It’s a no-brainer to understand that dogs treat humans much better than we treat our furry friends. Well, for those who don’t believe this, just slide your glance towards a Siberian Husky Puppy.
Originally from northeastern Siberia, these pack dogs were initially bred by the Chukchi Eskimos, a tribal group of northeastern Asia, as sled dogs and working dogs.
But later, after arriving in Alaska, America in 1908 the Siberian Huskies gained prominence and recognition as they can travel long distances at a gentle pace. Now, they are viewed as show dogs and loved as pets.
Before you proceed with the article, check your knowledge on your favorite pet.
1. How far a Husky’s howl can be heard?
Siberian Husky Infographics And Video
Siberian Husky Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: Russia (Siberia)
- Size: Medium-Large
- Dog Breed Group: Working Group
- Purebred: Yes
- Lifespan: 12-14 Years
- Height: Male- 21-23.5 Inches, Female- 20-22 Inches
- Weight: Male- 45-60 Lbs, Female-35-50 Lbs
- Coat Appearance: Soft, Thick, Double
- Coat Colors: Brown, Red, White, Black
- Temperament: Mischevious, Trustworthy, Loyal, Smart
- Good With Children: Yes, Better Under Supervision
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Grooming: Moderate-High
- Shedding: High
- Barking: Low (Occasional)
- Suitable For Apartments: Low
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: No, Hire A Professional Trainer If Possible
- Good For First Time Owners: Low, An Experienced Dog Owner Can Handle This Dog With Ease
- Health Issues: Eye Problems, Hip Dysplasia
- Litter Size: 4-8 Puppies
- Average Price: $ 600-$ 1300 Usd
Siberian Husky Facts
These dogs were used during World War II by the United States Army’s Arctic Search and Rescue Unit of the Air Transport Command. These breed dogs were utilized for World War II as working war dog soldiers.
During this period, they were made to go in the snow to rescue the trapped hikers. They were used as sled dogs and also used to carry water and K-rations along with it and it replaced the St. Bernard’s dog breed, which used to carry barrels of whisky.
- Honest Dog
- It is very intelligent by nature but also highly playful
- Treats every person in a similar manner
- The mesmerizing blue eyes with the grey and white coat draw for a center of fascination
- Highly athletic
- Likes to socialize
- They consume only a mediocre amount of food
- Friendly with other dogs (same breed or other breeds)
- Easily adaptable and trainable
- They are not good guard dogs for your house since it looks every person, even a stranger in the same manner.
- Could even turn friendly with unknown people.
- It is highly independent and difficult to keep it under control.
- The owner/trainer of this breed dog does not believe the dog easily since it does not really abide by their command and are escape artists.
- It is difficult to give exercise and training for this dog because it is lively and aggressive.
- Although it sheds its hairs only twice a year, the main shedding season is spring. The quantum of shedding is very huge and this thickly coated dog can startle the owner at times.
- They are highly sensitive to certain drugs, like anaesthetics and tranquillizers. It is necessary to have an experienced vet to handle this dog.
- These dogs have a tendency to kill small animals like squirrels, birds, rabbits and other house pets.
Siberian Husky Appearance
Siberian Husky Colors:
A medium-sized dog with a strong build, this breed appears in a thicker double coat than many other dogs.
It has colored coatings in grey, black and white, pure white, silver, red, copper and agouti. This thickly coated dog has a long topcoat of short and straight hairs and a thick undercoat.
Siberian Husky Eyes:
They have brown, amber and blue eyes or could even be bi-eyed, split-eyed and part-eyed. It normally sports a curly tail on its back.
Siberian Husky Mix Breeds
This majestic and cute dog can be mixed with other dog breeds like Pitbull, Corgi, Chow chow, Labrador, Pug, Dashchund etc. The cute and famous husky mix dog breeds are corgi husky mix and husky lab mix.
Siberian Husky Size And Lifespan
Siberian Husky Size
The average height and weight of male and female dogs:
|Male||53-61 cm||20-27 kg|
|Female||46-51 cm||16-23 kg|
Siberian Husky Lifespan
These dogs on an average normally lead a life that can end from 12 years up to a maximum of 15 years.
