Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Boston terrier is considered as pride by its owners across America because it was first bred in their country. In 1893, the American Kennel Club (AKC) accepted Boston Terrier Puppy as a non-sporting breed.
These dynamic small bulls are full of life and full of energy and they make fantastic companion dogs.
Boston Terrier Video And Infographic
What Does A Boston Terrier Look Like?
Although the Boston Terrier wears a terrific appearance, it is quite a lovable pet. It has a compact build with a square-shaped neck, straight erect ears, and a light arched neck.
The dog’s head size is in line with its overall body size. This dog breed has a broad chest, strong limbs, and a short tail. Concisely, this is a well-balanced dog.
Boston Terrier Colors
Boston Terrier dogs normally appear in the color combinations like Brindle & White, Brown & White, Black & White, and also Seal & White.
However, AKC only recognizes such dogs with these types of coat colors to be deemed fit as a Terrier dog breed.
Boston Terrier Size
The average weight of a Boston Terrier dog is 7 kg to 11 kg while its height can range from 23 cm to 38 cm.
Male dogs are a bit bigger than female ones. The weight of a male dog can range from 4 kg to 11 kg while a female dog can range from 3 kg to 10 kg.
Lifespan Of Boston Terrier
The average lifespan of a Boston Terrier dog is between 13 to 15 years. However, this longevity is dependent on factors like the dog’s health, its diet, and the kind of environment in which it is being brought up.
Boston Terrier Temperament
The bouncy little Boston terriers are lovable by nature and are very intelligent and adaptive. They are well-mannered and friendly with almost everybody. Their high tolerance and friendly personality make them good therapy dogs.
Training a Boston Terrier may be pretty challenging as they are stubborn and have sharp hunting instincts. However, they can be well-bred pets with positive and consistent training.
Boston Terrier Interesting Facts
Boston Terrier is the first dog to be bred in the United States.
It was bred only to be used as a fighter dog. But over a period of time, an act making dogfighting illegal resulted in the dog turning into a pet.
Most of the dogs require a cesarean section at the time of giving birth.
Right from 1979, Boston Terrier is the official state dog of Massachusetts in the USA.
It has the nickname of “American Gentleman” in the USA.
On a yearly basis, AKC (American Kennel Club) ranks this breed as a famous dog in the USA. For example, in 2016, it was ranked as the #21 popular dog breed in the USA.
Some celebrities who own/owned a Boston Terrier puppy
- Rose McGowen – American actress, singer, and director
- Robin Williams – American actor and comedian
- Warren G Harding – 29th US President
Boston Terrier Health Problems
Here are certain health issues that normally affect Boston terrier dogs.
- Whitish cloudiness is formed in the eye/s
- The abnormal layer of color in the eye which could be blue or grey or white
- Unwilling to jump on furniture or to climb the stairs
- Redness of the eyes
- Rubbing eyes
- Vision loss signs like bumping on furniture, wall, door frames, and other objects
- Genetic disorders
- Eye Injury
- Exposure to Toxins
- Exposure to Radiation
- Medications – Nutritional supplements like oral antioxidants are given to improve the health of the lens in the dog’s eyes.
Antioxidant supplements were given to help in lessening ocular inflammation in dogs (both during pre-surgery and post-surgery periods).
- Surgery – Removal of the defective lens in the eyes. Replace the defective lens with an acrylic intraocular lens.
- Phacoemulsification – The eye lens is emulsified by applying ultrasonic waves. After emulsification, Replace the lens with the isotonic solution.
2. Corneal Ulcers
- Abnormal level of tearing a lens
- Reddish and painful eye
- Sensitivity to light
- Grey or white-colored cloud formation in the middle position of the eye
- Rubbing the eyes with the paw
- Filmy formation over the eye
- Pain which could be either blunt or penetrating
- The problem in the eyelids preventing the free closure of eyes
- Acquiring burns from a chemical substance
- The intrusion of some foreign substance into the eyes
- Facial Nerve Paralysis
Veterinarian doctors generally prescribe topical antibiotics for the treatment of corneal ulcers in dogs. They will recommend some popular antibiotic eye medications like:
- Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution
- B.N.P. Triple Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment
Vets also recommend Atropine Ophthalmic solution. An ophthalmologist conducts Surgical treatment after a thorough examination of various factors like the dog’s age.
In addition, they check if the dog has diabetes, allergies, and the capacity to bear the operation. Once the dog is found fit, the veterinary ophthalmologist will operate the dog by eliminating the dead tissues and foreign substances that are stuck in its corneal wound.
