Can Dogs Eat Honey? Before you decide to feed your dog with honey, keep these points in mind:
- Honey is safe as long as it is given in small quantities only. It contains low levels of minerals and vitamins including natural sugars.
- High sugar levels in honey can cause obesity in dogs. It is necessary to brush your dog’s teeth after feeding him with honey because sugars in honey can cause tooth decay.
- Obese or diabetic dogs should not eat honey. Before feeding a diabetic dog with honey, consult a vet to know the exact feeding quantity.
- Do not give dogs with low capacity immune systems and young puppies raw honey as it contains botulism spores.
- Never feed your dog with honey without consulting your vet.
Health Benefits Of Feeding Honey To Pets (Dogs)
- Honey is rich in simple sugars like glucose and fructose.
- Raw honey is rich in vitamin A, C, D, B-complex and K. Also contains various minerals such as magnesium, calcium, manganese, copper and calcium.
- Usually, honey has antifungal and antibacterial properties which will reduce inflammation.
- It cures seasonal allergies in dogs.
- Feeding a little honey to your dog will soothe any lingering inflammation.
- Honey is good for dogs when consumed in moderate level. However, if your dog consumes more, then watch out for any health changes.
- Also, it heals minor topical wounds.
- Even it reduces the gastrointestinal problem in dogs and gives energy.
- If your dog is free from pollen allergen, then honey can soothe inflammations if any.
- Moreover, honey is reported to have antifungal and antimicrobial properties, cure allergies, soothe sore throats and stomach ulcers, and reduce inflammation.
Different Types of Honey That Dogs Can Eat
- For medicinal purposes, use only raw honey. Moreover, raw honey may have bacterias as it is not heated or filtered.
- Raw wildflower local honey twice daily in a small quantity will avoid allergies to your dogs.
- Manuka Honey cures a kennel cough.
The Best Way to Use Honey
In general, you can give honey as a reward for your dog. In conclusion, you can give honey to your pet in moderately in lesser quantity.
Recommended Read: What Foods Can/Can’t Dogs eat?