Are you looking for an energetic, kind, cute, and obedient hybrid dog? Then, this charming and gorgeous dog that is admired by all in the household and friends suits you well.
This breed has a U.S. origin and it suits well for families. Earlier, the U.S. Army developed this breed as a police dog during the 1960s.
Let’s look at how these breeds are wonderful pets for families.
Sheepadoodle Infographics And Video
Sheepadoodle Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: United States of America
- Size: Medium
- Dog Breed Group: Working
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan: 12 to 15 years
- Height: 13 to 27 inches
- Weight: 45 to 80 pounds
- Coat Appearance: Long, soft and Curly Coat
- Coat Colors: Black, black and white
- Temperament: Friendly, Intelligent, Kids friendly, Quiet, Energetic, Playful, Sweet
- Good With Children: Yes
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes
- Hypoallergenic: Yes
- Grooming: Moderate to High
- Shedding: Low
- Barking: Rare
- Suitable For Apartments: Yes
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: Yes
- Good For First Time Owners: Yes
- Health Issues: Hip dysplasia, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Cushing’s disease
- Litter Size: 5 to 6 puppies at a time
- Average Price: $1000 to $3000
They are crossbreeds of sheepdog and poodle. This variety is specifically developed for ardent dog lovers.
Old English Sheepdog:
Poodles were popular in the olden days due to their small size. They were initially developed in Germany for hunting fowls in water. Poodle mix dogs like Aussiedoodle, Australian Labradoodle, Cockapoo are cute balls and are gaining popularity in recent times.
As it is a cross breed, their types will differ depending upon their parents. Let’s look at a few of them:
Pure Old English Sheepdog mixed with Pure Standard Poodle produces this type. If you breed the purebreds of sheepdog and the poodle, you will get this type.
This breed costs high as you combine the purebreds. Also, this is the best combination.
If you want to have a hypoallergenic dog, then go for an adult dog. In general, they shed minimum. But, the coat of this dog changes when it grows.
You should feed an adult three to four cups of dry dog foods daily. Ensure that you are feeding a high-quality food to your pet.
They are crossbreeds of Standard Sheepdogs and Miniature Poodles. Their height is below 20 inches and weight ranges from 24 to 44 pounds.
These doodles are the charm, adorable and lovable.
Tiny dogs of this breed are developed by crossbreeding an Old English sheepdog with a Toy Poodle. They weigh around 10 to 24 lbs.
These dogs look gorgeous. They have a strong, muscular body with a round or square face. Their face is black usually.
They have a feather-shaped browny eye, hanging ears, and a dome-shaped skull.
Their coat is soft generally. The color can be black and white or black. In a rare case, these dogs come in White. Most often, the black coat changes to gray and white or gray. Some of them may have thick and dense double coats like poodles.
They get blue eyes from her parent Old English Sheepdog. Either one or both of her eyes are blue based on the inheritance. In general, they are rare and expensive.
Sheepadoodle Size And Lifespan
The size of this dog is similar to that of the standard poodle. Their height is between 24 and 27 inches. They weigh between 45 to 55 pounds.
But, depends on their parents, small dogs weigh 45 to 65 pounds and the large ones weigh 60 to 80 pounds.
The average lifespan of this dog breed is 12 years. But, some can live up to 15 years. If you are lucky, they can be a long-time friend for you.
- They are happy, healthy, loyal, and intelligent dogs; well-suited for families.
- Very sweet and affectionate with the family members irrespective of age especially with seniors and children.
- They interact with their counterparts and maintain a good relationship with them.
- Love to play a lot and bark less. It is a quiet dog breed.
- Easy to train and sure does have the eagerness to please the owner.
- As it sheds minimally, maintenance cost will be less and a bonus for families.
- This breed was developed during the 1960s.
- They were developed initially with military objectives.
- The term doodle was coined in 1992 and ‘poodle’ became ‘doodle’.
- Meryl Davis and her fiancee Fedor Andrew, the popular figure skaters, have a miniature Sheepapoo called “Bibo”
How To Care For A Sheepadoodle?
This breed sheds minimally. But, it requires regular and a lot of grooming, that makes your dog healthy. Here’re a few tips:
As their coat may be straight or curly, brush your dog maximum times a week. This will reduce the knots and matt forming
You can trim her as the fur may cover her eyes
With the help of groomer or vet, brush her teeth regularly and trim her nails. This will make her stay clean and healthy
Bath her with good dog shampoo if it is necessary after clipping
To avoid infections like cauliflower ears, please clean their ears. Also, cut their ear hairs to make her free from wax and dirt
Take him to a groomer at least every 4 to 6 weeks
They are claimed to be hypoallergenic. However, we cannot prognosticate that it is completely a non-shedding dog. They are not suitable for people having severe allergies.
Looking for different haircuts for your pet? Have a quick look at a few styles.
You can cut and style your dog’s hair in many ways, considering her coat and the time consumption. If she has a poodle or sheepdog coat, she can have a basic cut.
For these dog breeds that have poodle-type coats, basic styles are the Teddy Bear, Puppy Cut, and the Kennel Cut.
