A cute lovable small dog which is always smart and cheerful, the first of a kind designer dog, the Cockapoo is a mix between Poodle and Cocker Spaniel. They have scruffy coats and bright eyes. Cockapoos are excellent companions.
Renowned domestic pets in America since the 50’s, Cockapoos are one of a kind hybrid dog variety. It feels really good to have a cockapoo dog around but is they the right type for everyone is a million dollar question.
- Different Types of Cockapoo Dog Breeds
- Cockapoos Lifespan
- Cockapoo Sizes/Weight
- Cockapoo Temperament
- Feeding a Cockapoo – What is the correct way to feed a Cockapoo?
- Interesting Facts on Cockapoo
- How To Train A Cockapoo Dog?
- Cockapoo Health Problems
- Cockapoo Price/Cockapoo Life Term Maintenance Cost
- Cockapoo Breeders
Different Types of Cockapoo Dog Breeds
F1 – The first mix/cross between a poodle and Cocker Spaniel will produce “F1 “ Cockapoo.
The most stable combination that results in creating “Hybrid-Vigor” where the offsprings are expected to grow at least an inch bigger/taller than their parents after reaching adulthood.
The line breeding/in-breeding is not at all a concern in this hybrid.
F2 – The breeding of 2 F1 Cockapoos can result in producing an F2 Cockapoo breed dog.
The main area of contention is the “Granddad Effect” wherein certain Cockapoo puppies can carry different traits from either Cocker Spaniel and/or Poodle while the rest may maintain the “Cockapoo” characteristics.
The Granddad impact is usually absent for a few weeks after delivery and can resurface anytime soon.
F1b or F2b – Further disparities can be noticed when a Cocker Spaniel or a Poodle is bred with a Cockapoo to produce F2b or F1b Cockapoo dog breeds.
Remember, an F2 and F2 can result in the F3 breed and additional research is needed to avoid line breeding within a five generation gap. Keep in mind that an F2 bred with an F3 can create an F3.
F4 and F2 can produce F3 since the growth chart will move just one step higher from the smallest available breed.
All the above-mentioned breeds are still considered to be a cockapoo dog but the difference in temperament, intelligence, appearance, shape, size etc. cannot be ruled out.
It is advisable to spend quality time in identifying the right cockapoo for your home since all the varieties may not share the hypoallergenic skin/fur. They are normally suitable for those people who are not bothered by allergies.
Dog allergies mainly include dander and dogs that are prone to shedding can also release dander in the living zone for your kind information. Overall, Cockapoos are not only easy to befriend but are also affectionate.
In general, a Cockapoo weighs around 19 pounds to start with. They measure at least 3 inches and 1 foot at the shoulder level. An adult Cockapoo is normally in the range of 25 to 38 cm height.
Usually bred in 4 varieties or 4 sizes, a Cockapoo varies from
- The Maxi Cockapoo or Standard weighs at least 19 pounds and can reach 15 inches height.
- The Mini or Miniature Cockapoo is anywhere between 11 to 14 inches tall and weighs somewhere between 13-18 pounds.
- The Toy Cockapoo can be a lot heavier at 12 pounds and can reach more than 10 inches tall.
- The Teacup Toy is the smallest of the lot with height and weight 10 inches and 6 pounds respectively.
This combination of Poodle and Cocker Spaniel mix produces that infectious Cockapoo temperament that all dog lovers world over have a reason to cheer about.
The key points to keep in mind about Cockapoos temperament:
- The temperament of a Cockapoo can vary from one puppy to another based on the kind of characteristics inherited from his forefathers.
- Mostly, they are supremely easy to handle, people-oriented, and friendly. Being a well-rounded companion dog they should never be let alone for long periods of time.
- Cockapoos can hunt well and hence keep them busy so that they don’t get bored easily.
- With proper care and a good steady training, you can easily train a cockapoo to become our everyday friend and guide.