Then, he will sew the eyelids by closing them so as to enable the healing process of the operated area. A catheter might be sewn under the eyelids of the dog so as to ensure that the medicinal eye drops are applied to the corneal area.
3. Patellar Luxation
- Abnormal hind limb movement
- Lameness in the hind limb
- Pain when the kneecap dislocates i.e. slips out from the thigh bone’s ridges
- The genetic disorder causing the abnormal formation of the kneecap is called a dislocated kneecap
- The patella ligament attachment to the fibia could have gone deeper inside
- Trauma in the Knee
Luxating patella is always treated only through surgical methods because it is considered by all to be the most effective. This method is undertaken since it is important to do some corrections in the kneecap structure and ensure its smooth movement.
A veterinarian surgeon mainly performs two things:
- He fastens the kneecap outside of the bone to avoid it from sliding inside.
- Deepening of the grove of the thigh bone to assure that the kneecap remains intact.
4. Allergic Dermatitis
- The allergic dog scratches bites and licks its skin, ears, and feet
- Bumpy spots on the skin and pus-filled vesicles on the skin
- Reddish patches on the skin and scaly areas of the skin
- Loss of Hair
- Thickened skin
- Excess production of melanin leading to hyperpigmentation of the skin
- Shaking the head
- Food allergy
- Allergy caused by a flea/tick bite
- Side effects of drugs
- Contact allergies (because of topical treatment or exposure to detergents and fibers)
- Bacterial allergies
- Parasitic allergies (acquired from parasites like mites and ticks)
- Hormonal allergies
Based on the kind of allergy that a dog suffers from, a veterinarian will choose the right treatment method after a complete diagnosis. However, certain simple home remedies could also be utilized by the dog owner after consultation with the vet.
Generally, the treatments for allergic dermatitis comprises:
- Following the diet-related prescription
- Fatty acid supplements
- Use of antibacterial shampoos
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Corticosteroid therapy
- Antibiotics for treating secondary skin infection
Boston Terrier Names
First off, congratulations on making the right choice of getting a new Boston terrier puppy. And the next step is to name your puppy with the best ever name that should be unique and easy to pronounce. Here are some names we have handpicked to make sure your new puppy’s name conforms to the right choice.
Boston Terrier Names For Males
Female Boston Terrier Names
Boston Terrier Puppy Names
Best Names For Boston Terriers
Price For Boston Terrier
The prevalent average price of a Boston Terrier puppy in the US market is between $600 to $1200. However, the premium-quality puppy could be very high.
In the UK market, it can range anywhere from £700 to £1000. The average price of a KC (kennel club) registered Boston Terrier puppy can go up to £1100 while a Non-KC registered puppy can be bought for £955.
As a general rule of thumb, it must be understood that the price of this breed puppy that is fixed and different is attributable to: the dog’s age, quality, breeder reputation, and price differential based on location i.e. differs from state to state.
Boston Terrier Breeders
Click to find Boston Terrier breeders in your neighborhood in America.
Boston Terrier FAQs
What Are The Characteristics Of A Boston Terrier?
Boston terrier dogs are fearless, energetic, high-spirited dogs that make the owner happy.
They are smart, alert, and always comprehending.
They are very friendly and affectionate and get along very well with small children and other pets.
Boston terriers are not hard to train. With consistent and patient training, they make fantastic companions.
They are not noisy dogs and don’t bark a lot. These finest attitude dogs are decent with strangers too.
Still more, they shed less and need less grooming with a clean gorgeous tuxedo coat. For bone-idle owners, Boston terrier is the best choice.
How Much Should A BostonTerrier Weigh?
On an average, Boston terriers weigh around 10 to 25 lbs. The male dogs are always heavier than the females. While a male dog’s weight is between 15 to 25 lbs females weigh between 10 to 20 lbs.
How Much Do Boston Terrier Puppies Cost?
Boston Terrier are relatively a rare breed. On an average, a good quality puppy from a reputed breeder may cost between $1000 to $2000 USD. However, for a superior pedigree and healthy Boston terrier puppy, you may have to up to $5,000 from a reputed breeder.
Are Boston Terriers Good Family Pets?
These active and charming dogs we know as Boston terriers are called as “The American Gentleman”, and for very good reason.
They are very affectionate, loyal, calm, and gentle with kids and older people. These very friendly and well-mannered canines make good family dogs.
Are Boston Terriers Prone To Cancer?
Like any other dog breed, Cancer can affect Boston terrier dogs of all ages, especially older dogs. Mast cell tumors (MCTs) and Brain Tumors are the two main types that are common in Boston terrier dogs.