Owning family dogs can be unreasonably costly thanks to over-advertized pet parlors and hidden costs.
Bringing home a new furry friend and that too when there are small kids involved, the matter becomes even more crucial.
Before starting with the top 10 best family dogs, let’s learn the necessary qualities of a healthy family dog.
- Family Dogs Infographic
- Most-Valued Qualities In Family Dogs
- Are Golden Retrievers Good Family Dogs?
- Are Labrador Retrievers Good Family Dogs?
- Are Beagle Good Family Dogs?
- Is Shiba Inu A Good Family Dog?
- Are Shih Tzu Good Family Dogs?
- Are Irish Wolfhounds Good Family Dogs?
- Are Poodles Good Family Dogs?
- Are Pugs Good Family Dogs?
- Border Collie Family Dog
- Brussels Griffon
Family Dogs Infographic
Most-Valued Qualities In Family Dogs
Friendly – Before selecting a dog for your family, check out whether the dog of your choice or your family’s showcases opens demeanor and friendliness.
In reality, it’s quite difficult to exactly quantify this trait and it can vary from one to another.
You better remember not to bring home a violent, nervous, and impatient dog.
Smart – All dogs including family dogs need training and your new family member needs to understand that no means ‘stop’.
Energetic and Agile – The selected dog should have plenty of energy and stamina to play with kids.
Therefore, choose a dog that’s not the only family-friendly but also highly energetic.
For instance, Spaniels and Retrievers are brilliant high energy dogs.
Sturdy – At times kids behave differently with dogs and hence a dog that behaves resilient and as well as calm should fit the bill.
Toy or tiny dog breeds are not good choices for families because of their nervous behavior.
Also, do not fail to consider the dog breeds that are easy and helpful with the elderly at home.
Overall, with these traits taken into account, take a look at the 10 best-friendly family dogs we fail to get enough of. Please do not fail to comment on your favorite family dog in the review section.
What are good small family dogs?
Certain small dog breeds are not kids friendly. They try to scare and nibble children. But some small dog breeds like Pug, Daschund, Havanese, Poodle, Maltese, Yorkies are kids friendly and make good family pets.
Best Family Guard Dogs
The best family guard dogs have the trait of high obedience and great listening capacity for commands. They are intelligent enough to protect family members and extremely loyal.
German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman, Chow Chow, Akita Inu, etc make good family guard dogs.
Are Golden Retrievers Good Family Dogs?
- Vital info – Golden Retrievers are the fascinating loyal family dogs. Considered one of the most devoted family dogs, there are no dull days when a Golden Retriever is around.
- Nicknames – Sunshine, Goldie, Goldens
- Weight – Male – 66 to 74 lbs; Female – 55 to 70 lbs
- Height – Male – 22 to 24 inches; Female – 20 to 22 inch
- Colors – Golden, Light Golden, Dark Golden, Cream
- Temperament/Attitude – Agile, smart, intelligent, kid-friendly, easy-going
- Life Span – 10 to 12 years
- Firstly, documents preserved from 1850- 1890 at an estate near Inverness, Scotland contains the growth of the first strain of these dogs.
- In the 1800s, Retriever dogs came into limelight because of the necessity for a mid-framed dog that displays good skills at waterfowl, upland game, and wild-fowling.
- In 1908, Goldens were first registered as ‘Golden’ and displayed at England’s Crystal Palace show.
- Golden Retrievers require compulsory daily activity to maintain mental as well as physical fitness.
- With his gorgeous striking golden color and family-friendly trait, Golden Retrievers are not only a delight to own and but also nice to look at.
- Without proper companionship and exercise, your Golden Retriever may look a bit lost and dull.
- Golden Retrievers are popular faces from various media ads, for example, “Full House” TV Show and the movie “AirBud”.
- Not to mention, these dogs are successfully employed in obedience, hunting, and field trials, and also as guide dogs.
Are Labrador Retrievers Good Family Dogs?
- Vital info – The most outgoing and affectionate dog, Labs are well known for their robust energy and commitment.
- Nicknames – Lesser Newfoundland, St. John’s dog
- Weight – Male – 65 to 80 pounds; Female – 55 to 70 pounds
- Height – Male – 22.5 to 24.5 inches; Female – 21.5 to 23.5 inches
- Colors – Yellow, black, and chocolate. Chocolate labs are least common amongst other color labs.
- Temperament/Attitude – Out-ward display of affection, high-spirited, very swift, and agile
- Life Span – 10 to 12 years
- Despite his name, this dog came from the place Newfoundland and not from Labrador as popularly known.
- The first prototype of today’s Labrador Retrievers came into existence when Newfoundlands were bred with small little water dogs.
- They are the most favorite dog breed around the world.
- The pedigree of “Flapper” and “Peter of Faskally”, the most famous Labs dates back to 1878.
- In particular, people selectively use Labs as rescue and guide dogs.
