Spaying is nothing but removing a female dog’s reproductive organs. The vet removes her ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus during spaying. The other name of spaying is ovariohysterectomy. Generally, this procedure is done on household dogs, and stray dogs.
Find Top Rated Breeders In Your Area
- Is It Necessary To Spay My Female Dog?
- Benefits Of Spaying
- Drawbacks Of Spaying
- When To Spay My Female Dog?
- Best Age To Spay A Dog
- Will Spaying Calm A Female Dog?
- How Long Will My Dog Be In Pain After Spaying?
- Female Dog Behavior After Spaying
- How Much Will Cost Spaying a Dog?
- Alternative To Spaying A Dog
Is It Necessary To Spay My Female Dog?
Yes, it is necessary to spay your female dog –
- If you are unable to take care of the number of litters your dog reproduce.
- Cannot control your dog from roaming, leading to the risk of losing your dog and being injured or killed on roadways.
Benefits Of Spaying
Spaying has a lot of benefits:
- Reduces risk of pyometra or mammary gland cancer
- Reduces overpopulation
- Saves your dog from males during the heat
- Eliminates the odor often associated with a dog in heat
Drawbacks Of Spaying
- Splenic hemangiosarcoma and cardiac hemangiosarcoma
- Urinary “spay incontinence”
- Persistent or recurring urinary tract infections
- Risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, when female dogs are spayed before puberty
- Minimal risk (<1%) of urinary tract tumors
- Orthopedic disorders
- Adverse reactions to vaccinations
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
When To Spay My Female Dog?
You can spay her at any time after she becomes eight weeks old. But, it is better to spay her before the occurrence of the first heat cycle. Also, note that the first heat cycle differs every breed. Besides, each individual should have a talk with their personal vets for spaying.
Adding to, several factors may affect the timing of spaying
- Breed of your dog – Research says that larger dog breeds mature later than their smaller counterparts
- Living situation – A male and female belong to the same litter, who are living in the same house should be spayed earlier. But, an urgency to spay is less if your dog is only living in the house
- Health issues – Before spaying, a pet owner should ensure that her dog is not having any health issues
Best Age To Spay A Dog
The best age to spay your dog is from six to nine months from her birth. But if a spay clinic or shelter may spay your dog safe, you can spay her when she is two months old.
Will Spaying Calm A Female Dog?
Spaying changes the hormone levels of your dog. Some dogs get calm by spaying, but it can encourage more aggressive behaviors.
How Long Will My Dog Be In Pain After Spaying?
Your dog will recover from spaying after 10 to 14 days.
Female Dog Behavior After Spaying
Spaying may affect the behaviors related to her heat cycle
- Roaming in heat
- Frequent urination and bloody discharge
If your dog is having the above-mentioned behaviors even after spaying, please get advice from your vet.
How Much Will Cost Spaying a Dog?
Spaying cost depends on the geographical area and the size of the dog. The cost may range from $45 to $135, but some hospitals charge more than $300.
Alternative To Spaying A Dog
Nowadays, ovariohysterectomy (OVA) is replaced by ovariectomy (OVE), that is removing one or both ovaries, but OVE has been in use in Europe for several years.