CORGI HUSKY MIX
There are quite a few dog breeds that can steal our heart wherever and whenever we see them.
Corgis and Huskies are way top on that list.
If you love chunky little corgis and hefty handsome huskies, but don’t have time or space for both, then we have good news for you. A Horgi, yes, you read that right. There is an adorable ball of a fluffy dog– Corgi Husky Mix.
A combination of brains and bravery, in a cute little package!
They are not only well behaved, attractive, adorable and high energy dogs but also down to earth.
Also known as Siborgi, they are a cute cross-breed between a Welsh Corgi and a Siberian Husky.
This hybrid retains their parent’s feisty nature, along with their loyal vigilance and has incurred many names including Horgi, Siborgi, Corgski or Corgsky.
It is often depicted as the dog with big temperament and small legs.
Let’s find out more about Corgi Husky mix & much-needed information about this lovely dog breed.
- Dog Games
- Happy Puppy Management Tips
- Dog Adoption
- How To Train Your Dog For Basic Commands?
- Majestic Names For Your Male Dogs
- Cute Names For Female Dogs
- Foods That Are Safe For Your Dog
- Must Know Dental Care Tips
- First Time Dog Owner Tips
- Pet Insurance
- Pet Travel Made Easy
- Understand Your Pets Body language
Corgi Husky Mix Infographics And Video
Corgi Husky Mix Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: Siberian Husky – Northeastern Asia, Pembroke Welsh Corgi – Pembrokeshire, Wales (ancestors), Cardigan Welsh Corgi-Wales (ancestors)
- Size: Small-medium
- Dog Breed Group: Working + herding group
- Purebred: Yes
- Lifespan: 12-15 years
- Height: 13-15 inches
- Weight: 20-50 lbs
- Coat Appearance: Double coated
- Coat Colors: Red, sable, grey, dark brown
- Temperament: Alert, friendly, sweet, loyal
- Good With Children: Yes; better under supervision
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes; better under supervision
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Grooming: Moderate-high
- Shedding: Moderate-high (seasonal)
- Barking: Low to moderate
- Suitable For Apartments: High
- Need For Exercise: Moderate
- Easy To Train: Yes but early training recommended
- Good For First Time Dog Owner: Moderate
- Health Issues: Hip dysplasia, obesity, Von Willebrand’s disease, back trouble, epilepsy, eye problems, skin problems
- Litter Size: NA
- Average Price: $300-$700 (US)
Corgi Husky Mix History
Moreover, it’s also a designer dog since two of the cutest dog breeds are bred together.
Both the Husky and Corgi arrived in the US almost hundred years back, so you would definitely say this mix has been on the cards for a while.
Breeders initially started breeding these two together so as to make a more compact Husky. What they didn’t expect is that they got the size of a corgi combined with the stunning physical features and characteristics of a husky.
Physically, it looks like a Miniature Husky with a grey and white coat colors with black accents and the long, curled tail. But then it has the short legs and overall proportions of a Welsh corgi
This mix breed has taken the boost from the demand of designer dog breeding in the last two decades years to increase its popularity, peaking around 2015.
This hybrid must be an F1 – first generation puppy from a pedigree male Corgi and female Siberian husky.
The mother of this crossbreed should always be a Siberian husky due to known reproduction risks associated with mating a larger sire with a smaller dam.
There are million magnificent pictures of corgi breed mixes exist on the internet.
These little dogs can attend college with you, nap anywhere, comes to attend conferences and we’ve even seen one on a mountain top.
Huskies are sled breeds and corgis belong to the herding dog family, and the resultant cross is a world-class herding dog.
The Horgi was created to combine the best qualities of both the breeds in a small size dog.
In order to understand the background of this mix, let’s decode their parent breeds.
♦ Siberian Husky
This dog breed originated in the regions of North-Eastern Siberia located in Russia. In fact, the first Siberian Husky was bred by none other than the Chukchi people.
