Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Why Do Dogs Bark?
Dogs are generally social creatures which love to mingle and be surrounded by people. Barking is their way of communication so when they bark occasionally don’t panic.
However, when you let them all alone they tend to bark which is their way of communicating that they are upset being alone. Dogs also bark if they feel bored or if they are in frustration, feel sick, in the act of defending their boundary or if they seek attention.
Anti Dog Barking Products
Different Dog Bark Sounds
Let’s get to know more about the barking and it’s variations. There are three different ways in which the barking can be better described and understood.
The Pitch of barking :
When the volume of the barking is low it marks some threat, anger or feeling of aggression. A sound which is like a growl indicates that the dog is passing a message “ Stay away from me”. However, when the volume of the barking raises it is a signal that the dog is safe to get close with.
The pitch of the barking is used as a tool by the dogs to send signals to both animals and people around. It helps in understanding whether they are approachable or not.
So, next time you hear a growl better step two steps behind and stay away from your pet whereas when you hear a whine which is comparatively high volume you can get along your pet and play.
The Duration of barking:
Usually, the lengthier the sound of barking is, it speaks about the actual feeling of the dog its nature of emotions and the pet’s consequent behavior.
Therefore, a frightening growl of a ferocious dog which has a strong attitude of holding to the ground and not stepping down is usually low in volume and also lengthier and long-lasting.
In case the dog growls for a short time and holds on to it briefly it signals a feeling of threat and also indicates that the dog is tensed about facing an attack and is scared of tackling the same.
The Frequency of barking:
When the dog barks continuously in high speed it signals the level of excitement and urgency. When the dog barks in intervals and there is a gap between every barking it indicates a low level of excitement.
However, an occasional barking starring at something quite normal and it’s just about showing the interest in something.
When the pet barks repeatedly and continues to bark numerous times a minute it indicates that it feels there is something important and also it signals us that there is a possibility of a potential crisis.
Most Common Variations in Barking :
- Quick strings of about 2o 4 barking with a gap in between are the most usual way of barking and are known as the classic alarm barking which means as something called “Call the pack. There is something which needs to be given attention to.”
- Barking in a kind of repeated way continuously but in a low volume and in a slow pitch than the normal alarm bark indicates that the dog is into an imminent disturbance. So it gives the signal with its bark that a threat is very close by and the intruder may attack anytime And remember it is a situation where the pet doesn’t seem to be friendly and be ready to defend yourself.
- A minimal once or twice keen sharp short barking of a high or mid-level pitch is the classic welcoming sound and this kind of barking is heard when the dog recognizes the visitor as a friend. Most of the known people are greeted by the pets with this warm barking sound. It is the way if saying Hi. Hello and Hey by the dog pet. It is the welcoming ritual followed by the dogs.
- A long string barking which is a solitary bark with spaces in between that is given deliberately by the dog is a signal of loneliness. When the dog pauses out of compulsion between every bark, it is understood as the dog is expecting a companion and is quite bored being alone.
- A stutter bark which is heard as “Harr-ruff “ is signal given by the dog with front paws on the ground and rear raised high. This signal indicates that the dog is in the mood of playing and us looking for a toy or companion to play with.
Barking Dog Breeds
Cuckoos are born singers and lions are born to rule. In a similar fashion, dogs scream their throat out when they are expected to keep quiet. Take a look at these barking dog breeds;
The dog which is considered as one of the most vocal species is the Beagle. Many people who tamed beagles will definitely agree with this statement. Beagles which are much of the field kind are undoubtedly noisy.
This is a breed which is usually bred by hunters for its feature of being able to bray and howl. Beagles alert the hunters when there is a threat from the wild animals such as fox.
And at present, this little hound is very useful as it helps in alerting you about anything or anyone who approaches your doorstep. Beagles don’t bark much but they are quite noisy. It is absolutely tough to keep them on hold and silent.
- Weight: 20 to 30 lbs
- Height: 13 to 15 inches
- Lifespan: 10 to 15 years
- Colors: Any hound color accepted
- Temperament: Cheerful,
Beagles were created to alert, howl, and inform hunters about animals and foxes being pursued. They are not known too much for excessive barking but they are very noisy barkers.
