Originally from northeastern Siberia, these pack dogs were initially bred by the Chukchi Eskimos, a tribal group of northeastern Asia, as sled dogs and working dogs.
But later, after arriving in Alaska, America in 1908 the Siberian Huskies gained prominence and recognition as they can travel long distances at a gentle pace. Now, they are viewed as show dogs and loved as pets.
Before you proceed with the article, check your knowledge on your favorite pet.
1. How far a Husky’s howl can be heard?
Siberian Husky Infographic And Video
Siberian Husky Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: Russia (Siberia)
- Size: Medium-Large
- Dog Breed Group: Working Group
- Purebred: Yes
- Lifespan: 12-14 Years
- Height: Male- 21-23.5 Inches, Female- 20-22 Inches
- Weight: Male- 45-60 Lbs, Female-35-50 Lbs
- Coat Appearance: Soft, Thick, Double
- Coat Colors: Brown, Red, White, Black
- Temperament: Mischevious, Trustworthy, Loyal, Smart
- Good With Children: Yes, Better Under Supervision
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Grooming: Moderate-High
- Shedding: High
- Barking: Low (Occasional)
- Suitable For Apartments: Low
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: No, Hire A Professional Trainer If Possible
- Good For First Time Owners: Low, An Experienced Dog Owner Can Handle This Dog With Ease
- Health Issues: Eye Problems, Hip Dysplasia
- Litter Size: 4-8 Puppies
- Average Price: $ 600-$ 1300 Usd
Siberian Husky Facts
These dogs were used during World War II by the United States Army’s Arctic Search and Rescue Unit of the Air Transport Command. These breed dogs were utilized for World War II as working war dog soldiers.
During this period, they were made to go in the snow to rescue the trapped hikers. They were used as sled dogs and also used to carry water and K-rations along with it and it replaced the St. Bernard’s dog breed, which used to carry barrels of whiskey.
- Honest Dog
- It is very intelligent by nature but also highly playful
- Treats every person in a similar manner
- The mesmerizing blue eyes with the grey and white coat draw for a center of fascination
- Highly athletic
- Likes to socialize
- They consume only a mediocre amount of food
- Friendly with other dogs (same breed or other breeds)
- Easily adaptable and trainable
- They are not good guard dogs for your house since it looks every person, even a stranger in the same manner.
- Could even turn friendly with unknown people.
- It is highly independent and difficult to keep it under control.
- The owner/trainer of this breed dog does not believe the dog easily since it does not really abide by their command and are escape artists.
- It is difficult to give exercise and training for this dog because it is lively and aggressive.
- Although it sheds its hairs only twice a year, the main shedding season is spring. The quantum of shedding is very huge and this thickly coated dog can startle the owner at times.
- They are highly sensitive to certain drugs, like anaesthetics and tranquillizers. It is necessary to have an experienced vet to handle this dog.
- These dogs have a tendency to kill small animals like squirrels, birds, rabbits and other house pets.
Siberian Husky Appearance
Siberian Husky Colors:
A medium-sized dog with a strong build, this breed appears in a thicker double coat than many other dogs.
Siberian Husky Eyes:
They have brown, amber and blue eyes or could even be bi-eyed, split-eyed and part-eyed. It normally sports a curly tail on its back.
Siberian Husky Mix Breeds
This majestic and cute dog can be mixed with other dog breeds like Pitbull, Corgi, Chow chow, Labrador, Pug, Dashchund etc. The cute and famous husky mix dog breeds are the cute corgi husky mix and elegant husky lab mix.
Siberian Husky Lifespan And Size
Siberian Husky Lifespan
These dogs on an average normally lead a life that can end from 12 years up to a maximum of 15 years.
Usually, female husky dogs have a slightly longer lifespan than their male counterparts. There is a possibility that a vice versa situation (male dog lives a bit longer than the female dog) might even happen.
Proper diet and exercises will be vital factors in shaping the sound health of this breed dog, which can live up to the stated age range.
Siberian Husky Size
The average height and weight of male and female dogs:
|Male||53-61 cm||20-27 kg|
|Female||46-51 cm||16-23 kg|
Siberian Husky Temperament
Names For Your Siberian Husky Puppy
This dog breed was initially bred by Chukchi people of Siberia and arrived in Alaska during the Nome Gold Rush.
They were used during World War II for search and rescue operations.
These dogs were initially bred for the purpose of pulling loads and to run in the Siberian weather conditions.
It does not show a suspicious look at strangers like many other dogs do and hence they cannot be good guard dogs.
They are also called as escape artists as they love to be independent and can easily escape from any place.
This dog breed can live in both cold and warm climates.
They are very active and run after small animals and house pets.
According to American Kennel Club, Siberian Husky was the #13 popular dog breed in the USA during 2014.
You can hear the sound of a Siberian Husky dog even if you are 10 miles away.
It can run up to a distance of 50 mph.
Some celebrities who own a Siberian Husky
- Taylor Lautner – American film Actor and Model
- Rita Ora – British Singer and Actress
- Miley Cyrus – American Singer, Actress and Song Writer
Foods For Your Siberian Husky
Maintaining a proper diet and feeding schedule holds the utmost importance in the growth of this breed.
This dog breed usually consumes nutritious and healthy raw foods.