Usually, female husky dogs have a slightly longer lifespan than their male counterparts. There is a possibility that a vice versa situation (male dog lives a bit longer than the female dog) might even happen.
Proper diet and exercises will also be vital factors in shaping the sound health of this breed dog, which can live up to the stated age range.
Siberian Husky Temperament
Foods For Your Siberian Husky
Maintaining a proper diet and feeding schedule holds utmost importance in the growth of a this breed. This dog breed usually consume nutritious and healthy raw foods.
Proteins, carbohydrates and fats are very important ingredients to be present in the food but how they are suitable for each dog varies based on a dog’s age.
Foods That Can Be Given:
- Green Beans
- Fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, cherries and cranberries
Foods That The Puppy Can Not Eat:
Names For Your Siberian Husky Puppy
- This dog breed was initially bred by Chukchi people of Siberia and arrived in Alaska during the Nome Gold Rush.
- They were used during World War II for search and rescue operations.
- These dogs were initially bred for the purpose of pulling loads and to run in the Siberian weather conditions.
- It does not show a suspicious look at strangers like many other dogs do and hence they cannot be good guard dogs.
- They are also called as escape artists as they love to be independent and can easily escape from any place.
- This dog breed can live in both cold and warm climates.
- They do not bark but howl heavily.
- They are very active and run after small animals and house pets.
- According to American Kennel Club, Siberian Husky was the #13 popular dog breed in the USA during 2014.
- You can hear the sound of a Siberian Husky dog even if you are 10 miles away.
- It can run up to a distance of 50 mph.
- Some celebrities who own a Siberian Husky:
Taylor Lautner – American film Actor and Model
Rita Ora – British Singer and Actress
Miley Cyrus – American Singer, Actress and Song Writer
Siberian Husky Health Problems
This breed dogs mainly suffer from diseases like hip dysplasia, cataracts, corneal dystrophy and dermatitis
1. Hip Dysplasia
- Lowered activity
- Difficulty in free movement
- Avoidance of activities like running, jumping and climbing staircase
- Loosening of joints
- Disabled in the hind portion
- Swaying gait
- Feeling inconvenience in the joint while moving
- Loss of weight in the thigh muscle
- Enlargement of the shoulder muscles
- Hereditary or Genetic Reasons
- Poor Nutrition
- Making the dog to do either vigorous exercise or abysmally low exercise
Based on the stage of hip dysplasia disease, the veterinarian doctor will recommend treatment. It could be non-surgical methods like therapy or medication and only if required, a surgery might be recommended for the dog.
The non-surgical methods that a veterinarian usually recommend for treatment include:
- Weight loss recommendation to lower the stress on the hips
- Limited exercise and that too on soft surfaces
- Joint fluid modifiers
- Anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin, corticosteroids and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
In case of the surgical requirement for the dog:
- Femoral Head Ostectomy
- Double or triple pelvic osteotomy
- Total hip replacement
- White cloudy appearance in the eyes
- Abnormal eye color
- Unusual color of light reflection on the eye
- Loss of Vision – Notable from the dog’s bumping on to various things in the house like door frames, furniture etc. The other associated conditions due to vision loss include:
- High uneasiness
- Experiencing difficulty in locating its bowl and toys
- Lazy unsteady walk
- Barking at lifeless objects
- Congenital (birth) factor
- Eye Injury
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Exposure to Toxins
- Exposure to Radiation
Normally, surgery is only advised by the veterinarians for the treatment of cataract disease. Cataract disease is a gradual process of blocking the normal vision of an individual. The veterinary surgeon will mostly advise quick surgery for a healthy dog.
Dogs that are diabetic, old aged and chronically will be closely monitored by the vet and based on his complete examination, surgery requirement will be advocated.
The steps involved in a cataract surgery:
- Removal of the lens
- Capsule removal
- Phacoemulsification – The surgery that is done by using ultrasonic waves to emulsify the eye lens.