The Beagles are considered one of the most popular and vocal small dogs in many countries.
Similar to the Beagles which is tamed by hunters, fox terrier is also a strong breed which is good in hunting. Apart from its amazing prey drive it also has the tenacity and stubborn behavior of terriers.
The scrappy fox terrier breed will be continuously on patrol with its perfectly strong hearing and vision ability. They react by barking at the squirrels that pass by, postmen who knock and other animals and walkers who pass the gate. After all, they make sure there isn’t any movement other than theirs.
Are you planning for fox terrier at home be sure to fresh and active all time to hear those high pitch barking.? You must be fit enough mentally to tackle the noise and physically to control its stubbornness.
- Weight: 15 to 19 lbs
- Height: At least 1 foot
- Lifespan: 10 to 15 years
- Colors: White (predominant), tan and black, tan, or black markings
- Temperament: Smart, lively, alert,
Being charming yet distinctly sly, Fox Terriers are known to outwit their owners with their antics. They have an excellent vigilant nature. Fox Terriers are also said to be annoying barkers.
Like every other dog, these dogs also need early exposure to various sights, experiences, and socialization. Without consistent and strong training and leadership skills, you cannot tame this little noisy heaven.
West Highland White Terrier
- Weight: 15 to 20 lbs
- Height: 10 inches (female), 11 inches (male)
- Lifespan: 13 to 15 years
- Colors: Mainly white
- Temperament: Friendly, self-reliant, courageous, gay, and alert
Always smart, confident, and eager to please, the cute Westie has been popular for over three centuries. This strong earth dog remains the most unique of all the small terriers. He will welcome the stranger once he feels comfortable in their presence.
- Weight: 13 lbs (female), 14 lbs (male)
- Height: 9 to 10 inches (female), 10 inches (male)
- Lifespan: 12 to 15 years
- Colors: Wheaten, Tan, Cream, Brindle, Black
- Temperament: Happy, fearless, alert, curious, active
These dogs will regularly keep their owners updated to anything and everyone they deem suspicious. Without strong leadership, Cairn Terrier is quite impossible to control their excessive barking.
- Weight: 11 to 20 lbs (average)
- Height: 12 to 14 inches
- Lifespan: 12 to 15 years
- Colors: Solid black, silver and black, salt and pepper
- Temperament: Alert, spirited, eager to please, intelligent, and obedient
The Miniature Schnauzer, is, in fact, a low-shedding, long-lived, and a healthy family dog. They bark incessantly, more than a shrill. These dogs bark at anyone who dares to cross their eyesight.
Early socialization and training will teach your dog to behave more obediently in the long run.
- Weight: 7 lbs (average)
- Height: 7 to 8 inches
- Lifespan: 11 to 15 years
- Colors: Black and tan, dark steel blue
- Temperament: Alert watchdog, shows terrier heritage
The Yorkshire Terriers are yappy and stubborn dogs, and with good early training, barking can be curbed. Based on your dog’s breeding, whether it’s a small lap dog, or from a sturdier line, your dog’s barking will change accordingly.
Bear in mind, the shrill sound produced by your Yorkshire Terrier can attract larger dogs to attack them.
Other Dogs That Bark The Most
Let’s take a look at some of the other dogs that are known for their barking
Dogs That Your Neighbors Will Love
Tackling the Barking
Problem: The dog is clingy and when left alone it howls and whines.
Solution: Take advice from a community warden or a vet on how to train your pet is being used to staying alone. There are animal behaviorist who can give you tips on training your dog on being let alone.
Problem: The dog seems afraid and frightened. It has a scared face with ears dangling back and lowered tail. It might also have trouble settling down and tries to hide.
Solution: If your pet is interested in being hidden arrange a few for it. If it’s frightened of noises try to cover it up with a radio. If the pet is scared of strangers and other animals in the surrounding put up curtains on windows and doors and give it a peace of mind.
Problem: The pet seems to guard the house by only barking at all passing cars, people and animals.