- English Labs, Chocolate labs, Silver Labs and Yellow labs are varieties that go with the Labrador retriever.
- With time, many Labrador Retrievers were actually interbred and populated until the anti-interbreeding was prohibited.
- No type of Labrador can shine as a bench show winner unless the owner produces a working certificate in England.
- Experts claim the first yellow lab was born and registered in 1899. They were called Golden Labradors in the early times. The British Kennel Club later changed the name to Yellow Labradors.
Are Beagle Good Family Dogs?
Vital info – Beagles are mostly preferred as hunting dogs but they are very friendly with kids making it a popular family dog.
Nicknames – English Beagle, Snoopy, Kerry Beagle
Weight – Male – 22 to 24 pounds; Female – 19.8 to 22 pounds
Height – Male – 14.1 to 16.1 inches; Female – 12.9 to 14.9 inches
Colors – Chocolate Tri, Orange and White, Brown and White, Red and White, White and Tan
Temperament/Attitude – Very even behaved, excitable, intelligent, and amiable
Life Span – 10 to 15 years
- Beagles became a known breed only in the 1860s in America when high-quality dogs were imported from England.
- In unconfined areas, Beagles are happy to lead your family as they are very good with their noses.
- Beagles are not so easy to train but they are a lot more fun to spend some time.
- Even though Beagles are somewhat stubborn like Bassets, they are terrific companions for adults as well as for kids.
- These dogs are temporarily obedient because of their in-built independent nature, which is too normal among hounds.
- The prescribed height limit of Beagles in England and America is 16 and 15 inches respectively. In addition, there are two varieties; beagles under 15 over 13 inches and those below 13 inches.
- Beagle dogs enjoy minimal shedding and they seldom produce a bad odor or drool.
- The 36thAmerican President, Lyndon B. Johnson owned three beagles called “Edgar”, “Her”, and “Him”.
Is Shiba Inu A Good Family Dog?
- Not-to-miss info – Shiba Inus are confident, bold, muscular, and sturdy dogs. At present, they are gaining more popularity in America.
- Nickname/s – Shibas
- Weight – Male – 18 to 24 pounds; Female – 15 to 20 pounds
- Height – Male – 14 to 17 inches; Female – 13 to 16 inches
- Colors – Red sesame, Red, Cream, and Black & Tan
- Temperament/Attitude – Very outgoing, attentive, active, alert
- Life Span – 12 to 15 years
- Shiba Inus are regarded as the smallest and oldest of all existing Japanese dogs.
- After facing extinction after World War 2, those Inus remaining were part of three distinct bloodlines.
- Considered the best companion dog in Japan, Shiba Inus are excellent hunting dogs. Furthermore, their ancestors were one of the harshest survivors belonging to the mountainous regions of Japan.
- In those days, mostly, Shiba Inus came from San In or Yamanashi areas of Japan.
- At present, people use Shiba Inus primarily to hunt smaller animals.
- In essence, this dog breed remains as one of the 9 amazing dog breeds to Japan.
- Shiba puppies mostly use their tongue and mouth to feel their human companion.
Are Shih Tzu Good Family Dogs?
- Vital info – Dark Big eyes, cute little expression, these “Lion Dogs” are man’s best friends for ages.
- Nicknames – Lion Dog
- Weight – 19 to 35 pounds (Both male and female)
- Height – Male – 7.8 to 11 inches; Female – 7.8 to 11 inches
- Colors – Dark Brown, Gold, Liver & White, Blue
- Temperament/Attitude – Charming, playful, adorable, kind, outgoing
- Life Span – 10 to 16 years
- The legend about the Shih Tzu dogs is from objects, paintings, and documents from 624 AD.
- Researchers believe that the Viqur King presented the Chinese court with dogs, probably ancestors of Shih Tzus.
- Another report says that people brought the dog to China in the 17thcentury.
- Being a cute little show dog, these small dogs require regular maintenance of their health.
- Checking their ears regularly can help in eliminating the build-up of debris and wax that can cause an ear infection like cauliflower ears.
- Shih Tzus are known to possess one of the fastest-growing nails amongst small dog breeds.
Are Irish Wolfhounds Good Family Dogs?
Vital info – In the old days, Irish Wolfhounds were simply called in Gaelic as Cu meaning war dogs or wold dogs.
Nicknames – Irish dogs
Weight – Male – 140-180 pounds; Female – 115-140 pounds
Height – Male – 34 to 35 inches; Female – 32 to 34 inches
Colors – White, Wheaten and Brindle, Wheaten, Silver, Red Wheaten, Red and Brindle, Red, Gray and Brindle, Gra, Cream, etc.
Temperament/Attitude – Courageous, kindly, dignified, calm
Life Span – 6 to 8 years
- They are known as “Wolfdogs of Ireland”, “Greyhounds of Irelands”, and “Irish Wolfhound”.