Proteins, carbohydrates, and fats are very important ingredients to be present in the food but how they are suitable for each dog varies based on a dog’s age.
Foods That Can Be Given
- Green Beans
- Fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, cherries, and cranberries
Foods That The Puppy Can Not Eat
Siberian Husky Health Problems
This breed dogs mainly suffer from diseases like hip dysplasia, cataracts, corneal dystrophy and dermatitis
1. Hip Dysplasia
- Lowered activity and difficulty in free movement
- Avoidance of activities like running, jumping and climbing staircase
- Loosening of joints
- Disabled in the hind portion
- Swaying gait
- Feeling inconvenience in the joint while moving
- Loss of weight in the thigh muscle
- Enlargement of the shoulder muscles
- Hereditary or Genetic Reasons
- Poor Nutrition
- Making the dog to do either vigorous exercise or abysmally low exercise
Based on the stage of hip dysplasia disease, the veterinarian doctor will recommend treatment. It could be non-surgical methods like therapy or medication and only if required, a surgery might be recommended for the dog.
The non-surgical methods that a veterinarian usually recommend for treatment include:
- Weight loss recommendation to lower the stress on the hips
- Limited exercise and that too on soft surfaces
- Joint fluid modifiers
- Anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin, corticosteroids and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
In case of the surgical requirement for the dog:
- Femoral Head Ostectomy
- Double or triple pelvic osteotomy
- Total hip replacement
- White cloudy appearance in the eyes
- Abnormal eye color
- Unusual color of light reflection on the eye
- Loss of Vision – Notable from the dog’s bumping on to various things in the house like door frames, furniture etc. The other associated conditions due to vision loss include:
- High uneasiness
- Experiencing difficulty in locating its bowl and toys
- Lazy unsteady walk
- Barking at lifeless objects
- Congenital (birth) factor
- Eye Injury
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Exposure to Toxins
- Exposure to Radiation
Normally, surgery is only advised by the veterinarians for the treatment of cataract disease. Cataract disease is a gradual process of blocking the normal vision of an individual. The veterinary surgeon will mostly advise quick surgery for a healthy dog.
Dogs that are diabetic, old aged and chronically will be closely monitored by the vet and based on his complete examination, surgery requirement will be advocated.
The steps involved in a cataract surgery:
- Removal of the lens
- Capsule removal
- Phacoemulsification – The surgery that is done by using ultrasonic waves to emulsify the eye lens.
Post surgery, the veterinarian surgeon will prescribe medication like oral antibiotics and pain relievers for a couple or more weeks for the dog
3. Corneal Dystrophy
- White colored or greyish colored cloudiness in the centre of the eyes
- Irritated eyes causing rubbing sensation
Inherited (Maybe through sex or even other unidentified reasons)
The vet may recommend either topical acid treatment or surgery based on the stage of the corneal dystrophy disease that the dog suffers from.
- Non-surgical treatment – Topical acid treatment is recommended at least 2 times in a week for the purpose of dissolving the mineral deposits in the eyes. These mineral deposits could cause eye ulcers.
- Surgical treatment – Dogs in the severe stage of corneal dystrophy will most probably be operated for removal of mineral deposits from its eyes.
However, it is a highly complicated operation that requires very extensive examination and thought to decide about because the result may even be total blindness.
- Reddish skin
- Patches or spots
- Injury marks due to licking and scratching
- Discharge of a semi-liquid substance from the affected area
- Alopecia and hair loss
- Scaly or thick skin
- Running nose
- Bacterial Infection
Usually, all dogs including this breed suffer from dermatitis due to contact with some allergens and irritants.
There might be some other causes which are not clear but the allergens that these dogs are exposed, includes:
- Gardening chemicals (fertilizers and pesticides)
- Creams and Lotions
- Soaps and shampoo
- Insect Bites
- Food allergies
- Bacterial infections
- Parasitic infections
- Fabrics and carpets
- Plastic and metal
Usually, vets treat dermatitis condition in dogs through advising the dog owners to give antihistamines and anti-inflammatory drugs. For allergic conditions in dogs, they recommend medications like Benadryl or equivalents drugs.
Likewise, to decrease the level of inflammation in dogs, Prednisone is mostly prescribed. You will be advised by the vet to keep the dog at bay from allergic substances. If the dog gets a secondary infection, antibiotics could be recommended.
Dog owners need to have a thorough discussion with the veterinarian about other possible home-based remedies to be used for treating the dogs. Mostly, vets advise the dog owners to wash their dog regularly with best dog shampoos that have medicinal value.
Siberian Husky Price And Breeders
Siberian Husky Price
In the UK market, these puppies are available from a price range of £250 up to £1000. This price can vary based on the health of the breed, its age, nature of the breeder etc.
However, it is possible to get a premium quality puppy at even more higher prices i.e. more than £1000
In the USA, these puppies are available in a price range of $500 to $1000. The price fixation of a dog is based on its age, its health, state from which it is bought and the quality of breeder.
Siberian Husky Breeders
- Phi Chas
Corvallis, OR, 97330
Tel.: 1 541-929-2722
- Bama Huskies
Address: 292 Co Hwy 6
Blountsville, AL 35031
- Loyal Siberian Husky
Address: Jose Luis Rosales
2945 Harllees Bridge Road
Hamer, SC 29547