Can Dogs Eat Sweet Potatoes? The health benefits offered by sweet potatoes are one and the same for dogs just like humans. Moreover, eating fibre definitely reduces the chances of certain types of cancers and heart risk.
In addition, sweet potatoes work as a complete food. In fact, they are not prone to cause damage or an immune response to the digestive system. As a result, this is the reason why sweet potatoes are a dependable source of carbohydrate.
- Can Dogs Eat Sweet Potatoes? - Video And Infographic
- Health Benefits Of Sweet Potatoes For Dogs
- Can Dogs With Diabetes Eat Sweet Potatoes?
- What’s The Right Way To Prepare Sweet Potatoes?
- Side-effects Of Feeding Excessive Sweet Potatoes
- How Much(Sweet Potato) Is Safe For Dogs?
- Home-made Sweet Potato Recipe For Dogs
Can Dogs Eat Sweet Potatoes? - Video And Infographic
Health Benefits Of Sweet Potatoes For Dogs
In fact, sweet potatoes contain various vital nutrients. Some of them include iron, potassium, calcium, and vitamins C, B6, and A.
For instance, vitamin C is necessary for the effective functioning of the immune system. On the other hand, vitamin A steadies the skin, manages the nerves, muscles, and the eyes.
Furthermore, studies have recognized that dogs, just like us, exhibit strong resistance to diseases. And dogs show a better recovery rate from illness when provided with the all-powerful vitamin C.
Can Dogs With Diabetes Eat Sweet Potatoes?
For dogs that remain less active, obese, or diabetic, dog lovers should plan carefully. They should only feed a very minimal quantity of sweet potatoes.
What’s The Right Way To Prepare Sweet Potatoes?
When feeding your pet with sweet potatoes, ensure that they are cooked and also, the skin is peeled. The reason is simple. And, leaving the skin makes it difficult for dogs to digest sweet potatoes.
Especially, you better avoid feeding your dog with an uncooked sweet potato. In fact, raw sweet potatoes are harder to chew and at the same time, they can cause intestinal blockage.
Remember, some dogs have the habit of inhaling their food. So, potatoes that are soft reduces the danger of choking.
Side-effects Of Feeding Excessive Sweet Potatoes
Yes, excessive intake of sweet potatoes can cause muscle and bone weakness. Also, carbohydrates rich foods like sweet potatoes should never remain as a dog’s only source of food. Moreover, animal protein should also become part of a dog’s diet regularly.
How Much(Sweet Potato) Is Safe For Dogs?
Like with other human food, moderation remains the key. Not to mention, the right amount is based on various criteria such as your pet’s overall health, activity level, and size.
Home-made Sweet Potato Recipe For Dogs
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cup of wheat flour
- ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce
- Cook sweet potato for 6 minutes until it tender.
- Discard skin and scope flesh in a bowl.
- Mash the flesh of the sweet potato.
- Mix 2 eggs, wheat flour, applesauce with mashed potato until a dough forms.
- Roll dough into ½ inch thick and cut it using a cookie cutter.
- Arrange it in an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake it for 35 to 45 minutes until crisp.
- Cool it for 10 minutes.
- Serve this treat for your dogs.
The Final Words
Before introducing any brand new products in your dog’s diet, you first contact your vet. Therefore, if you ask ‘ Can dogs eat sweet potatoes?”, the answer is yes and as with human foods, dog foods should be individualized