- As per historical records, Roman Quintus Aurelius had received seven Irish Wolfhounds as a gift, in the year 391 AD.
- Despite having an intimidating appeal, Irish Wolfhounds are not suitable for patrol, watch, or guard dogs.
- These dogs were known for their hunting skills, especially, the Irish elk and Wolf. But, with time, this breed became extinct.
- An Irish wolfhound puppy can weigh close to 100 pounds. They normally last at least for a year.
Are Poodles Good Family Dogs?
- Not-to-miss info – Poodles are beauty and brains combined in one package, frequently excels in obedience factor.
- Nickname/s – Sleeves
- Weight – Male- 45-70 pounds; Female- 45-60 pounds, Miniature- 10 to 15 inches, Toy Poodle – 10 inches or less
- Height – Standard- 15 inches or more, Miniature- 10 to 15 inches, Toy- 10 inches or less
- Colors – Gray, apricot, black, white
- Temperament/Attitude – Swimmers, runners, very robust, active walkers, very smart, proud
- Life Span – 10 to 18 years
- Coming from Germany, Poodles are also called as Canis Familiaris Aquarius or Pudel.
- The poodle is France’s national dog. And the word “Poodle” comes from the German“Pudel”, meaning splash in the water.
- They are highly trainable and very eager-to-please affectionate dogs.
- Poodles are smart enough to learn and master different dog sports and tricks.
- The Standard poodle looks more outgoing while the mini may initially avoid strangers.
- The Standard poodle considering its strength and size looks the best active and alert of all in the poodle family.
Are Pugs Good Family Dogs?
- Vital info – Pugs are excellent companion dogs and they exceedingly shine in the show events.
- Nicknames – Parvo, Lappie, Pugnus
- Weight – Male – 13-20 pounds; Female – 13-18 pounds
- Height – Female – 10 to 12 inches; Male – 12 to 14 inches
- Colors – Black, fawn, apricot, and silver
- Temperament/Attitude – Loving, mischievous, charming, and neutral-in-behavior.
- Life Span – 13 to 15 years
- Pugs are around since 400 B.C. Many researchers claim that Pugs are somewhat similar to Pekingese and they are Oriental in origin.
- Pug was the earliest known dog breed grown as pets in Tibetan monasteries in China. Then, pugs were seen in Japan followed by Europe.
- They easily adapt themselves to small cramped apartments because pugs require only minimal exercise. Teacup Pugs are also bred with genetically smaller sized pugs and are gaining popularity nowadays.
- Napolean’s wife Josephine used a cute pug to pass secret messages while she remained under chain at Les Carmes.
- Declared as the official pet of Holland’s House of Orange after a pug somehow saved the crown prince from danger.
- In conclusion, pug lives only to please and stay close to people, thereby making them one of the most preferred family dogs.
Border Collie Family Dog
- Vital info – Collies are active dogs that can do well in all conditions but generally needs a companion.
- Nicknames – Rough Collie, Smooth Collie
- Weight – Male – 60-75 pounds; Female – 50-65 pounds
- Height – Female – 22 to 24 inches; Male – 24 to 26 inches
- Colors – White Merle, White, Sable Merle & White, Sable, Blue Merle, Tan, and Black White
- Temperament/Attitude – Beautiful, intelligent, very devoted, affectionate, and impressive
- Life Span – 13 to 15 years
- At present, there are two known breeds of Collie, the smooth-coated and the rough-coated.
- The exact origin of Collie still remains suspense, both varieties featured in the herding dogs’ history. With proper training, these stock dogs make good family pets.
- Collies love kids and they also understand and grasp human emotions.
- they are the most down-to-earth family companions.
- Collies regularly need human touch and exercise to stay healthy and active.
- Excellent protecting and herding family dogs like Border Collies are definitely worth a try in any family.
- Not-to-miss info – A Brussels Griffon played an important role in the 1997 superhit movie “As Good As It Gets” featuring Jack Nicholson.
- Nickname/s – Petit Brabançon, Griffon Belge, Griffon Bruxellois
- Weight – 8 to 10 pounds (Male and Female)
- Height – 7 to 10 inches (Male and Female)
- Colors – Red, Black and Tan, Black, and Beige
- Temperament/Attitude – Loyal, smart, alert, cheerful, expresses like humans and appears like a terrier.
- Life Span – 12 to 15 years
- In the 1800s, coachmen in Belgium kept small dogs, called as wire-coated dogs or Griffons d’Ecurier.
- It’s widely believed that Brussels Griffons was created by the cross-breeding Belgian street dog and German Affenpinscher.
- As a matter of fact, their small size and very active daily lifestyle make them a good choice for apartment life and one of the best family dogs.
- Not known to bear the separation, Brussels Griffons need companionship and constant care.
- An excellent and smart breed like this has the skill and ability to survive in the surrounding of training and interaction.