Post surgery, the veterinarian surgeon will prescribe medication like oral antibiotics and pain relievers for a couple or more weeks for the dog
3. Corneal Dystrophy
- White colored or greyish colored cloudiness in the centre of the eyes
- Irritated eyes causing rubbing sensation
Inherited (Maybe through sex or even other unidentified reasons)
The vet may recommend either topical acid treatment or surgery based on the stage of the corneal dystrophy disease that the dog suffers from.
- Non-surgical treatment – Topical acid treatment is recommended at least 2 times in a week for the purpose of dissolving the mineral deposits in the eyes. These mineral deposits could cause eye ulcers.
- Surgical treatment – Dogs in the severe stage of corneal dystrophy will most probably be operated for removal of mineral deposits from its eyes.
However, it is a highly complicated operation that requires very extensive examination and thought to decide about because the result may even be total blindness.
- Reddish skin
- Patches or spots
- Injury marks due to licking and scratching
- Discharge of a semi-liquid substance from the affected area
- Scaly or thick skin
- Running nose
- Bacterial Infection
Usually, all dogs including this breed suffer from dermatitis due to contact with some allergens and irritants.
There might be some other causes which are not clear but the allergens that these dogs are exposed, includes:
- Gardening chemicals (fertilizers and pesticides)
- Creams and Lotions
- Soaps and shampoo
- Insect Bites
- Food allergies
- Bacterial infections
- Parasitic infections
- Fabrics and carpets
- Plastic and metal
Usually, vets treat dermatitis condition in dogs through advising the dog owners to give antihistamines and anti-inflammatory drugs. For allergic conditions in dogs, they recommend medications like Benadryl or equivalents drugs.
Likewise, to decrease the level of inflammation in dogs, Prednisone is mostly prescribed. You will be advised by the vet to keep the dog at bay from allergic substances. If the dog gets a secondary infection, antibiotics could be recommended.
Dog owners need to have a thorough discussion with the veterinarian about other possible home-based remedies to be used for treating the dogs. Mostly, vets advise the dog owners to wash their dog regularly with best dog shampoos that have medicinal value.
Siberian Husky Price And Breeders
Siberian Husky Price
In the UK market, these puppies are available from a price range of £250 up to £1000. This price can vary based on the health of the breed, its age, nature of the breeder etc.
However, it is possible to get a premium quality puppy at even more higher prices i.e. more than £1000
In the USA, these puppies are available in a price range of $500 to $1000. The price fixation of a dog is based on its age, its health, state from which it is bought and the quality of breeder.
Siberian Husky Breeders
- Phi Chas
Corvallis, OR, 97330
Tel.: 1 541-929-2722
- Bama Huskies
Address: 292 Co Hwy 6
Blountsville, AL 35031
- Loyal Siberian Husky
Address: Jose Luis Rosales
2945 Harllees Bridge Road
Hamer, SC 29547
What Is A Reason Not To Own A Siberian Husky?
It is not a good dog to own as a pet for the following reasons:
- They should be given reasonable exercising time on a daily basis (includes running and walking)
- If it feels boredom, it will show aggression and even damage the personal properties of its owner.
- The Husky is highly independent and energetic with that willingness to escape from a place. So it always needs due attention and be kept in a high fenced area that is attached to the ground.
- It is not obedient to its owner and it requires very tough training to be controlled.
- Mostly, they show friendliness to all, including strangers. This is bad for an owner.
- It is fearless and extremely lively which makes its owner feel worried about.
- Although they shed hairs twice in a year during spring and fall, the quantum of shedding is too high. It is very difficult to clean the place. A dog owner is required to daily bathe it and soft brush its hair.
- People with different lifestyle and extremely busy should not own this breed.
Can I Keep A Siberian Husky In Kashmir?
They will be able to handle the weather extremes (high summer of up to 30®C and lowest temperatures of 1-2⁰C) in Kashmir. But however, certain things must be borne in mind by an owner before purchasing this breed like:
- Should not be a first-time dog owner because it is highly energetic and mischievous. It will be a miserable time for the owner once he/she starts owning it
- Confirm that if due time can be allotted for taking care of the dog or make the necessary arrangements in a proper manner
- Do not buy the husky if there is not sufficient space in the house because it needs a lot of space and wishes to move around
- Likewise, additional comfort like installation of an air conditioner is also important because it is intolerant of heat.
