Giardia is a dangerous parasite that affects dogs and unfortunately, this parasite can be tracked all over the globe. Not to mention, there are lots of many precautionary steps which every dog owner can follow to save their dog from Giardia. Thankfully, we have ample information about giardia and let’s discuss them in detail with respect to giardia in dogs.
1. Giardia In Dogs
Uniquely, giardia is a single cell organism which dwells in the intestines of amphibians, birds, and mammals. At present, the various “assemblages” of Giardia as it’s called and each and every assemblage attacks one group of animals.
Moreover, all Giardia assemblages carry the same kind of transmission and life cycle.
Stages of Giardia:
Stage 1 – Trophozoites or mature parasites – They live and multiply in the intestines.
Stage 2 – Cysts – Cysts are present in the infected animal’s faeces and are known to survive for many weeks. However, cysts turn into mature parasites when ingested by some host and they repeat their life process.
2. How Giardia Spreads In Dogs?
First and foremost, your dog must somehow get ingested and it can happen in one of the many ways such as
- Drinking faeces-contaminated water or eating grass containing faeces.
- Also, dogs love to taste things such as drinking water stagnated in a puddle, eating poop, or chewing on a bone etc. Therefore, they can contract giardia in any way.
- Dogs are capable enough to spread giardia to other dogs and hence consult your vet if any of your pets show signs of Giardia.
3. How Does Giardia Affect Your Dogs?
Giardia does not generally cause problems, but however when it does affect it can create a lot of problems. In other words, Giardiasis refers to the infection and like in humans, diarrhoea remains the number 1 symptom.
Notably, the parasite curtails and decreases your dog’s capacity to regularly absorb electrolytes, water, and nutrients. Moreover, weight loss and diarrhoea sets in.
Also, diarrhoea can remain continual or intermittent and failure can lead to death in certain cases. In general, this disease severely affects old dogs, dogs having compromised immune network, and puppies.
Main Symptoms Of Giardia In Dogs
The only way to confirm whether your pet suffers from Giardia or not is to contact a vet. In addition, there are various symptoms of giardia that every dog owner must be aware of. They are
- Poor fur condition or coat appearance
- Vomiting sensation or vomiting
- Lack of weight gain
- Loss of weight
4. Giardia Treatment In Dogs
Your vet will carry out several tests and then discuss an individual treatment plan for your dog if he has giardia.
Caution – Call your vet immediately when your dog shows signs of diarrhoea.
5. How To Safeguard Your Dogs From Dangerous Giardia?
Simple things every dog owner can follow which can go a long way in preventing giardia:
- Ensure your dog has access to clean and pure water round the clock. Thereby, you are stopping your dog from drinking water from dirty puddles.
- In case, you live in an area where the tap water contains giardia, install an effective filter that removes the cyst. Also, you can offer boiled water at room temperature.
- The most important step is taking general hygiene and dental related hygiene very effectively.
- In essence, you can avoid taking your dog to areas which contain dog faeces. Moreover, training of your dog and boarding facilities must be ensured with clean and disinfect yards and runs are mostly free from giardia and other killer diseases.
6. Does Giardia Kill Humans?
- In fact, keeping your hands clean after handling dog faeces is a simple way to protect yourself.
- By avoiding dirty water especially during travel and use a water filter in case your water source contains giardia.
- In particular, giardia can reside in soil and food, so clean all products and keep your hands clean.
- Overall, you cannot curtail giardia using your regular heartworm, tick, and flea and pest preservatives.