Find Top Rated Breeders In Your Area
Boston terrier is considered as a pride by its owners across America because it was first bred in their country. During 1893, The American Kennel Club (AKC) accepted Boston Terrier Puppy as a non-sporting breed.
Learn all about the size, life span, appearance, food, health issues, price, breeders, & interesting facts of this lovely dog breed.
Boston Terrier Video And Infographic
Boston Terrier Appearance
Although the Boston Terrier sports a terrific appearance, it is quite a lovable pet. It has a compact build with a square shaped neck, straight erect ears and a light arched neck.
The dog’s head size is in line with its overall body size. This dog breed has a broad chest, strong limbs and a short tail. Concisely, this is a well-balanced dog.
Boston Terrier Colors
Boston Terrier dogs normally appear in the colour combinations like Brindle & White, Brown & White, Black & White and also Seal & White.
However, AKC only recognizes such dogs with these types of coat colours to be deemed fit as a Terrier dog breed.
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Boston Terrier Size
The average weight of a Boston Terrier dog is 7 kg to 11 kg while its height can range from 23 cm to 38 cm. The weight of a male dog can range from 4 kg to 11 kg while a female dog can range from 3 kg to 10 kg.
Boston Terrier Lifespan
The average lifespan of a Boston Terrier dog is between 13 to 15 years. However, this longevity is dependent on elements like the dog’s health, its diet and the kind of environment in which it is grown.
Boston Terrier Temperament
Boston Terrier Interesting Facts
Boston Terrier is the first dog to be bred in the United States.
It was bred only to be used as a fighter dog. But over a period of time, an act making dog fighting illegal resulted in the dog turning into a pet.
It is also a good therapy dog.
Most of the dogs require a caesarean section at the time of giving birth.
Right from 1979, Boston Terrier is the official state dog of Massachusetts in the USA.
It has the nickname of “American Gentleman” in the USA.
On a yearly basis, AKC (American Kennel Club) ranks this breed as a famous dog in the USA. For example, in 2016, it was ranked as the #21 popular dog breed in the USA.
Some celebrities who own/owned a Boston Terrier puppy
Boston Terrier Health Problems
Here are certain health issues that normally affect Boston terrier dogs.
- Whitish cloudiness is formed in the eye/s
- The abnormal layer of color in the eye which could be blue or grey or white
- Unwilling to jump on furniture or to climb the stairs
- Redness of the eyes
- Rubbing eyes
- Vision loss signs like bumping on furniture, wall, door frames and other objects
- Genetic disorders
- Eye Injury
- Exposure to Toxins
- Exposure to Radiation
- Medications – Nutritional supplements like oral antioxidants given to improve the health of the lens in the dog’s eyes.
Antioxidant supplements were given to help in lessening ocular inflammation in dogs (both during pre-surgery and post-surgery periods).
- Surgery – Removal of the defective lens in the eyes. Replace the defective lens with an acrylic intraocular lens.
- Phacoemulsification – Eye lens is emulsified by applying ultrasonic waves. After emulsification, Replace the lens with the isotonic solution.
2. Corneal Ulcers
- Abnormal level of tearing lens
- Reddish and painful eye
- Sensitivity to light
- Grey or white-colored cloud formation in the middle position of the eye
- Rubbing the eyes with the paw
- Filmy formation over the eye
- Pain which could be either blunt or penetrating
- The problem in the eyelids preventing the free closure of eyes
- Acquiring burns from a chemical substance
- The intrusion of some foreign substance into the eyes
- Facial Nerve Paralysis
Veterinarian doctors generally prescribe topical antibiotics for treatment of corneal ulcers in dogs. They will recommend some popular antibiotic eye medications like:
- Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution
- B.N.P. Triple Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment
Vets also recommend Atropine Ophthalmic solution. Ophthalmologist conducts Surgical treatment after a thorough examination of various factors like the dog’s age.
In addition, they check if the dog has diabetes, allergies and the capacity to bear the operation. Once the dog is found fit, the veterinary ophthalmologist will operate the dog by eliminating the dead tissues and foreign substances that are stuck in its corneal wound.
Then, he will sew the eyelids by closing it so as to enable the healing process of the operated area. A catheter might be sewn under the eyelids of the dog so as to ensure that the medicinal eye drops are applied to the corneal area.
3. Patellar Luxation
- Abnormal hind limb movement
- Lameness in the hind limb
- Pain when the kneecap dislocates i.e. slips out from the thigh bone’s ridges
- The genetic disorder causing the abnormal formation of the kneecap which is called a dislocated kneecap
- The patella ligament attachment to the fibia could have gone deeper inside
- Trauma in the Knee
Luxating patella is always treated only through surgical method because it is considered by all to be the most effective. This method is undertaken since it is important to do some corrections in the kneecap structure and ensure its smooth movement.
A veterinarian surgeon mainly performs two things:
- He fastens the kneecap outside of the bone to avoid it from sliding inside.
- Deepening of the grove of the thigh bone to assure that the kneecap remains intact.
4. Allergic Dermatitis
- The allergic dog scratches, bites and licks its skin, ears, and feet
- Bumpy spots on the skin and pus-filled vesicles on the skin
- Reddish patches on the skin and scaly areas of the skin
- Loss of Hair
- Thickened skin
- Excess production of melanin leading to hyperpigmentation of the skin
- Shaking the head
- Food allergy
- Allergy caused by a flea/tick bite
- Side effects of drugs
- Contact allergies (because of topical treatment or exposure to detergents and fibers)
- Bacterial allergies
- Parasitic allergies (acquired from parasites like mites and ticks)
- Hormonal allergies
Based on the kind of allergy that a dog suffers from, a veterinarian will choose the right treatment method after complete diagnosis. However, certain simple home remedies could also be utilized by the dog owner after consultation with the vet.
Generally, the treatments for allergic dermatitis comprises:
- Following the diet-related prescription
- Fatty acid supplements
- Use of antibacterial shampoos
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Corticosteroid therapy
- Antibiotics for treating secondary skin infection
Boston Terrier Puppy Names
Boston Terrier Price
The prevalent average price of a Boston Terrier puppy in the US market is between $600 to $1200. However, the premium-quality puppy could be very high.
In the UK market, it can range anywhere from £700 to £1000. The average price of a KC (kennel club) registered Boston Terrier puppy can go up to £1100 while a Non-KC registered puppy can be bought for £955.
As a general rule of thumb, it must be understood that the price of this breed puppy that is fixed and different are attributable to: the dog’s age, quality, nature of breeder and price differential based on location i.e. differs from state to state.
Boston Terrier Breeders
- Empire Puppies
Address: 164-13 Northern Blvd,
Flushing, NY 11358, USA
Tel.: +1 718-321-1977
E-mail Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breeders Club of America
Address: 1839 RT 35,
Tel.: (732) 706-3444
- Hickory Hill Boston Terriers
Address: Hwy 15,
Newton, MI, 39345
E-mail Id: email@example.com