If an owner is able to satisfy these four conditions, then he/she can again review their thoughts for arriving at a final decision on whether to own this breed or not.
What Should I Know Before Getting A Siberian Husky?
Some important steps for people to know prior to buying this breed dog:
- Analyze whether your house will be comfortable for growing this dog. Firsthand knowledge about the characteristics of this dog is definitely required
- Have additional knowledge about this dog breed’s hair shedding during the shedding season – The owner must not just have the knowledge that this dog breed sheds twice a year during spring and fall heavily. It must be understood that its hair can be seen on various objects, wherever it tampers with and it can happen on a daily basis. This is one of the biggest fuss for an owner to bear due to the frequency of cleaning the house
- This dog involves in screaming for whatever it requires – Although it talks a bit, the husky screams fiercely for whatever thing that it wants
- Tampers your belongings and treats as its own – Whatever property its owner uses, once this dog tampers it, the object will be used by it as its toy
- Will stay as a good dog only until the time of your presence
- Allocation of time for giving exercise to the dog – The dog must be given daily exercise since it is quite vibrant and enthusiastic. It is necessary to take the dog at least for walking or jogging. This is applicable in case if you don’t have a big yard for the dog to run.
- Take preventive steps to avoid its escape – A big fenced yard that is attached to the ground is very important because these dogs can jump quite high.
- Plan properly on how to handle the dog during different climatic conditions – they are quite comfortable during the winter season. However, during the summer, it is necessary to keep them away from heat. They must be given an air-conditioned room and also taken for exercise, either early in the morning or late in the evening
- The dog needs proper leadership – If it does not have a leader, then it will start doing things on its own and cause big problems
- You could need to spend more on its food budget – Although the quantity of food consumed by this breed could be mediocre, the nature of food is what matters. Dogs are noted to eat only high protein and grain-free food which are quite costly.
How Do Siberian Husky And Husky Differ?
|Siberian Husky||Husky Dogs|
|Used either as a pet dog or as a working or show dog||Used only as working dog|
|Pure bred dog registered with the AKC|
Siberian Husky has a good build
They have blue or brown eyes
Siberian Husky dogs participate in the short distance category
|Not registered with the AKC (American Kennel Club) as the latter suspects this dog to be a cross bred one and unfit
Normal Husky dog appears leaner
Mostly, the Huskies have brown eyes
In sled pulling races, they are used in the long distance category
Are Huskies Good For The Belgian Climate?
In terms of climatic conditions, Belgium will be a suitable place for huskies to live since there is only a warm and dry summer but very cool and clear winters. Huskies like to live in cool climatic conditions and prefer only mild summer despite its non-tolerance to heat.
However, husky breeders in Belgium state that, people who wish to own a Husky dog must have complete knowledge about it and ponder about its purchase.
For How Long Could A Siberian Husky Live?
The normal lifespan of a healthy dog is between 12 to 15 years. It is even noted that some dogs of this breed live for even a couple of more years.
Are Husky’s Loyal Dogs?
Yes, of course, the Husky breed dogs are quite affectionate and loyal. But, people who wish to own the Husky dog must first make themselves fully aware of its characteristics. This is vital for a new owner so as to make an effective decision regarding whether it is suitable or not.
How To Take Care Of A Siberian Husky?
a. Ensuring proper and overall healthcare
• Maintain a good feeding routine for the dog, which is three times a day and over a period of time, reduce it to two times a day.
• Involve in daily brushing of your dog’s fur and it is vital since it has a thick coat.
• Trim the long hairs of the dog on its feet and also its nails.
