A three-year-old energetic Shih Tzu in the U.K. dies after contracting leishmaniasis.
In England, dog lovers are maintaining a strict vigil after a dog died due to leishmaniasis. The dog had never left England on a rather surprising note.
According to experts, leishmaniasis is a powerful parasitic disease spread by careless bites from affected female sand flies. These flies are not found in England and seen in tropical or subtropical climates.
The Vet institution in Hatfield told reporters that this is the first reported case in England.
Vets feel the dog ingested the disease from another dog who was living with it. This canine showed signs of leishmaniasis and was put down in six months.
Canines and other animals can spread the disease through biting. The good news is that non-human animals can’t send leishmaniasis to humans.
But, humans can get leishmaniasis through the bite of a sandfly.
These diseases are not well known in England because of their rarity. They are becoming popular now in Europe.
Experts suggest England vets adapt themselves because of more canines being adopted from countries having sand flies.
As per expert opinion, there are two different types of leishmaniasis. They are visceral leishmaniasis and cutaneous leishmaniasis. The former affects internal organs while the latter causes skin problems.
What vets say about infected dogs?
Almost all dogs will ingest the visceral leishmaniasis. At least ninety-percent will have cutaneous leishmaniasis.
Signs of Visceral Leishmaniasis
The clinical signs include-
- Blood in the feces
- Nose bleeding
- Weight loss
Some dogs can develop an enlarged spleen, swollen lymph nodes, and kidney failure.
Signs of Cutaneous Leishmaniasis
- Hard skin bumps
- Hair loss
- Hardening of footpads and muzzle
If you believe your pet has contracted leishmaniasis, talk to your vet immediately. It requires a new medicine from the CDC to control this disease.