- Cockatoos’ and cats get along very nicely and they are children-friendly too. Bear in mind, it is important to protect the young puppies from unnecessary rough play.
- Strong enough to handle physical activities like rally, obedience, flyball, and agility, a cockapoo can adapt to its owner’s lifestyle in a quick span of time.
- Starting the training as early as eight weeks is best advised since the dog can turn a bit more headstrong after six months. A dog is a dog and can show signs of counter-surfing, digging, and barking if left unattended.
- Getting the dog enrolled in a puppy kindergarten when he is anywhere between 10 and 12 weeks is the best way to teach him to socialize.
- Timely vaccination shots and vet checkups are crucial for cockapoos overall development and health. Till such important vaccines like parvovirus, distemper, and rabies are provided cockapoos must be keenly guarded.
- Talking to the breeder early before selecting the breed is vital since dog breeders can make certain useful recommendations based on the owner’s personality and requirement.
- Selecting the best cockapoo must include checking the antecedents of the puppies parents and whether they are early socializers or not.
Feeding a Cockapoo – What is the correct way to feed a Cockapoo?
Dividing the food into two portions/meals is highly welcomed with 0.25 to 0.75 cup of best quality dry food per day.
Points to bear in mind
- A dog’s intake can vary depending on its activity, metabolism, build, age, and size.
- A highly robust dog will require more dog food than a lazy bone. So, manage accordingly.
- Quality of dog food also matters because best in business dog foods can provide well-needed nourishment for your dog.
- Feeding your Cockapoo twice daily with measuring cups is the nice and effective way to ensure he is hale and healthy. For better results, conduct hands-on and eye test to know whether he is overweight or not.
- The hands-on test means to place the hands over the dogs back with fingers pointing downwards and feeling his ribs. If the ribs are not visible, then cut his food intake and design a new exercise regime straight away.
Interesting Facts on Cockapoo
Some of the interesting facts about Cockapoo:
- The Cockapoo is a silent dog. They don’t bark like other dogs. Some dogs if left alone for a long time, tend to bark.
- Mostly, they are non-shedding dog variety. Occasional hair clipping and trimming may be necessary. Daily brushings are a must.
- Suitable for allergic persons too since they shed less hair and dander.
- They can act as good companions if treated really well. Cockapoos generally gel well with pets, dogs etc.
- Maxi Cockapoo and Standard take time to adapt but a house with a small fence will do.
- One of the most intelligent dogs breeds available and needs very little training for socialization.
- Known to be moderate energy spenders; at least 20 minutes of physical activity must be enough.
- Never buy from sub-standard or unrecognized breeders if you wish to get good healthy dogs.
- Cockapoos are designer dogs’ don’t expect them to behave like purebreds.
How To Train A Cockapoo Dog?
Training a Cockapoo is as essential as training other dogs. Once a puppy is ready, then make sure to attend Cockapoo training classes without further delay.
We sincerely recommend you to follow the professional advice in particular if training is concerned.
Some of the common training techniques or methods:
Teach them recall – For any good dog ownership, teaching them to recall is the most exhilarating part of training. Keep best quality treats while training and never give up on practice at any cost. Patience is the key as always.
Offer them treats – Treat them with natural or organic treats and your local Cockapoo dog shop can certainly offer more help in this regard. Some of the favourite treats are cooked meat, Frankfurter/sausages, dried liver, and cheese etc.
The most effective method is to keep track of your dog’s daily kibble intake and train them to earn their food after performing certain activities.
Crate Training – Introduce crate training as soon as possible. Motivate your dog to use the crate at the time of feeding and offer rewards like filled Kongs if they obediently follow all your instructions. The important thing is to remain silent.
Remove collars once they are inside their den/crate to avoid injuries.
Toilet/Pee training – Train them to use certain sections of the house for toilet purposes. Naming the toilet procedure will help the dog to adapt to the owner’s command with time.
Becoming Social – Invite as many visitors as possible to your home before the Cockapoo puppy turns 3 months old. You can enrol them in pet training clinics also.
