Find Top Rated Breeders In Your Area
A cute lovable small dog which is always smart and cheerful, the first of a kind designer dog, the Cockapoo is a mix between Poodle and Cocker Spaniel. They have scruffy coats and bright eyes. Cockapoos are excellent companions.
Renowned domestic pets in America since the 50’s, Cockapoos are one of a kind hybrid dog variety. It feels really good to have a cockapoo dog around but is they the right type for everyone is a million dollar question.
Cockapoo Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: United States of America
- Size: Small to medium
- Dog Breed Group: Working
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan: 14 to 18 years
- Height: 15 inches
- Weight: 19 to 30 lbs
- Coat Appearance: Straight, Lengthy, Curly
- Coat Colors: Red, Black, Brown, Cream, Silver, White
- Temperament: Smart, Cheerful, Friendly, People-oriented, Affectionate
- Good With Children: Yes
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Grooming: Moderate
- Shedding: Low
- Barking: Rare
- Suitable For Apartments: Yes
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: Yes
- Good For First Time Owners: Yes
- Health Issues: Hip Dysplasia, Cataracts, Patellar Luxation, Ear Infections
- Litter Size: 4 to 6 puppies
- Average Price: $1000 (approximate)
Different Types of Cockapoo Dog Breeds
F1 – The first mix/cross between a poodle and Cocker Spaniel will produce “F1 “ Cockapoo.
The most stable combination that results in creating “Hybrid-Vigor” where the offsprings are expected to grow at least an inch bigger/taller than their parents after reaching adulthood.
The line breeding/in-breeding is not at all a concern in this hybrid.
F2 – The breeding of 2 F1 Cockapoos can result in producing an F2 Cockapoo breed dog.
The main area of contention is the “Granddad Effect” wherein certain Cockapoo puppies can carry different traits from either Cocker Spaniel and/or Poodle while the rest may maintain the “Cockapoo” characteristics.
The Granddad impact is usually absent for a few weeks after delivery and can resurface anytime soon.
F1b or F2b – Further disparities can be noticed when a Cocker Spaniel or a Poodle is bred with a Cockapoo to produce F2b or F1b Cockapoo dog breeds.
Remember, an F2 and F2 can result in the F3 breed and additional research is needed to avoid line breeding within a five generation gap. Keep in mind that an F2 bred with an F3 can create an F3.
F4 and F2 can produce F3 since the growth chart will move just one step higher from the smallest available breed.
All the above-mentioned breeds are still considered to be a cockapoo dog but the difference in temperament, intelligence, appearance, shape, size etc. cannot be ruled out.
It is advisable to spend quality time in identifying the right cockapoo for your home since all the varieties may not share the hypoallergenic skin/fur. They are normally suitable for those people who are not bothered by allergies.
Dog allergies mainly include dander and dogs that are prone to shedding can also release dander in the living zone for your kind information. Overall, Cockapoos are not only easy to befriend but are also affectionate.
The lifespan of a well maintained healthy Cockapoo can be anywhere between 14 and 18 years.
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
In general, a Cockapoo weighs around 19 pounds to start with. They measure at least 3 inches and 1 foot at the shoulder level. An adult Cockapoo is normally in the range of 25 to 38 cm height.
Usually bred in 4 varieties or 4 sizes, a Cockapoo varies from
The Maxi Cockapoo or Standard weighs at least 19 pounds and can reach 15 inches height.
The Mini or Miniature Cockapoo is anywhere between 11 to 14 inches tall and weighs somewhere between 13-18 pounds.
The Toy Cockapoo can be a lot heavier at 12 pounds and can reach more than 10 inches tall.
The Teacup Toy is the smallest of the lot with height and weight 10 inches and 6 pounds respectively.
This combination of Poodle and Cocker Spaniel mix produces that infectious Cockapoo temperament that all dog lovers world over have a reason to cheer about.
The key points to keep in mind about Cockapoos temperament:
- The temperament of a Cockapoo can vary from one puppy to another based on the kind of characteristics inherited from his forefathers.
- Mostly, they are supremely easy to handle, people-oriented, and friendly. Being a well-rounded companion dog they should never be let alone for long periods of time.