Solution: Avoid letting your pet in the frontage of the house. Keep them away from the view of passersby. It is better to screen the windows and doors and tame them inside the house or away from the front view.
What Not To Do:
- Never punish your dog if it barks. It can only make the situation worse. When you punish the dog it might misinterpret it as attention seeking technique and continue to howl.
- Refrain from using any kind of electronic devices to control the dog barking. Devices like anti-barking collars might sound helpful but in reality, it only tenses the dog more.
- Never plan for another dog, unless you are sure the dog at home would feel secure in another pet’s company. At times it may feel less cared or possessive and start barking more worsening the situation.
Punishment – NO
Never punish the dog if they bark, this could make the situation worse. The only way to tackle the barking is to find out the reason and trying to solve the problem. When we punish them they tend to get more upset and react more ferociously.
Never Leave Alone
Usually, dogs tend to feel lonely when they are left without anyone around, and this makes them howl and bark. It takes a little while for the dogs to get practised being alone. Get it trained for shorter duration may be in another room when you are at home.
As you can understand it’s reactions before you leave it alone in the house when you are not around. Appreciate your pet when it behaves in a good manner. You can fill the vacuum of silence with a music do that your pet feels someone is around.
If you plan to be back only in the night remember to keep a light on as darkness can tense your pet. Als,o keep a bowl of fresh water for your dog in easy access before you step out.
Barking happens only when the pet has nothing else to do so just engage him by leaving a dog toy to meddle with. Leave him with a toy in comfortable sleeping place with a good toy to play with.
Make sure not to leave the dog alone for long hours as this would panic them and they would bark vigorously continuously.
If unavoidable, make arrangements for someone to check the pet and take for a walk as your pet needs assurance of care after short durations
How to Control Excessive Barking?
Controlling your dog will not only take time, but it also will not definitely take place overnight. Take these tips into consideration as you begin to manage your dog’s barking.
- Never shout or be aggressive your dog. Shouting increases your dog’s barking tendency because he believes you are his competitor. Speak firmly but calmly. Avoid verbal abuse.
- Say “Quiet” in a firm, kind voice. The minute your dog stops barking, feed him with a treat such as chicken or cheese.
- Signal him to follow your body language. such as placing your finger on your lips. With time, he should pick up these cues and stop barking.
- Tire your dog if he barks just like that. In short, a tired dog will eventually turn into a quiet dog.
- With regard to barking, nip the problem in the bud itself. Barking gives the dog a sensational adrenaline rush.
- Certain health issues such as ongoing pain, brain disease, and bee stings can produce excessive barking. Get a vet to examine your dog so that you can be sure about his medical condition.
Dog Barking Nuisance Law
If your neighbour’s dog barking problem stands unsolved even after repeated efforts, then it’s high time you are aware of the local laws.
With this information, you will be in a better position to go to a small claims court, the police, or animal control activists.
- Massachusetts – For instance, Massachusetts permits neighbours to lodge a formal complaint with the town’s selectmen. The selectmen have the power to summon the dog owner and ask him to take necessary action.
- Oregon – In this state, a state law declares that any breed of dog that irritated someone with “prolonged or frequent noises” is a confirmed public nuisance.
- Pennsylvania – Some states like Pennsylvania have the power to find the dog owner and put them in jail.
- Tennessee – Steep fines are imposed in this state if a neighbour goes to court over excessive dog barking.
Before shifting to a new location, check the local government law for “nuisance,” “animals,” “dogs,” and “noise.” Another option, you contact your local animal activist or city attorney to learn more about these laws in detail.
Whether you are a nomad or live in a community, learning about a happy puppy becomes an all-time reality. Dogs are born to bark and no one should think of a quiet dog as normal except medically proven cases.
Barking is a very usual tendency of dogs however when they continuously bark or at times while it may be annoying and disturbing to the neighbors. That’s like expecting a baby to never cry.
Usually, such situations arise when the dog is left alone in the house without anyone around. In such cases, the owner of the pet gets to know about the barking only when the neighbors complain. Don’t Worry!!!! The unnecessary barking of the dogs can be controlled by simple understanding of the reasons behind their barking and solving the same.