Bite Inhibition – Puppies while playing tend to bite one another when they gradually learn to adapt bite inhibition. The owner has to act and behave like a mother and make sure they don’t suffer any major injuries.
Cockapoo Health Problems
All animals including dogs are prone to suffer from some kind of health trouble which can be genetic or otherwise. They can be anything ranging from mixes, crossbreeds, or purebreds.
A breeder with good repute will in all probability be more open and honest about health issues that affect the dog. The Cockapoos health will depend on several factors including hybrid vigour trait or not.
1. Ear Problems
The Cockapoos have Cocker ears that can trap debris, dirt, and moisture. Regular checkups can be very useful in finding any abnormalities if present.
2. Liver Disease
They are two types namely copper toxicosis and chronic active hepatitis. It is not clear whether these conditions are genetic or not. Furthermore, it is better to consult with your breeder before selecting a particular breed.
A Cockapoo can suffer from three types of allergies namely
- Inhalant allergies – Mildew, dust, and pollen are the main causes of this type of airborne allergies. Generally, treatment may vary from environmental changes, medications, and dietary restrictions.
- Contact allergies – Caused due to contact with substances like dog shampoos, flea powders, and bedding etc.
- Food allergies – Specific food items are excluded from the Cockapoos diet to treat this type of allergies.
4. Hip Dysplasia
A genetic condition where the hip joint and the thighbone does not fit together properly causing an enormous amount of pain on both or one rear leg.
Moreover, long-term problems can include severe arthritis condition. Confirm with the breeder that the puppy is free from this condition.
5. Patellar Luxation
A common issue found in small size dogs, they are also called as slipped stifles. The kneecap is referred to as patella. Luxation refers to dislocation of a bone or something in a similar capacity.
A dog is said to suffer from patellar luxation if the knee joint does not sit properly causing pain and anguish. Some dogs are known to have led normal lives and many have suffered from permanent crippling of their legs.
6. Eye Problem or Cataract
This condition leads to poor visibility in older dogs and they will suffer from a cloudy eye experience. Surgery is one way to set right this condition.
Cockapoo Price/Cockapoo Life Term Maintenance Cost
Some of the key points to remember before buying a Cockapoo is
Basic Price – The minimum price to own a Cockapoo is not less than US$1000 (approx.) based on the breed excluding adoption fees of US$ 175 onwards in case you plan to adopt.
First, check if you are ready to
- Own a Cockapoo
- Hire a dog walker/ walk the dog on your own
- Take the dog for the walk- 3 times a week (average)
- Leave the dog with friends/relatives while travelling
- Spend at least US$ 200 per year as emergency care
- The total expense of owning a Cockapoo for 18 years – US$ 13,650 (approx.)
- Per year cost- US$ 700 (approx.)
- 1st-year cost- US$ 2500 (approx.)
Cockapoo Health Checkup and Treatment Cost (All prices are approx. only)
- Luxating Patellas – US$ 3500 (Top End Cost); US$ 1700 (Low-End Cost)
- IVDD – US$ 7200 (Top End Cost); US$ 2800 (Low-End Cost)
- Cataracts – US$ 5500 (Top End Cost); US$ 1600 (Low-End Cost)
Other expenses include
- Basic medical test – Microchip, basic blood tests, and de-worming
- Health Insurance – Cover varies from company to company; some may include heartworm medication, vaccinations, and neuter/spay etc.
- Continuous medication – Topical tick/flea preventative, heartworm prevention, vaccinations, and exam.
- Food – Premium-quality dry kibble
Note – If you leave the dog with the pet sitter or apply for kennel boarding while travelling then the total cost for full lifespan could range anywhere between US$ 26500 and US$ 28800 (approx.)
To find the best Cockapoo breeder state wise in America, kindly contact
- American Cockapoo Club
O. Box 101
Tigerville, SC 29688
Phone: 864-895-5721 9:00-4:00 ET
- Cockapoo Club
What do cockapoos like to do?