The toenails, eyes, and nose are visible in the Teddy bear. In the Puppy cut, the coat is trimmed to a medium length. A ball called “Pompom” will be at the tip of the tail. Ears and the head top will have long hairs, whereas the rest of the coat is trimmed short in the Kennel cut.
The Continental, the Sporting Cut, Corded Coat, Dutch Clip, Bikini Cut, Lamb Clip and the English Saddle are the other styles.
Other haircuts are:
The Puppy Cut
In this haircut, you have to cut the coat too short. The eyes and the feet will be visible and it is easy to maintain.
The Long Puppy Cut
It is well suitable for sheepdog-style coats. After a thorough bath and blow-dry, you have to trim the coat up to wee level. Their legs will be like cotton cylinders and the rest of the body will be fluffy. After the haircut, the coat will be floating when the dog walks.
The Traditional Sheepdog Cut
You can allow your dog’s hair to grow naturally and then trim. The hair will grow about one inch in a month after trimming.
A high-quality diet is suitable for this breed. Have a look at the below information for how much to feed and how often:
- Feed your dog two to three times daily as they are active.
- If they put on or lose weight, give the food in small portions.
- Ensure that you are feeding 2100-calorie diet to a puppy and 1300-calorie diet to an adult.
- Feed her some dry food.
- Never feed without restraint as she has an overeating tendency.
- Do not add fillers to the diet as they have bloating and digestive issues.
- Also, they should not be allowed to do exercise immediately having their meals.
Sheepadoodle Health Problems
This breed is healthy generally, but they may inherit a few diseases from their parents. Mostly, they will have skin problems, joint issues and bloating.
Common in Sheepdogs
- Hip dysplasia – In this condition, the hip of your pet becomes weak, worse and lead to arthritis. Large breeds have hip dysplasia in most cases. Surgery is the first option and hip replacement will be done in worst cases.
- Canine autoimmune thyroiditis – Thyroid gland will not secrete hormone slowly due to the presence of anti-thyroid antibodies. If the thyroid gland functions low, it indicates this disease in your dog. You can treat this disease through daily medication.
- Hypothyroidism – A condition which the thyroid gland secretes insufficient amount of hormone or does not produce it. Symptoms of hypothyroidism are obesity, infertility, etc.
- Progressive retinal atrophy – A condition in which retina in the eye becomes worse and leads to loss of vision.
Common in Poodles
- Cushing’s disease – This condition occurs when the dog’s body produces too much cortisol or when the dog takes high-dosage medications for corticosteroid for a long time.
The doctors will provide medications or they remove will the adrenal gland in worst cases.
- Sebaceous adenitis – This is a skin disorder. Inflammation will occur in the sebaceous glands and the dogs will die. When the gland is not functioning, hair loss, musty odor, skin thickening, and secondary skin infections will occur.
Other than the above-mentioned diseases, these doodles will get the below diseases as well:
- Von Willebrand disease
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Patent ductus arteriosis
- Tricuspid dysplasia
- Patellar luxation
- Mitral dysplasia
They may occasionally get epilepsy, anemia, color dilution alopecia, etc. It is better to ensure the health issues of your dog before you own him.
Like any other dog breed, they are allergic to a few food items. Generally, corn and soy may cause allergies in dogs.
Your dog may get itchy skin if it is fed corn and soy. So, it is better to avoid feeding these food items to your dog. Also, your pet may get digestive issues from ticks and fleas if present in the food items.
So, always ensure that your pet is in a clean environment and is fed clean and fresh food.
Apart from these, they are suitable for persons having allergies and they do not drool as well.
Specifically, F1 type of this breed does not drool at all. Because of its non-drooling nature, people in the family won’t get allergies.
- These dogs are eager to learn and are intelligent. So, you can train him easily
- Training should be proper, firm and patient
- You can start training him at an early age
- Socialization (i.e. exposure to people and objects) and obedience training at a young age is recommended
- Reward your dog with treats and praise him. Do not punish him as it may lead to aggressive behaviors
- Ensure that you are providing more exposure to other dogs and people. If trained they will be sweet with cats also. This will make your dog sweet, affectionate and sociable.
Names For Sheepadoodle Puppies
Eager to name your scintillating puppy? Find your favorite from here.
Sheepadoodle Price And Breeders
You can buy a puppy at a cost of around $1000 to $3000. But, the cost depends on the color as well. Sometimes, the breeders charge separate for the eye color, especially for the one with blue eyes.
Let’s see how much this breed and the puppies cost:
- Micro dogs of this breed are quite expensive. You have to pay an extra up to $1000.
- Mini Sheepapoo costs $1900.00
- Puppies of mini dog type of this breed having tricolor cost around $2200.00
- Standard puppies having tricolor cost $1800.00
- Silver color puppies of this breed cost $1800.00
It is essential to know the breeders of every dog. You must know the breeders of this dog as it is a crossbreed.
Breeders in the United States
TLC by the Lake Standard Poodle and Doodles
1886 Mosser Rd
McHenry, MD 21541
It’s rare to find this breed in rescue organizations. When you look for this dog breed, make sure to have all the papers. Normally dogs that come to the rescue shelters will be with mats and burrs.
The shelters first give a nice spa and give them the necessary vaccination shots. It is a great family dog and will cling to the new forever owner much easier.