Furthermore, these Chukchi people are hunter-gatherers who rely on this dog breed for survival. The beautiful, medium-sized almond-shaped eye of this breed always expresses a naughty or a kind expression.
The Siberian Husky belongs to the working group of breeds. It’s a larger dog breed than the Corgi, bred to pull sleds. Their legs are much longer than the Corgi’s, but they have the same large ears and alert eyes as Corgis.
Nimble-footed and swift, Siberian Huskies are renowned for their powerful gait. Not more than 70 pounds, this dog breed appears much lighter and smaller than the brisk Alaskan Malamute.
Siberian Huskies produce very little doggy smell and are amazingly clean.
This cute, agile dog breed is originally from Wales located in England. Moreover, this dog comes in-
- Pembroke Welsh Corgi
- Cardigan Welsh Corgi
♦ Pembroke Welsh Corgi
The Pembrokes are a lively, athletic, strong little herder dogs who move around compassionately without appearing needy. Not to mention, Pembrokes are world’s best herding dog breeds.
♦ Cardigan Welsh Corgi
One of the finest pieces of dog breeding, the Cardigans are well suited to manage moving cattle. Also, they are sweet-faced and congenial dog breed.
Is Horgi The Right Dog For You?
If you want a dog who…
- Is alert, athletic, assertive and absolutely trainable
- Gorgeous good looks that will get plenty of attention
- Relatively healthy crossbreed
- Weather-ready for just about any climate
- Intelligent, intrepid but impish
A Horgi may be right for you
If you don’t want to deal with…
- Stubbornness and overly possessive of owners and families
- Moderate to heavy shedding
- “Herding” small children and nipping is possible
- Strong-minded dog, requiring a person of natural authority with a dominant personality stronger than the dog’s
- Low boredom threshold, destructiveness if under-stimulated and are Prone to separation anxiety
A Horgi may not be right for you
Corgi Husky Mix Lifespan
As both her parent breeds lifespan give the longevity as the typical Corgi lifespan is around 12-15 years and a Siberian husky average lifespan is 11-14 years.
Corgi Husky Mix Size
In particular, they tend to exhibit the cute Welsh Corgi’s size. Also, the size of this breed can change depending on what characteristics they imbibe from their parents.
Corgi Husky Mix Facts
At times, the Horgi resembles the ever-active German shepherd. They have a small but sturdy frame and appear with short legs.
This mix breed appears cautious, friendly and sweet in nature. It also has rounded heads and erect ears, that gives it a cute look. An easy to train companion dog, the corgi-husky mix is small or medium in size.
This breed has a medium to long, beautiful, thick double coat that sheds a fair amount and requires regular brushing.
Some dogs will have slightly fluffier heavy double-coat of Huskies and others have a medium-length, weather-proof, thick coat of the Corgis.
It features straight medium-sized coat, which is water-proof by nature. In general, the coat can also be a combination of their parents or it could also be from any one of them.
However, you can expect a crossbreed with a thick coat. The parents are cold-weather dogs and they will sure to reflect this aspect.
They usually have coats with more than one color and their markings can vary.
The color will range greatly, from red, fawn, tan or sable coat of their Corgi lineage or the grey, black, or the color of their Siberian husky lineage and also everything in between.
Colors and markings can be inherited from either parent; they may inherit a Husky “mask” and most dogs likely have white markings characteristic of both parents.
While most Corgskis have a blend of colors, it’s not unusual for there to be one color that really stands out.
This breed is available in several colors and some of them include brindle, Dark Brown, Gray, Sable, and Red. Moreover, it’s not impossible for all the puppies to have one single coat color but that’s quite rare.
Take a look at some of the most interesting facts about the Siborgi dog breed
- The Horgi is happy to play with strangers and at times can become a bit stubborn with young children.
- Corgi Huskies are so cute that with a single glance, and you will be desperate to carry them home.
- These very loyal dogs need physical and mental activation. They are diligent and perform all jobs to perfection.
