Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Can Dogs Eat Cantaloupe? Cantaloupes are safe for all dogs. According to experts, cantaloupe is safe when fed in moderation. It serves as a healthy alternative for pets which needs to lose some weight.
They are not only non-toxic and cantaloupe seeds are not dangerous for dogs. Avoid feeding them as choking troubles are bound to surface.
Can Dogs Eat Cantaloupe? - Infographic
Health Benefits Of Cantaloupes
Some of the health benefits include
- Cantaloupes are known to improve your dog’s eyesight. They are loaded with beta-carotene and vitamin A.
- These vitamins help prevent cell damage and reduce the risk of cancer.
Is Cantaloupe Safe For Dogs?
Cantaloupes contain potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, niacin, vitamin B6. Moreover, cantaloupes are rich in water factor and quite low in calories. They are one of the finest snacks to help your dog gain strength.
Not to mention, vitamin C and A consists of plenty of crucial benefits for dogs and works as antioxidants. Antioxidants perform a big role in stopping free radicals. They control cell aging and increase healthy cell management.
The fiber and high water content present in cantaloupe also increase better digestion. It stops dehydration and constipation. When you cut one of these foods, give some of the pieces of cantaloupes in moderation to your pet.
Side Effects Of Cantaloupes
Cantaloupes are not harmful to the dogs. Yet, you need to know a few things before feeding your dog with cantaloupe.
- Cantaloupe rinds can cause stomach or gastrointestinal upset. It can also damage your dog’s digestive tract.
- Cantaloupes are high in sugar. Hence, diabetic and obese dogs should avoid eating cantaloupes.
- Excessive feeding of cantaloupes can lead to severe obesity in dogs. This, in turn, can lead to other serious complications.
Cantaloupes contain vitamins such as potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, niacin, vitamin B6. Vitamin C and A are good sources of antioxidants.
Antioxidants help to control free radicals and this promotes healthy cell growth. This step reduces the cell aging process. Fiber and water content present in the cantaloupes prevent dehydration and constipation.
Can Dogs Eat Cantaloupe Rind?
If your dog eats cantaloupe rinds, you don’t have to worry too much. The cantaloupe rind is difficult to swallow, chew, and digest. Avoid feeding your dog cantaloupe rind. The fruit contains a lot of useful benefits if consumed in moderation.
Can Cantaloupe Cause Diarrhea In Dogs?
Cantaloupes are not safe for all dogs. If your dog suffers from a very sensitive stomach, it is better to avoid feeding your dog with cantaloupes. Diarrhea in dogs is a common sign with dogs suffering from a sensitive stomach.
Nutritional value present in cantaloupes (160 gms )
- Vitamin K – 4%
- Fiber – 5%
- Magnesium – 5%
- B1 Vitamin – 6%
- B3 Vitamin – 7%
- B6 Vitamin – 7%
- Potassium – 12%
- Vitamin A – 30%
- Vitamin C – 78%
Simple and easy Cantaloupe Preparation for Canines
- Never feed your dog with big chunks of the fruit. Cut the cantaloupe into small pieces to allow for quicker digestion.
- Discard the cantaloupe seeds- Like the seeds of an apple, these seeds also contain cyanide. So, you better avoid them.
- Stop feeding the outer shell to your dog- The outer shell can still contain some pesticides even after cleaning. It’s quite difficult to wash away all the pesticides thoroughly.
Can Dogs Eat Cantaloupe Skin?
Dogs do best when they avoid eating the skin or peel of cantaloupes. The exterior part can contain many bacteria that can cause serious harm to your dog. The hard peel can lead to blockage and constipation.
Some dog owners would have fed cantaloupe skin and not faced any adverse reaction. It’s always better to remain alert than feel sorry later.
Are Cantaloupe Seeds Safe For Dogs?
Most fruits will have cyanide in their seeds. The seeds of peaches, cherries, and apples will have cyanide. If you are unsure, please remove the seeds before feeding it to your dogs.
When dogs consume seeds on a prolonged basis, it’s better to completely remove the seeds.
Home Made Cantaloupe Dog Treats
- Cooking time – 15 mins
- Preparation time – 15 mins
- Batch – 30-45 treats
- Grain flour – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Parmesan cheese – 2 tbsp
- Pureed cantaloupe – 1 cup
- Beef liver – ½ lb (neatly cooked and sliced into small pieces)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover the baking sheet using a silicone baking mat.
- Prepare a puree by mixing the water, parmesan cheese, cantaloupe, and beef liver
- Add the puree and grain flour in a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Now pat the dough and make a 5-inch thick paste
- Use a cutter to make grids
- Place this item in the oven for 15 mins
- Allow it to cool and break it into small pieces
Kindly treat this recipe in addition to your daily treat. Contact your vet for more details.