Cockapoos, in general, is very people friendly. If not treated properly, they have this uncanny ability to attract attention. They can come up with some kind of mischief. Some Cockapoos chew or bite furniture, jump and bark wildly, and scratch continuously.
They are good mimics. Cockapoos have the ability to undergo and negotiate agility training. Lover of puzzle toys, they are powerful chewers too. Cockapoos are emotionally attached to their owners. In this way, they can be handled as brilliant therapy dogs.
Hence, Cockapoos are made for people-dogs without any doubt.
How much should cockapoo weigh?
A normal healthy Cockapoo can weigh anywhere between 12 to 18 pounds. The Maxi Cockapoo can reach 15 inches tall and can weigh anywhere around 19 pounds.
The Standard Cockapoo can grow 11 to 14 inches tall and can weigh around 13 pounds (Max-18 pounds). The Toy ones can weigh anywhere near 12 pounds and stand 10 inches tall.
Do cockapoo shed a lot?
Yes, when they turn into adult Cockapoos from puppies it naturally happens. This process is unavoidable but regular grooming( daily twice) will help to reduce hair shedding.
How big are cockapoo dogs?
A Cockapoo dog is a hybrid-dog; cross between a poodle and Cocker Spaniel. Cockapoos are not known to be big dogs.
Mass – 5.4 to 11 kg (adult dogs)
Height/Reach – Minimum 25 to Maximum 38 cm (adult dogs)
What is an F2 cockapoo?
The breeding of 2 F1 dogs can produce F2 Cockapoo varieties. This combination can result in a condition called “The Granddad Effect”. In this state, some puppies can inherit unique traits from either a poodle or Cocker Spaniel while some may imbibe the characteristics of their parents.
For eg – Some of the puppies can inherit the Spaniel coat from their grandparents while others might carry the Cockapoo trait of their parents.
What is the difference between f1 and f2 puppies?
F1 Cockapoo is produced when two pedigree dog varieties namely a Poodle and Cocker Spaniel are paired together. The breeding of 2 F1 dogs can produce F2 Cockapoo varieties.
Even though F1 breeds are the first generation dogs, the coat and look combination might vary depending on the parent the F1 take after.
What are the colours of Cockapoos?
A Cockapoo can be found in wide color varieties, for instance, they can range from black, chocolate, blonde, silver, and red. They can also be in the shades of all these mentioned basic colors such as silver beige, chocolate sable, white and red party etc.
Are all cockapoos hypoallergenic?
Since Cockapoos carry the traits of Poodle in their blood, they are at times branded as hypoallergic. Remember, allergies are not because of a particular dog fur coat type but mostly by dander.
What is the average life expectancy of a cockapoo?
Cockapoos tend to live anywhere from 14 to 18 years. Cocker Spaniels and Purebred Poodles can get affected by luxating patellas problem and this may affect their offspring too.
Are cockapoo puppies easy to train?
Yes, they are nice and easy to train. With proper positive reinforcements and quality training, you can turn the Cockapoo puppy into a lifelong companion.
Bear in mind that the temperament, size, and looks can distinctly vary from purebreds since it is difficult to exactly guess which trait from their parents will shine in any Cockapoo dog.
Are cockapoo dogs aggressive?
Yes, they can be at times but not always. Lunging, snapping, barking, and pushing is clear signs of aggression.
Some tips to handle aggressive Cockapoos are
- Applying the “Seven rules” can be quite effective. Take your dog outdoors to meet seven new friends, treat him to seven new sounds, and allow him to explore seven new places to start with. Socializing is the only way to fine-tune their aggressive behavior.
- Enrolling in puppy classes can help to a certain extent in controlling their rough hostile behavior.
- He might learn from other dog’s behavior.
- Train him on a leash and take your dogs on long regular walks. Don’t allow him to remain alone for long.
- Last resort, take him to a vet or dog specialist (behavior).