- The Husky breed, as well as the Pembroke Welsh Corgi breed, are from the same ancestry, spitz dog (northern).
- Cardigans are one of the oldest living dog breeds, dating back some 3000 years ago. The Pembrokes rather have accompanied the Vikings when they reached Wales.
Corgi Husky Mix Temperament
- The Corgi Husky mix dogs are stubborn, protective, playful, outgoing, and friendly.
- Very easy-to-train smart dogs, Horgis are loyal and unique.
- Due to their friendly nature, Siborgis are not good guard dogs and they treat even the strangers with love.
- Furthermore, these dogs like plenty of activity and are always ready to please their owners.
- To sum up, Corgi’s will never display any territorial behavior and they always appear intelligent and robust.
Who Gets Along With Corgi-Husky mix Dogs?
- Family with kids
- Active household
- Singles and seniors
- Apartments and condos with large spaces, country homes, houses with yards
- Apartment Living – No, But She Can Adapt
- Good For First-Time Owners – Yes
- Sensitivity Level – High
- Loneliness – Averagely Suited To Be Alone
- Cold Weather – Very Good
- Hot Weather – Good
- With Family – High
- Kids – High
- Other Dogs – High
- Cats – Good, If Raised Together
- Other Pets – Good, If Raised Together
- Strangers – Average, Reserved
- Independence – Fairly Independent
- Dominance – High
- Combativeness – Bit Aggressive
- Indoors – Moderately Active
- Outdoor – Highly Active
- Territorial – Yes
- Easy Of Transportation – Medium
Corgi Husky Mix Food
The Horgis have a big appetite and if they are fed without a proper diet plan, they tend to gain weight & become obese. And importantly, you must keep track of your dog’s daily intake.
Another key point, this being a designer dog mix, the regular dog food intake depends on your dog’s actual size. Moreover, an expert consultation will help decide the right amount of food you should feed.
One another thing!
You should follow this simple rule when you feed treats
- 20% food intake from treat
- Remaining 80% from a regular kibble diet
- Other great choices include sunflower seeds, tuna, and olives as treats
As a general rule, Corgi-husky mix breed should be fed with dog food apt for small or medium breeds, anywhere from two to three meals per day, depending on the health requirements and dog’s age.
You will need to take their activity level into consideration when determining how many calories your dog needs, particularly if you are doing any work or training.
Dry food is generally a great option for your golden husky as it keeps their teeth and gums clean and strong. Your puppy needs around 1 ½- 3 cups of dry dog food each day.
Split this in half and feed her in the morning and in the late afternoon. The quality of their diet will have a major impact on their growth, health and fur coat appearance so it’s better to avoid store-bought dog food or commercial food for your puppies.
Avoid feeding them a diet high in carbohydrates as and feed them dog food formula high in protein. But you can give them complex carbs that will help them preserve their energy levels all day long.
Avoid cheaper recipes that contain simple carbs like wheat, corn or soy. As she grows up, you’ll need to increase the amount you feed her but watch your dog’s weight as they have a big appetite and tends to overeat.
A grown-up Corgi-husky mix breed needs between 1-2 cups of dry food each day split between two servings.
Calorie considerations – A typical, healthy Horgi should be fed about 40-50 calories worth of food per pound of body weight. So,
Horgi puppy (four to 12 months) who doesn’t exercise a lot, weighing an average of 10lbs, needs around 500 calories per day, split between two or three meals.
-An active, adult Horgi in the 50lbs range should get around 1000-1500 calories per day.
-Older, lazier Horgi need 1000-1200 calories per day
-The average adult dog should get anywhere from 1200 to 1500 calories per day.
Rough Feeding guide for Corgi-Husky mix dog:
- Daily cost – $1.00 – $2.00 (average)
- Monthly cost – $25.00 – $30.00
- Pups between 8-12 weeks old – 3 meals every 24 hours (265g- 400g).
