place for the specified purposes.
2. Close monitoring of your dog
- Allocate a small area in the house for your dog since this enables you to easily watch it and understand whether it wants to go outside.
- It is important for the owner to confirm that his/her dog gets quick access to go outdoors.
- Choose the right area, which will facilitate the cleaning process. It is necessary because dogs defecate accidentally during the initial days of training.
- A small leash that can fit your dog easily inside will help you to observe it easily as it can be carried alongside.
- Utilization of a crate will help you when if you are not at home and will be effective to potty train the dog.
- The crate must be of a befitting size for the dog to freely stand up, turn around and lie down.
- The size of such a crate should not be too big because the dog might divide the place for two purposes, bathroom and sleeping.
- When your dog is inside a crate, if you give a toy or treat, it will stay relaxed.
- The dog must not stay in the crate for 4 hours or more at any one time. In the case of puppies, lesser time must only be given.
- In case of smaller puppies, just an hour’s time should only be given.
- After the dog is taken out of the crate, the next immediate thing is to take it outside.
3. Fix some activities for daily practice
- A dog owner should fix a routine for doing some activities, pertinent to potty training.
- Firstly, using the same door for taking the dog outside should be followed.
- Take the dog to the same area, outside and utilize the same command. This will make the dog relate easily to the activity to be performed in that area.
- Fix the time of the day and length of time for taking the dog outside. For example, the dog can be taken outside in the morning and later after each meal.
- Apart from the stated, taking the dogs for regular walks will be valuable. The reason to state this is because it could stimulate the dog to discharge its bodily wastes.
- Owners should note the number of times that their dog wants to go outside. This will help them to know about its potty time and take it outside, accordingly.
- Dog owners need to maintain a feeding schedule since it will be useful for fixing the potty schedule. Tolerance is lesser in puppies and they show the urge to go outside, immediately after a meal.
- Owners must take their puppy outside after a meal to indirectly emphasize it about its potty place.
Puppy Feeding Schedule
There are two important processes that form part of the feeding training. The dog owners must familiarize their puppy with the foods that it is going to consume.
- It is important for a dog owner to make the dog familiarize itself with the food it takes. Kibble can be given to the dog for 3-4 times in a day. It is necessary for the puppy to firmly imprint the color and texture of the food in its mind.
- Owners should keep themselves rest assured that the food is prepared in line with the comfort level of the dog.
- Giving different foods to the puppy should be implemented only on a gradual basis. It is better to persist with the old diet that your dog used to have in its earlier owner’s house. Small amounts of new food can be added to its diet, let’s say for example after two weeks.
- The stated method gains importance in the context of preventing stomach-related problems like diarrhea
- Taking the advice of a veterinarian will be very crucial to implement any changes in the diet if needed
- It is best advised to only give special dog foods. With respect to giving supplemental foods such as vegetables like carrots or green beans, first, consult with a veterinarian.
- Another important step to not ever forget is to confirm that moderate amounts of food are only given to the dog so that it becomes a cautious eater in future
- Prepare a feeding schedule and follow it.
- Provide only freshwater to your puppy along with its meal on a daily basis and its dish is also cleaned
- Find out a suitable spot for your dog to eat its meal so that it does not feel fear or discomfort. Likewise, the dog must be able to easily access its water bowls and food.
- Maintain a fixed time schedule for feeding food to the dogs. You also fix the quantum and frequency of meals to be given to the dog based on its age. For example, dogs below 3 months of age should be fed for 4 times a day.
- Make necessary alternate arrangements for feeding the dog when you are away from home. You can seek the services of a neighbor or buy some feeder that operates on a timer and provides food during certain times of the day.
- Finally, take your puppy to its usual potty place once it finishes its meal. Give a gap of 20 minutes after the meals to carry out this activity. This step is extremely significant in making the puppy develop good bathroom habits.
Sleep Training Your Puppy
Dog owners will be facing a tough time when their dog does not sleep well during the night. Of course, it is really difficult to train the dog for assuring its regular good night sleep.
Owners need to follow the undermentioned steps as part of the sleep-related training for their dog:
- Give your dog a lot of exercise during the day but not before bed-time. This approach will make the dog to shed much energy and definitely seek good sleep at night.
- Establish a routine time for activities like taking the dog out walks and also the feeding time for your dog during the night. Please make sure that the dog is fed at least a couple of hours before its night sleep.
- The dog must be fed with the right amount of food during its dinner time. The quantum of food varies based on the age and health condition of the dogs.
- Dog owners should make some modifications in the sleeping arrangements for the dog during various seasons. This will be an important factor in assuring that the dog sleeps well throughout the night.
