Cane Corsos are the main descendant of the Molossus dog breed. These dogs were used to fight against lions along with gladiators. As by some historical informational sources, Cane Corso dog breed existed 1000 years ago in Tibet. However, a vast section of masses worldwide, believe that Italy is its place of origin. Cane Corso puppies were bred for protecting properties and is a hunter dog for tracing animals like the wild boar.
Globally, famous kennel clubs including those in the USA recognize Cane Corso puppies as Cane Corso or Cane Corso Italiano.
Cane Corsos are serious, sensitive, protective, loyal, intense, and unique dogs- a personality that needs due consideration before bringing it home.
Take this quiz and find out whether Cane Corso is the right dog for you.
1. Identify The Popular Colours Of A Cane Corso Puppy.
Cane Corsos are known for their double coated texture, a sturdy outer coat, and a short gentle undercoat. These dogs are seen in- • Brindle mixed with colours permitted • Solid stag red • Black • Solid grey
Cane Corso Video And Infographics
Cane Corso Video
Cane Corso Infographics
Cane Corso Facts
Cane Corso Puppy Colors
This dog breed is double coated with a mix of a short soft undercoat and a harsh outer coat. It is mostly seen in black and fawn colored skin coats. However, Cane Corso puppies also appear in colors like:
- Solid grey of any shade
- Solid stag red
- Fan of any shade
- Brindle mixed with other acceptable colors (recognized by the certifying kennel clubs as a Cane Corso breed)
The Cane Corso dog, like the Italian Mastiff, is a large dog with a strong muscular build. Generally, it has erect ears, which are cropped within a short period of time after its birth.
The Cane Corso puppies have a heavy head and almond-shaped eyes that are darker. The traditional dogs in this breed used to only have docked tails but the latest set of dogs have full tails.
Cane Corso Size
Normally, the weight of a male Cane Corso puppy is between 45-50 kg while the female puppy’s body weight is 40-45 kg. The height of a male Cane Corso puppy is 62-70 cm whilst the female dog is 58-66 cm.
Cane Corso Life Span
Cane Corso dogs live up to a maximum age range of 10 to 13 years. On the other hand, it must be noted that this applies to dogs that are healthy and grown in good surroundings.
Cane Corso Temperament
Cane Corso Health Problems
In fact, Cane Corso puppies usually suffer from diseases like Hip dysplasia, entropion demodectic mange and Gastric Torsion (Bloat).
1. Hip Dysplasia
- Low level of activity than during the normal stage of health
- Limited movement of the body
- Loose joints
- The hind limit becomes disabled
- Not involve in usual activities like rising, jumping, running and climbing staircase due to unease
- The grating sound in the joints while moving
- Heavy loss of weight in the thigh muscle
- Stiffness in the body
- Standing uncomfortably with the narrowed positioning of legs
- Bulginess in the shoulder muscles due to excess stress placed on moving the hind limb or leg
- Genetic reasons
- Poor nutrition
- Excessive exercise or non-exercise
Ultimately, the veterinarian will fix the treatment based on the condition of hip dysplasia in your dog.
- Non-surgical approach
The vet could suggest the following non-surgical methods for treating hip dysplasia for your Cane Corso dog-like:
- Decrease the body weight so that the hips do not bear the additional stress
- Undertake physical therapy
- Avoid exercises for the dog on hard surfaces
- Take Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Aspirin and Corticosteroids for reducing inflammation levels
- Fluid modifiers for the joints
- Surgical approach
After thoroughly examining the condition and age of the dog, the veterinarian could recommend either of the following surgeries felt as appropriate:
- DPO (Double Pelvic Osteotomy) /TPO (Triple Pelvic Osteotomy)
Either of these two surgeries is normally performed on younger dogs, 10 months old or below. The purpose of this surgery is to make the ball and socket joint work smoothly wherein this is done by cutting the pelvic bone in a selective manner and rotating the segments.
- FHO (femoral head operation)
The femoral head operation is a surgery that is usually done by a veterinarian on both young and matured dogs. This surgery works towards cutting the femoral head of the hip joint.
A kind of false joint is generated by the body wherein this eliminates the pain caused due to hip dysplasia. Overall, this surgery cannot make the hip return to its normal style of functioning but largely remove the pain caused because of hip dysplasia.
- THR Total Hip Replacement
Doctors commonly recommend a total hip replacement for hip dysplasia in dogs. The surgeon involves in implanting a new joint in plastic or metal form after replacing the damaged joint.
In general, this will result in the hips to function in the normal manner and removes the problems suffered due to hip dysplasia.
- Reddish Eyes
- Inflammation of the inner eye
- Sensitivity to Light
- The affected dog keeps its eyes closed
- The dog also paws at its eyes
- An excessive amount of tears running from the eyes
- Mucus discharge from the eyes
- Groans due to pain
- Corneal abrasion
- Corneal ulcer
- Genetically inherited
- Infection in the eye/s
- Pain in the eye/s
- Skin laxity caused due to ageing
Surgical treatment is the only method adopted for curing this disease. Generally, ophthalmologist veterinary surgeons do eyelid surgery by removing the piece of tissue that lies directly beneath the lower eyelid.
The two sides of the pulled off tissue will be stitched. Puppies that undergo this surgery will be first given anaesthesia and then the surgery will be carried out.