- 3 to 6 months old – 3 meals every 24 hour period (400-600g)
- Feed puppies 6 months to 1 year – 2 bowls of food daily (600g)
- When your Corgski hits her first birthday, one bowl or two smaller bowls every 24 hours is typically all that’s necessary.
Adult dogs rough feeding guide
- Dogs weighing-15 kg = 265g- 400g
- 20 kg =400g
- 25 kg = 400g- 600g
Keep in mind; these feedings depend on your dog’s eating tendencies and depending on their activity
Here is a rough Macronutrient guide for your perusal.
- Protein content should be anything from 14 – 20%
- Carb content should be 30 to 70%
- Fiber content should be less than 4%
- Fat content should be less than 10%
- Calcium content should be 0.5 – 0.8%
- Phosphorous content should be 0.4 – 0.7%
- Sodium content should be 0.2 – 0.4%
These are top 10 foods that should not be fed to Corgi Husky Mix:
- Raw or Undercooked Meat
- Raw Eggs and milk
- Chocolate and coffee
- Sodas and alcohol
- Grapes and Raisins
- Onions, garlic
- Bread Dough
- Salty food
Our recommendations for the Corgi Husky Mix foods:
- Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Nutro Lite and Weight Management Adult Dry Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Active Longevity Chicken Meal
- Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe
What to feed your Horgi?
Corgi Husky Mix Health Problems
One of the healthiest dog breeds, the corgi husky can survive around 15 years under proper care and guidance. However, like other dog breeds, they are also prone to certain health problems.
♦ Degenerative Myelopathy
A progressive disease damaging the spinal cord, this condition normally affects the Corgi’s between the ages of 8 – 14. Usually, degenerative myelopathy starts with ataxia or loss of coordination in the dog’s hind legs.
Once affected, the corgi husky dog will wobble, drag the feet or knuckle over while walking.
How to prevent degenerative myelopathy?
There is evidence that feeding the dog with raw vegetables particularly rich in vitamins E, C, B and minerals can reduce the severity.
♦ Hip Dysplasia
This disorder consists of a weakly formed hip joint. Additionally, the condition worsens over time. Hip Dysplasia is passed on by the Husky genes and the common signs include lethargy, reluctance to remain active, or difficulty standing up.
Overall, this condition gets bad due to bad nutrition or obesity and a well-balanced diet can work wonders.
♦ Back Problems
This breed dog looks adorable but their unusual proportions generate back problems. The dog’s condition worsens if they are obese.
Simple training like teaching your dog not to jump unnecessarily will reduce the strain on your dog’s joints.
♦ Other health problems
This dog mix is also prone to
- Patent Ductus Arteriosis or PDA
- Von Willebrand’s disease
- Eye problems
- Skin problems
Training A Corgi Husky Mix Puppy
- Trainability – Hard
- Intelligence – High
- Memory – High
- Mouthiness – Low
- Prey Drive – High
- Wanderlust Potential – Low
Is she hard to train?
Usually, the Horgi is rather tricky to train as she inherits the intelligence and nature from her parentage.
They also have an independent mind of their own as Siberian Husky are notorious for acting on their own volition. Corgis are known to run off and not come back until they’re comfortable.
She sniffs your nervousness, uncomfortable nature in a leadership role or if you are too meek to enforce a command. This behavior makes her agitated and it’ll encourage her to claim the top spot…and tell you what to do!
It’s advisable that the training of a corgi husky mix puppy starts at a very early stage.
With good socialization and training in their puppy years, Corgi Husky dogs behave obediently.
In reality, Corgi Husky dogs are smart breeds and positive reinforcements along with consistent training will work handsomely.
Corgi Husky Exercises
A corgi husky dog requires regular exercise and needs at least a walk a day to make him healthy and happy.
On the contrary, this dog mix can become a bit cranky if his daily exercise needs are not met.
Furthermore, this dog breed performs well when the leash is removed and they are good at Frisbee, fetch, and other high energy games.