• Take the puppy for eye check-ups on a periodic basis and better to do it from its younger age itself since it is highly prone to eye diseases like cataract, corneal dystrophy, and progressive retinal atrophy. These diseases are hereditary by nature and so its parents must be looked to get an idea regarding the probability of impact it can have on the puppy.
b. Creating the best environment
• Ensure that you have a highly protective yard at your home – Since this dog is a highly dynamic dog it can escape easily. So, the necessary fencing or other protective methods must be adopted to control it
• Give much exercise to your dog since it is energetic and hates boredom
• Socialize the dog right from its very young age to move with people and other dogs. This will help the dog to interact well in the social setting
c. Giving good training
Setting boundaries for the dog and make it follow your control.
• Give it the important potty training – Frequently take the dog outside and avoid it from defecating or creating accidents inside the house. This will improve the potty behavior of the dog. You can give small rewards to the dog if it goes out properly to the bathroom place and encourages it.
• Crate training – Ensure that the dog wishes to stay longer in the crate.
• Leash training – Practice the dog by wearing the leash so that it shows cooperation while walking on a leash. Dogs tend to have a quality of running off immediately once left free.
• Train with a clicker – Clicker can be used by dog owners to teach some commands to the dog and assures that it follows accordingly.
d. Gain complete knowledge about your dog
It is important for a dog owner to gain comprehensive knowledge about the characteristics and behavior of this dog. Likewise, another important thing to observe is that this dog breed howls a lot and occasionally barks. The howling habit must be minimized to the maximum possible by the dog owner through giving the needful training and exercise.
Do Huskies Do Well In Boston?
The climate of Boston is suitable for the Huskies dog breed. But the bad characteristics of huskies like its excessive energy, loudness, and escaping mentality are difficult to control. It will be a very challenging job for new dog owners who wish to own a Husky dog.
People who wish to own must really give a deep thought in this matter before proceeding on their wish.
What’s The Temperament Of A Husky?
What Is It Like To Own A Siberian Husky?
A clear and complete research must be made before owning any dog. It has its own set of pros and cons. The most notable qualities are its affection and loyalty to its boss and like to be friendly with all. Meanwhile, its cons include extreme energy, independent nature and easily escapable.
So, it is up to the owners to decide about buying this breed to grow it at home.
The owners must deeply think about the following questions and arrive at a proper decision before wishing to own one at their house. They are:
- Whether the dog will be suitable for us and manageable?
- Whether enough time can be allotted for taking care of the dog?
- Will the dog be able to adapt itself in line with the house environment?
- Can the problems, if any given by the dog on a repetitive basis be handled tactfully or not?
Are German Shepherd/ Siberian Husky Mix Family-Friendly Dogs?
Yes, the German Shepherd and Siberian Husky mix dogs do generally develop good bonding with their respective families. These dogs display high loyalty to those who handle them. They also like the kids of the family in which they grow. They love to play with those kids daily.
How Suitable Is A Husky As A Family Dog?
People who are completely knowledgeable about the Husky and have the patience, time and caring traits can adjust and do well in growing this dog.
It is extremely important for a desiring dog owner to completely analyze: himself/herself, the current lifestyle and thoughts of family people to arrive at a proper decision. Indeed there are quite a reasonable number of people worldwide who grow a Husky, which is well cared for the family members.
Getting 3 New Dogs. Any Tips On A Husky, Malamute, Samoyed?
i) Do not rush immediately once if you get a thought of owning a dog. Deeply analyze your overall situation and then take a call.
ii) In case if you have decided to own a dog, you can get any breed to your home but it is not advisable to bring three new dogs instantaneously. It is better to purchase only an older dog that can get along with children in the home and has earlier lived in such an atmosphere.
iii) Visit some dog rescue shelters and then know details about some dog surrenders done by some owners. You will come to know about the background of the dog. It is not right for you to straightaway think that going and picking a dog from a rescue shelter is itself a wrong approach.
You must understand that the dogs at rescue shelters might have been surrendered by the owners due to: financial position, family breakup and lack of time to spend/care for the dog.
What Is The Nature Of A Normal Husky?
Like every other dog breed, the Husky possesses its pros and cons. The Husky has good laudable traits like intelligence, friendliness, playfulness, agility affection and loyalty. However, the big demerits of this dog breed are its highly independent nature and phenomenal energy.