Is Cockapoo good with cats?
Normally, yes. Cockapoos which are raised well and lovingly cared should behave well with other pets including cats, dogs etc. It is better to test them for temperament and health-related problems otherwise they might later show up as a genetic mess.
Can Cockapoo puppies hyper?
A dog can become hyper for several other reasons. But in the case of a Cockapoo, he might suffer from a lack of physical and mental simulation due to the excitement of seeing new friends etc.
Tips to handle hyper Cockapoo puppies
- Introduce your dog to aromatherapy. Pheromone collars are said to produce calming effects on a Cockapoo. Keep in mind that all dogs have super sensitive noses.
- Avoid showing signs of stress or nervous activity when your dog is around. Cockapoos are good emotional mood mimics.
- Restrain from encouraging bad behavior. In this way, they can be taught that nothing can be taken for granted. First of all, remain patient.
- Train him regularly to exhibit obedient behavior. By this method, aggressively behaving Cockapoos can be trained well to act responsibly.
- Distract your dog with certain dog specific activities like making him carry a specially made backpack. Do not overload at any cost.
- Walk the dog. Take him for long, quick walks. Try to include “Fetch the ball/toy” activity to spend/drain off his energy in a positive playful manner.
Are cockapoos barkers?
Cockapoos are not known for their barking ability. Some might bark when they catch strangers approaching them or while left alone without any assistance for a long duration.
Is Cockapoo smart?
Cockapoos are designer hybrid dogs which are popular since the 60s. They are almost odorless, smart, and intelligent. They shed less by nature and also carry the Spaniel’s loving, easygoing traits.
How much does a Cockapoo cost?
A Cockapoo can cost anywhere in the vicinity of US$ 1000 and are sometimes even sold for US$ 800 or less. A good quality poodle can cost around US$ 1000 onwards and can reach US$ 3000. Buy only from recognized licensed AKC breeder to avoid any future disappointments.
How much to feed a Cockapoo?
Depending on the dog’s breed and weight, the dog feed might vary. In normal cases, a dog weighing somewhere between 11 -25 pounds can be fed 1.5-2.25 cups daily.
How often to bathe Cockapoo?
Adult Cockapoos have the capacity to grow at least 15 cms of a fur coat. It takes professional hands to trim and maintain full length.
Straight looking coated dogs can be left undisturbed to maintain their natural length. They must be bathed and brushed a couple of times per week and every 2 to 3 months respectively.
How to groom a Cockapoo?
Before you decide to groom your Cockapoo, please carefully study the shape and size of his fur coat and its variations. It will be better if you take your dog to a professional dog groomer.
Other than that, take into account the place where a Cockapoo resides and choose the appropriate style like rainy weather, muddy walks etc.
Several tips regarding how to groom a Cockapoo with ease
- Trim eye hair growth – Trim the hair around his eyes using thinning scissors. Remove extra hair or fur near the fringe. Let their faces look clear and beautiful.
- Beard trim – Beard trimming is effective because they can get dirty and wet due to rain etc.
- Clean rinse – Never forget to rinse the coat at-least thrice or more before the whole coat is cleared. Loose hair and any remaining conditioner residue will be washed away in this process.
- An easy way to dry – Use a Dog Blaster to drain away the excess water and never forget to place the dryer’s nozzle at a distance of 30 cms from the coat. Avoid brushing while the fur is wet.
- On a normal sunny day, it takes an hour to dry.
- Summer Cut – Removing the excess hair growth between its groin to front legs will keep the Cockapoo going even in hot summer conditions.
- Teddy Bear trim – If you are not in a position to spend a lot of time for grooming, then the easy way is to choose a “Teddy Bear” trim.
Simple Cockapoo Grooming Ideas
- Clean the eyes, ears and followed by a nice cool bath.
- Dry clean and clip the nails.
- Now, comb the fur and hair.
- Trim the body coat-tummy, sides, back, and chest
- Proceed with forelegs trim.