Here are 10 Corgsky instructions to develop good manners
- Your Dog Needs Consistent rules and Boundaries to Feel Safe
- Spend a great deal of quality time together; Take her out often and experience outdoors
- Let your dog be a dog! Remember they are dogs first, then species, then breed, and then name!
- If your Horki is not right at your side, it won’t be right anywhere else
- Establish and promote a level of mutual trust and respect
- Be nice even when you think they are naughty.
- Learn what your Horgi loves, and do more of it
- Always train, never test
- Make it exactly what you want, from the first repetition to the last
- Quit while you’re ahead and don’t make them exhausted
So, what about the first-time owners?
Horgi is not the best choice for First-time dog owners as they need to be trained, socialized and handled by people who are adept with the specific needs of these intelligent, stubborn and sharp dogs.
They can often let slip a more dominant side so they need to be properly handled and trained right from the word go. It’s really difficult to wear out a Horgi, if not impossible.
They must be given lots of mental stimulation and daily physical exercise.
First-time owners, if they do want to get one, they must know that Horgis are stubborn and may be difficult to train hence only adopt this mix breed if you are willing to put in the effort.
They need to be really assertive and commanding to prevent the dog from showing a more dominant side. Make sure to research their temperament extensively before adopting.
Do not become unsettled by them and do your best to motivate them.
Corgi Husky Mix Care
- Exercise Needs – High
- Intensity – High
- Activity Level – High
- Exercise Requirements – >30 Minutes/Day
- Rec. Walk Mileage/ Week – 6 Miles
- Playfulness – High
- Grooming Needs – High
- Tendency To Drool – Low
- Snore – Low
- To Bark – Average
- To Dig – Low
- Social/Attention Needs – High
How to care for a Corgi Husky mix?
Taking care of a Corgi Husky mix dog is very vital. So, keep these things in mind while taking care of a Corgi Husky dog- Since they are very sweet and friendly, Corgi Husky is not a natural choice as guard dogs.
Secondly, these dogs are more suited to live in colder climates, and they may feel uncomfortable to survive in hot conditions. A special thanks to their thick double coat.
Therefore, remember that dogs are a lifetime commitment and there is simply no assurance that your Corgi Husky dog will always be quiet and obedient.
Corgi Husky Mix Grooming
- Coat density – Thick
- Length – Short
- Texture – Straight
- Brushing frequency – Weekly
- Trimming/stripping – No
- Hypoallergenic – No
- Shedding – Moderate to high
A Horgi sheds right throughout the year. However, depending on the dog’s individual trait, they may undergo medium or heavy shedding. Since Horgis are heavy shedders, daily grooming is advised to manage their double coat.
Welsh Corgis are natural shedders and being half Husky means a lush, thick coat designed to deal with tough winters.
So, be prepared to vacuum your home every once in a while, and brush her regularly.
Make grooming your dog a part of your regular routine, 5-10 minute daily and pooch-pampering sessions to keep her coat healthy, shiny and tangle free.
Fortunately, she doesn’t shed anywhere near as much as their parent breeds. Look forward to two major blowouts a year and brush her once a week during warmer months whereas daily during the colder months.
We recommend the following brushes:
- Pro Slicker Brush for Dogs and Cats
- FURminator Dog Dual Brush
- Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
Since these dogs enjoy time out-of-doors, their fur is likely to attract mud, grass, pick overs and weed, along with other irritants.
You also need to bathe them on a regular basis which can also help with excessive shedding. Keep her away from dirty patches, brush her, and she’ll take care of the rest.
As with any pet dog, you’ll also need to clean her teeth, ears regularly and trim her nails as well as go for regular health checks.
Corgi Husky Mix Price
Finding the right price for a corgi husky dog can be a daunting task. Depending on the breeder’s reputation, the average cost can be somewhere between USD 750 to USD 800.