- The comfort level of the dog must be noted during its night sleep as a result of this arrangement. Generally, dogs wish to get stuck to a routine and so you need to notice how it reacts, for example, like when the bedroom furniture is moved.
- Look out for its medical conditions such as nocturnal elimination habits and pain, if any that might make it squeak.
- If you have an idea of making the dog sleep in a crate during nights, appropriate crate training must be given after a good research. It is imperative to make the dog feel that the crate is not a bad place to sleep.
- Some treats could be placed at the back of the crate to encourage it and you see how it behaves.
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Crate training is also a method of house training your dog. A dog is normally kept in a crate when its owner is not able to supervise it. Usually, many dogs do not go toilet in the place where they sleep.
This will serve as a good way to prevent the dog from doing accidents (toilet) inside the house. However, there remains a view that keeping dogs inside a crate is a merciless act.
The processes to be followed by a dog owner while giving crate training to the dog
1. Picking the right crate for your dog
In the market, different kinds of crates are sold but as a dog owner pick the most suitable crate. The size factor must also be given utmost consideration.
The right crate will give the necessary ventilation and light but what if it is bigger in size? A bigger crate could only prompt your dog to divide the available space for two purposes: sleeping and potting. `
2. Introducing the dog to the crate
First, the owner should let the dog familiarize itself slowly with the crate. Next, at the bottom of the crate, he should keep some treats or toys.
This is for just encouraging the dog if it gets on its own inside the crate. It is better to keep the door open for some time so that your dog keeps moving in and out whenever it wishes.
3. Keeping the dog confined in the crate
Once a dog feels comfortable and is able to stay alone for an hour or more, the owner can go out of the house and return back after a few hours.
4. Knowing the negative points about crate training, such as:
- Do not keep the crate open, while the dog is barking
- If the crate is kept open, your dog will be induced to make more noise
- Never keep the adult dogs in a crate for 4 hours or more
- Likewise, never keep the dog inside the crate for 4 hours or more. The dog needs to empty its bladder or bowels
Indoor Dog Exercises
Some effective indoor exercises training for your dog to help it, release its accumulated energy from its body. They consist of:
- Making the dog run up and down the stairs will help it to shed out its accumulated energy. It will be a good exercise for its muscles. For example, through using a toy as the play tool, dog owners will be able to keep their dog really engaged.
- Dog owners need to hide the favourite treats of their dog for the latter to search and find. Since the dog is accustomed to eating the treat items given by its boss, it will start to search. It will go to various places in the house and search out for the item/s. This will be automatically energizing the dog’s mind and body.
- Put your dog on the treadmill – Firstly, let the dog stand next to the treadmill and know the physical appearance and sound of this equipment. Thereafter, make your dog stand on the treadmill and confirm whether it is comfortable. Once the dog feels convenient, give some treat as a sign of motivation. Set the treadmill at a low speed and see how it walks. After this, make a slight enhancement in the speed.
Socialization Training For Dogs
It is important for a dog owner to realize that his/her pet dog will become exposed to various situations. The most important point is that the dog will not develop behavioural problems and will be loved by all.
Many dog owners carry their dog in the car while going to places like pet stores and other nearby places. They expose the dog to the respective environs by allowing it run through the aisles, sniff out and pick out the thrown toys.
This training method is adopted by a dog owner/trainer to make the dog behave accordingly to various commands. Clicker is a metal embedded inside a plastic box that generates a sound when clicked.
During the initial training stages, a dog is given a treat after each click sound. What is signified by this sound is that the dog is getting ready to learn. The dog will understand that it is motivated by a treat each time after it responds to a click sound.
Visual Stimulation Training
Dogs possess that natural trait of surveying their territory where they live. A dog owner must notify this trait and enable the dog to view its neighbours and other animals. You can bring the dog bed near to the window if it is of a low-level type.
This will enable the dog to watch out freely. If the dog shows overexcitement by barking at pedestrians and other animals, then move it to another viewing point.
Dog Mental Stimulation Training Using Toys
As a dog owner, it is needful for you to keep your dog really active and challenging even during its boring times. You can use such puzzle toys with the treat hidden inside and tough to locate immediately.
Make your dog work really hard to get that food out, from the toy. It is important for you to clearly understand how to train a puppy and which toy will be suitable for your puppy. Some other toy could be replaced if your dog does not want the chosen toy anymore.
Proofing Behaviors And Troubleshooting Training
This is a behavioural improvement training given by the dog owner for the dog to show self-control and uniform behaviour in various environments. Behavioural management is a key inherent component of a dog training program. Finally, the owner will with various training methods identify perfectly how to train a puppy for a complete growth.