- Cockapoos can hunt well and hence keep them busy so that they don’t get bored easily.
- With proper care and a good steady training, you can easily train a cockapoo to become our everyday friend and guide.
- Cockatoos’ and cats get along very nicely and they are children-friendly too. Bear in mind, it is important to protect the young puppies from unnecessary rough play.
- Strong enough to handle physical activities like rally, obedience, flyball, and agility, a cockapoo can adapt to its owner’s lifestyle in a quick span of time.
- Starting the training as early as eight weeks is best advised since the dog can turn a bit more headstrong after six months. A dog is a dog and can show signs of counter-surfing, digging, and barking if left unattended.
- Getting the dog enrolled in a puppy kindergarten when he is anywhere between 10 and 12 weeks is the best way to teach him to socialize.
- Timely vaccination shots and vet checkups are crucial for cockapoos overall development and health. Till such important vaccines like parvovirus, distemper, and rabies are provided cockapoos must be keenly guarded.
- Talking to the breeder early before selecting the breed is vital since dog breeders can make certain useful recommendations based on the owner’s personality and requirement.
- Selecting the best cockapoo must include checking the antecedents of the puppies parents and whether they are early socializers or not.
Feeding a Cockapoo – What is the correct way to feed a Cockapoo?
Dividing the food into two portions/meals is highly welcomed with 0.25 to 0.75 cup of best quality dry food per day.
Points to bear in mind
- A dog’s intake can vary depending on its activity, metabolism, build, age, and size.
- A highly robust dog will require more dog food than a lazy bone. So, manage accordingly.
- Quality of dog food also matters because best in business dog foods can provide well-needed nourishment for your dog.
- Feeding your Cockapoo twice daily with measuring cups is the nice and effective way to ensure he is hale and healthy. For better results, conduct hands-on and eye test to know whether he is overweight or not.
- The hands-on test means to place the hands over the dogs back with fingers pointing downwards and feeling his ribs. If the ribs are not visible, then cut his food intake and design a new exercise regime straight away.
How To Train A Cockapoo Dog?
Training a Cockapoo is as essential as training other dogs. Once a puppy is ready, then make sure to attend Cockapoo training classes without further delay.
We sincerely recommend you to follow the professional advice in particular if training is concerned.
Some of the common training techniques or methods:
Teach them recall – For any good dog ownership, teaching them to recall is the most exhilarating part of training. Keep best quality treats while training and never give up on practice at any cost. Patience is the key as always.
Offer them treats – Treat them with natural or organic treats and your local Cockapoo dog shop can certainly offer more help in this regard. Some of the favourite treats are cooked meat, Frankfurter/sausages, dried liver, and cheese etc.
The most effective method is to keep track of your dog’s daily kibble intake and train them to earn their food after performing certain activities.
Crate Training – Introduce crate training as soon as possible. Motivate your dog to use the crate at the time of feeding and offer rewards like filled Kongs if they obediently follow all your instructions. The important thing is to remain silent.
Remove collars once they are inside their den/crate to avoid injuries.
Toilet/Pee training – Train them to use certain sections of the house for toilet purposes. Naming the toilet procedure will help the dog to adapt to the owner’s command with time.
Becoming Social – Invite as many visitors as possible to your home before the Cockapoo puppy turns 3 months old. You can enrol them in pet training clinics also.
Bite Inhibition – Puppies while playing tend to bite one another when they gradually learn to adapt bite inhibition. The owner has to act and behave like a mother and make sure they don’t suffer any major injuries.
Interesting Facts on Cockapoo
Some of the interesting facts about Cockapoo:
- The Cockapoo is a silent dog. They don’t bark like other dogs. Some dogs if left alone for a long time, tend to bark.
- Mostly, they are non-shedding dog variety. Occasional hair clipping and trimming may be necessary. Daily brushings are a must.
- Suitable for allergic persons too since they shed less hair and dander.
- They can act as good companions if treated really well. Cockapoos generally gel well with pets, dogs etc.
- Maxi Cockapoo and Standard take time to adapt but a house with a small fence will do.