However, before buying one you better carefully study whether this dog breed will suit your lifestyle. Can you adopt Corgi Husky from rescue shelters?
Most shelters keep track of all the mixed-dog breeds under their care and it’s definitely worth contacting your local dog shelters.
Corgi Husky Mix Breeders
So, can you name many Corgi Husky dog breeders to choose from? Being a designer dog breed and not a typical pure breed, dog lovers usually find it hard to locate a breeder. The reason is most breeders prefer purebreds for breeding purposes.
Equally important, your search for this dog breed online or at rescue shelters can yield positive results.
Breeders, animal shelters and rescue groups
- Let Alone Creek Corgis Baskerville, Virginia
- Jimanie Pembroke Welsh Corgi Lexington, South Carolina
- Jimanie Pembroke Welsh Corgi Lexington, South Carolina
- Montaire Kennels Tucson, Arizona
- Glasshouse Kennel Ventura, California
- Doxford Kennel Geneseo, Illinois
- Davenitch Cardigans Andalusia, Alabama
- Foggy Bottom Summit Central City, Iowa
- Red River Huskies Arcanum, Ohio
- Troika Kennels Gainesville, Texas
- Aniak Siberians Wasilla, Alaska
- Taja Siberians Shelby, Michigan
- Snowborn Siberians Chippewa Lake, Ohio
In cramped places in the United States, Corgi Husky Mix dogs are turning out to be the latest addition in the families. Take a shot and decide for yourself how much you know about the Corgi Husky Mix dog.
1. Is It A Hypoallergenic Dog?
No, They are a heavy shedding dog. It’s necessary that you regularly brush your dog once a week. Hire a professional groomer in the shedding season.
How much are corgi husky mix?
The Corgi Husky Mix puppy can cost anywhere between $750 – $1000 USD. Well, reputed breeders always charge a premium for their puppies since they carry proper documentation as well.
What ’s a corgi husky mix dog called?
The cutest dog the world has ever witnessed so far, the Corgi Husky Mix is also called Siborgi or Horgi. This dog is a cross between a Corgi and the Siberian husky.
The Corgi Husky Mix dog is a small to medium dog breed with a life expectancy somewhere between 12 – 15 years.
Name some of the best Corgi Mixes
Some of the cutest Corgi mixes that’ll steal your rude heart include-
Pitgi – Pit Bull + Corgi
Spitzgi – Spitz + Corgi
Greygi – Greyhound + Corgi
Corrier – Terrier + Corgi
Rottgi – Rottweiler + Corgi
Corgiever – Corgi + Golden Retriever
Sheepdgi – Sheepdog + Corgi
Cattlegi – Cattledog + Corgi
Cohuahua – Chihuahua + Corgi
Shigi – Shiba Inu + Corgi
What’s the size of a Corgi Husky Mix?
The actual size of a corgi husky mix actually depends on certain traits these dogs acquire from their parents.
This dog weighs between 20 lbs and 50 lbs and stands at between 12 and 15 inches tall.
Do corgi mixes actually shed?
There are some animals that invariably shed more time and again. Shedding is a simple natural process and it’s a display of regeneration and growth of hair.
Double coats are the reason why Welsh Corgis shed heavily. Their double coat contains a longer outer coat and inner short insulated coat.
During the winter shedding season, the corgi’s inner coat retains warmth and it’s water resistant and insulated. This important feature protects it from extreme cold.
The inner coat remains more strong than the outer coat in the winter months. Corgis, in general, shed at least two times a year, in both autumn and winter.
Corgis may shed more due to illness and hormonal imbalance too.
Do corgis actually bark incessantly?
Corgis are known for their loud bark. These dogs are herding dogs by nature. Herding dogs are always known for their rounding up, monitoring, and barking skills.
Corgi husky mix for sale in the United States and the UK
The Siborgi is not actually a pure breed dog. In this case, you may find it difficult to locate a breeder. Designer breeds are quite popular in both the UK and the United States.