The age of a dog is also considered before applying the surgical method. It means the maturity level of the dog to bear (mostly, a minimum of7 months to 12 months of age is thought as eligible).
In addition, the surgeons will prescribe medicines for the operated dog which can be anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and pain relief in nature.
3. Demodectic mange
Mange also knew as demodectic mange is a skin disease faced by dogs, which get affected by Demodex, a class of mites.
The symptoms of demodectic mange differ based on the stage of the disease. In mild to moderate stage of the disease, fewer skin lesions and loss of hair in patches are notable.
However, if the disease is severe, the symptoms will be:
- Alopecia (Complete Hair Loss)
- Reddening of the skin
- Skin Lesions
- Scaly and rough skin
- The dog will frequently rub its head or face
- Swelling in the paws
- Genetic problems
- Immature or poor immune system
Demodectic mange in dogs is treated by veterinarians through prescribing medications after confirming the stage of the disease.
Medications could include a variety of creams such as antibiotic, antisemites, anti-inflammatory and corticosteroids. If the stage of this disease is severe, benzoyl peroxide will be recommended for usage.
Veterinarians usually trim down the hairs that surround the infected areas of the body. Furthermore, vets can even recommend anti-parasitic medications in certain cases of Demodex.
4. Gastric Torsion (Bloat)
- The dog will feel uneasiness in its body and show restlessness
- The dog always appears in an anxious state of mind
- Looks at its stomach time and again
- The dog will often drool
- The dog feels that vomiting sensation but is unable to vomit
- Bloated stomach
- Abdominal pain
- Breathing difficulty
A dog bloats due to the following reasons:
- Eating one large meal every day
- Eats food at a very quick pace
- Consumes food from a food bowl that is kept at a higher position
- Continual running and playing, immediately after taking food
- Heavy eating or drinking
The veterinary doctor will decide on the course of action for treatment of a dog based on the stage of its disease. He could recommend for surgery if the situation is worse
Usually, a tube will be placed inside the mouth where it goes through the throat and up to the stomach area. The purpose of doing it is to release the additional pressure that is accumulated in the dog’s stomach.
If there is difficulty in passing the tube to reach the stomach area, he might place a big hollow needle that will pierce through the dog’s belly and enter its stomach. This is another way of removing the excessive pressure level in the stomach.
However, at times if the dog is in shock the vet could give intravenous fluids, steroids or antibiotics.
If in case, the dog has a twisted stomach, the veterinarian will advise for emergency surgery to bring its stomach to a normal position.
Cane Corso Food
Cane Corsos are sturdy dogs but their dietary needs must be properly undertaken to assure that they remain healthy.
The generally recommended nutritional ingredients in a dog’s food will very much apply to Cane Corso puppies.
The only area of caution for trainers/owners of this dog breed is to never give high-calorie foods to their dog, which is prone to overweight or obesity.
Therefore, the food given to a Cane Corso puppy must be in line with its age and growth.
Foods That Cane Corso Puppies Can Eat
- Fruits like bananas, oranges and apples
- Boiled vegetables like carrot, potatoes, pumpkin, cabbage
- Chicken (Cooked)
Foods Cane Corso Puppies Can Not Eat
Cane Corso Price
Various factors determine the price of a dog like a dog’s age, health, the status of the breeder, location, vaccination, etc.
The price of Cane Corso puppies in the USA differs based on the source from where it is purchased. You can get this puppy for even $500 through a newspaper advertisement source, maybe an individual owner.
Not to mention, the prices could be the range of $1,500 to $4,000 if bought from a good dog breeder. Some breeders might even charge lower prices. Meanwhile, premium quality puppies bred by seasoned and reputed breeders will go easily beyond the stated price range.
For example, in the UK market, Cane Corso puppies are gettable at a price that starts from £250 and scales up to £2500.
Cane Corso Names
|Male Dog||Female Dog|
Interesting Facts About Cane Corso Puppies
According to some information sources, the Cane Corso became almost extinct after World War II. However, in the last few years, it has once again resurrected itself and gained the recognition of masses.
- Cane Corso puppies make peculiar sounds like snorting and woo-woo for communicating with the members of its family (owner).
- On an average, the Cane Corso can give birth to 6 puppies.
- This dog is so fond of snacks wherein it even sometimes drools while seeing a good snack.
- The Corso breed dog is rated as one of the top ten guard dogs in the world.
- Celebrities who own Cane Corso puppies include:
Lebron James – Professional NBA (National Basketball Player) in the USA
Vin Diesel – American Actor, Director, Producer and Screenwriter
Dwayne Douglas Johnson – American and Canadian Actor, Producer and Professional Wrestler
Cane Corso Breeders
Cane Corso Dog Breeders In The USA
- Mad River Cane Corso
Address: 6997 E US HWY 36
Cable, OH 43009
Tel.: (937) 508-1118, (937) 244-1200
- Black Pearl Cane Corso
Address: 3745 Beeman Rd,
Williamston, MI 48895
Tel.: +1 267-632-7650
- Mar E Sol Cane Corso
Address: 34149 Spirit Hills Way,
Dade City, FL 33523
Cane Corso Dog Breeders In UK
Barbarian Corso Kennel
Tel.: +44 (0)7909227170