These two traits of a Husky is extremely problematic for the owners to adjust because its independent nature never allows it to obey the commands of its owner/boss.
How Should I Care For Shepherd-Husky Mix Puppies?
The following steps must be followed to ensure that the Shepherd-Husky mix puppies are properly taken care of:
- Give them the best food that is affordable for you – It is important for a dog owner to assure that his/her dog gets the best food. You can give a raw diet and also good branded grain-free kibbles. You can even visit a vet to get to know about the best food to feed
- Ensure that the pups are properly vaccinated – Vaccination is very important as it is highly likely for your dog to be infected by contagious diseases. Since your dog tends to come into contact with other dogs at the park or on the road, the risk of disease spread is high. For example, Canine distemper is a dreadful carrier disease
- Get the pups microchipped – Microchip is a method of electronic identification. Each microchipped dog will have a unique number that can be identified by a microchip scanner. The chip is so small and is planted under its skin. This is an effective measure to curb dog trafficking. A dog and its owner can be reunited through this method.
- Give the necessary training – It is vital to give all the necessary training for the dog to make it understand about the behavioral requirements in a society. The basic commands training must be given to the dog like: sit, stand, down, drop and recall.
- Socialize the dog with other dogs and people – Once a dog is vaccinated, the owner must make the dog socialize with other dogs and humans. The dog can be taken for walks, like to a garden or just walk for a walk on roads or streets.
What’s The Cheapest Way To Adopt A Husky?
It is imperative for every person who wishes to own a dog to first know that the initial cost of adopting a cheap husky pup is not a real intelligent move. The cost of maintaining the dog throughout its lifetime is what matters.
The amount spent on its food, toys, veterinarian fees, and special training classes pull out a considerable amount of money from the pockets of its owner. A husky dog with good health and temperament could be found at an economical price from certified dog breeders and local SPCA.
What Is A Husky Puppy Like? Are They Vicious?
Husky Puppy belongs to the dog breed that is highly aggressive, energetic and independent. It is very difficult to control these dogs and it requires much patience and allocation of more time for taking care of this dog.
It is quite often heard from people who grow this dog as their pet that it can be vicious and it is an innate characteristic of the Husky.
Are Huskies A Good Pet To Have?
Although Huskies are popular, growing it as a pet in the house requires some deep thought and consideration of some key factors. The important factors to consider are:
- Based on the family of the dog owner in respect of their thought about pets and the kind of activities that they like to do apart from the routine housework
- Age group of children in the house
- Is there any other pet that is already grown in the house?
It is necessary for the desiring owner of a Husky dog to analyze the above points cautiously and discuss with the family to arrive at the right decision.
However, if Husky dogs get accustomed themselves to the new environment will show real bonding towards the owner and other family members. It loves to play with children.
What Are Husky Heeler Mixes Like?
Husky Heeler mix dogs can do well as pets but the owners must adjust to its sudden emotional outburst and destructive behavior. This happens when this dog is left alone for long and it remains in a lethargic condition. Expert training by trainers is required for this dog breed to eliminate these behavioral anomalies.
Husky and Blue Heeler mix dogs tend to have a gentle approach towards humans and it is quite affectionate. However, the Husky Heeler mix bred dog response slowly to the commands of the owner in its younger age. When it becomes older, it really gets fast in obeying the commands of its owner.
However, this mixed breed does not get along with other dogs initially but over a period of time can adapt itself. Socialization training is necessary for this dog breed right from the time it is young in respect of moving with strangers.
Recall training is necessary to be imparted in this Husky Heeler mix dog breed. It is indeed a difficult task for the owner to undertake this. Owners should impart this training to a dog or else the dog will totally go out of control.
What is the name of a breed of dog that looks like a wolf?
There are 11 dog breeds that resemble a wolf and they are:
- Czechoslovakian Wolfdog
- Siberian Husky
- Alaskan Malamute
- Canadian Eskimo Dog
- German Shepherd
- Saarlos Wolfdog
- Northern Inuit