- One of the most intelligent dogs breeds available and needs very little training for socialization.
- Known to be moderate energy spenders; at least 20 minutes of physical activity must be enough.
- Never buy from sub-standard or unrecognized breeders if you wish to get good healthy dogs.
- Cockapoos are designer dogs’ don’t expect them to behave like purebreds.
Cockapoo Health Problems
All animals including dogs are prone to suffer from some kind of health trouble which can be genetic or otherwise. They can be anything ranging from mixes, crossbreeds, or purebreds.
A breeder with good repute will in all probability be more open and honest about health issues that affect the dog. The Cockapoos health will depend on several factors including hybrid vigour trait or not.
1. Ear Problems
The Cockapoos have Cocker ears that can trap debris, dirt, and moisture. Regular checkups can be very useful in finding any abnormalities if present.
2. Liver Disease
They are two types namely copper toxicosis and chronic active hepatitis. It is not clear whether these conditions are genetic or not. Furthermore, it is better to consult with your breeder before selecting a particular breed.
A Cockapoo can suffer from three types of allergies namely
- Inhalant allergies – Mildew, dust, and pollen are the main causes of this type of airborne allergies. Generally, treatment may vary from environmental changes, medications, and dietary restrictions.
- Contact allergies – Caused due to contact with substances like dog shampoos, flea powders, and bedding etc.
- Food allergies – Specific food items are excluded from the Cockapoos diet to treat this type of allergies.
4. Hip Dysplasia
A genetic condition where the hip joint and the thighbone does not fit together properly causing an enormous amount of pain on both or one rear leg.
Moreover, long-term problems can include severe arthritis condition. Confirm with the breeder that the puppy is free from this condition.
5. Patellar Luxation
A common issue found in small size dogs, they are also called as slipped stifles. The kneecap is referred to as patella. Luxation refers to dislocation of a bone or something in a similar capacity.
A dog is said to suffer from patellar luxation if the knee joint does not sit properly causing pain and anguish. Some dogs are known to have led normal lives and many have suffered from permanent crippling of their legs.
6. Eye Problem or Cataract
This condition leads to poor visibility in older dogs and they will suffer from a cloudy eye experience. Surgery is one way to set right this condition.
Cockapoo Price/Cockapoo Life Term Maintenance Cost
Some of the key points to remember before buying a Cockapoo is
Basic Price – The minimum price to own a Cockapoo is not less than US$1000 (approx.) based on the breed excluding adoption fees of US$ 175 onwards in case you plan to adopt.
First, check if you are ready to
- Own a Cockapoo
- Hire a dog walker/ walk the dog on your own
- Take the dog for the walk- 3 times a week (average)
- Leave the dog with friends/relatives while travelling
- Spend at least US$ 200 per year as emergency care
- The total expense of owning a Cockapoo for 18 years – US$ 13,650 (approx.)
- Per year cost- US$ 700 (approx.)
- 1st-year cost- US$ 2500 (approx.)
Cockapoo Health Checkup and Treatment Cost (All prices are approx. only)
- Luxating Patellas – US$ 3500 (Top End Cost); US$ 1700 (Low-End Cost)
- IVDD – US$ 7200 (Top End Cost); US$ 2800 (Low-End Cost)
- Cataracts – US$ 5500 (Top End Cost); US$ 1600 (Low-End Cost)
Other expenses include
- Basic medical test – Microchip, basic blood tests, and de-worming
- Health Insurance – Cover varies from company to company; some may include heartworm medication, vaccinations, and neuter/spay etc.
- Continuous medication – Topical tick/flea preventative, heartworm prevention, vaccinations, and exam.
- Food – Premium-quality dry kibble
Note – If you leave the dog with the pet sitter or apply for kennel boarding while travelling then the total cost for full lifespan could range anywhere between US$ 26500 and US$ 28800 (approx.)
To find the best Cockapoo breeder state wise in America, kindly contact
- American Cockapoo Club
O. Box 101
Tigerville, SC 29688
Phone: 864-895-5721 9:00-4:00 ET
- Cockapoo Club