- Next focus on the hind legs.
- Then, trim bottom end-parts and tail.
- Shape and trim the hair on face, head, and neck.
- Finally, comb the fur and move your hands through the coat.
- Greet him with a treat for his obedient co-operation.
How many cockapoos in a litter?
The normal average litter capacity is 4 to 6 puppies.
Why does a Cockapoo puppy growl?
The basic reason is that untrained Cockapoos can react by growling or nipping when they believe that their private space is occupied by someone else. Taking the dog to a professional trainer can imbibe obedience lessons.
Next, buy a nice cosy dog bed or crate. Teach him to use it even while feeding. The situation will improve after some time.
Why is my Cockapoo shaking?
There are several reasons behind a Cockapoo shaking his head or losing balance. First, notice the dog’s eye movement and check for anything unusual. See whether the dog roams around in circles or shows sign of hearing loss.
If the Cockapoo turns aggressive and violent, this may be due to pain. Never hesitate to ask for professional support immediately.
Why does my Cockapoo sleep so much?
The Cockapoos usually spend around 7 or 8 hours of sleep. In any given one session, they spend at least a minimum of 4 hours in the den/crate. It is a normal behaviour and nothing much to worry about.
What's good and bad about Cockapoo?
First, let us discuss the good things about a Cockapoo
- People friendly, high energy, and playful
- Smart and Intelligent
- Very easy to train
- Easy to maintain in apartments
There are not many disadvantages with a Cockapoo other than
- Does not tolerate being left alone
- Very low barking ability
- Grooming can be quite tricky at times
What age will a Cockapoo be fully grown?
It could be somewhere between 6 to 9 months since it is quite difficult to guess the growth rate because of the dog’s mixed parentage.
What is the best-coloured Cockapoo?
The Cockapoos normally appear in different colors. Some of the colors are Black with tan or red, white and black, white and chocolate, solid black, peach, apricot, or light red etc.
Where did the Cockapoo come from?
It is a hybrid mix of a Cocker spaniel and a Poodle and they are popular in America since the 50’s.
Can a Cockapoo hunt?
The Cockapoo was initially bred for Woodstock hunting. The Cockapoo’s other parent, the Poodle, was originally bred for water retrieval activities. The Mini sized Poodle was also meant to be a hunting dog.
Will my Cockapoo go curly?
The Cockapoo, a mix of a Poodle and Cocker Spaniel, F1b cockapoo in most cases will have a solid curly coat. All types of cockapoos will mostly require frequent grooming to avoid matting.
What my cockapoo will not eat?
- First of all, feed your dog based on its daily routine and size. It is best recommended to continue the same type of food that was given by shelter workers.
- They usually love chicken, cubed liver (boiled) etc. Avoid feeding them with cooked bones at all, because they can cause splinter problem.
- Do not feed macadamia nuts, onions, raisins, and chocolate which can be dangerous.
Can a cockapoo be left alone?
As a matter of fact, no pet should be left alone. In case if it is not possible then it is better to leave your dog under the care of your relative or in any dog shelter.
Can a cockapoo jump?
Yes, they can jump well. Some of them jump so well like they are grasshoppers, flying like super dogs. Their powerful back legs aid this kind of jumping.
Cockapoo breeders in America?
Some of the recognized cockapoo breeders in America
- American Cockapoo Club
O. Box 101
Tigerville, SC 29688
- Cockapoo of Excellence
E3470 Pagel Rd – Iola, Wi.54945
DATCP LIC # 267969-DS
Phone – 715-445-5894
- Eden Orchards American Cockapoos
What to do when a cockapoo get diarrhea?
It is better to take your dog to the nearest vet as soon as possible. Please avoid administering self-medication since it can lead to unforeseen health trouble.
A dog could suffer from diarrhea due to any of these known causes
- Intestinal parasites
- Hormonal imbalances
- Liver problem
- Inflammatory bowel trouble
- Diet Intolerance
- Viral and bacterial infections