Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Marijuana toxicity or poisoning in dogs is on the rise with the decriminalization and legalization of the product.
With the increased popularity for synthetic versions, marijuana toxicity in dogs is steadily on the rise.
Can you imagine this scenario?
Your dog sleeping on the sofa with foolish grins on their calm faces giggling at one-liners that are not at all funny.
The concept of dogs getting high may seem illogical, but it’s no ordinary matter.
How to prevent marijuana poisoning in dogs?
Dogs and Marijuana
- Dogs or cats are just as weak – just like us. They are prone to getting sick.
- Dogs are easily tempted to cannabis.
- The latest report confirms that a large percentage of cannabis has been bought after the legalization in 2018.
- The introduction of cannabis edibles later this year will increase the risk of poisoning to a greater extent. Medical cannabis is also dangerous for dogs or pets.
- A large population of older adults we work is given medical cannabis for treatment. Planning is the only way to prevent any untoward situation.
Psychotropic effects on Dogs
Dogs are affected by-
- Inhaling cannabis smoke
- Ingesting medical or recreational cannabis
The duration of intoxication depends on several factors that include-
- The pet’s size
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) quantity
- Amount consumed
Experts consider cannabis toxicity as a rare condition but a dog’s ability to discover interesting smells cannot be taken lightly.
Dogs, by nature, are more prone to the risks of psychotropic side-effects of THC.
Tips To Safeguard Your Dog From A Potential Cannabis Poisoning
Store in a safe place
Keep all cannabis products under lock and key. This list also includes bong water, roaches, or cigarette butts.
An empty stainless steel bottle is a safe option.
Educate yourself about signs of cannabis poisoning
Common signs of cannabis toxicity include-
- Dribbling urine
- Fluctuations in heart beat rate
- Difference in temperature
- Unusual barking or vocalization
- Dilated pupils
- Disorientation or giddiness
- Irregular movements
- Balance disturbances
- Coma, tremors, and seizures
Call your vet immediately if you suspect cannabis toxicity.
Call for help
- Get medical care so that a vet can regulate or monitor your dogs or cats vital parameters.
- Cannabis toxicity can continue or stop within a few days after exposure.
- Call PetPoisonHelpline at 855-764-7661 for immediate assistance for a small fee of $50 USD.
Avoid Hemp As Well
- Both medical and recreational cannabis is harmful
- Medical cannabis is found in thick or concentrated forms including oils.
- Pets are exposed to these items as part of a treatment for anxiety and pain.
- It contains around 0.3 percent of THC.
- Without a vet approval, avoid giving cannabis in any form to your pet.
Taking note of these simple tips, you can save your dog’s life from marijuana poisoning.
Weed For Pet Ailments
Is Hunt a bit overexcited? Ruby feeling uneasy… Israeli startup company Weedley launches organic hemp-derived CBD oil in different forms for horses, cats, and dogs.
The concept of CBD is not new for animals. These products are sold along with cannabis. They provide relief from pet aggression, allergies, inflammation, skin conditions, arthritis, seizures, anxiety, stress, and pain.
Weedley’s team include Sahar Meiron, Itay Ben Mordechai, and vet Dr. Erez Hanael.
According to Dr. Erez Hanael, “There are many products that contain cannabis extract. We wanted to create something more reliable and effective.”
How Weedley started its operation?
Sahar Meiron explains, “One of my friend’s father was consuming medical cannabis. Parkinson’s disease made him weak. It started that way”
Sahar is handling Weedley’s operations and sales.
The team claims CBD oil reduces the stress caused by thunderstorms in pets.
Weedley was part of Gour Medical, a French-based company dealing in commercial vet products.
Weedley’s oil treats, balms, and drops are obtained from Cannabis Sativa, a substance containing more percentage of CBD.
The company’s website enables pet lovers to choose the right product for their pet. It’s sold online, distributed from Holland, the company’s logistics center.
In association with Pet Pace, Weedley is now studying how CBD can treat osteoarthritis signs in dogs and cats.
Meiron says, “There are a lot of opportunities. Perhaps, CBD can improve milk production in cows. We will soon open our own research lab as well as an extraction center.”
“We sincerely hope that this venture of ours can guide many pet lovers to improve their pet’s life in a short span of time.”
California Vets Could Recommend Medical Marijuana
The California Senate voted to allow pet lovers of age 18 or more buy medical marijuana for pets if a vet has recommended it.
The main aim of this bill is to give protection to vets. This bill would now prevent the Vet Board from stopping vets who prescribe marijuana.