Both the parent breeds, Poodle and Australian Shepherd are popular for their brilliance. It shows in this clever hybrid dog.
This active dog breed has the capacity to read their owner’s mind and behave accordingly.
They are one of the most robust and spirited dogs. The brilliant combination of high energy and intellect is a rare trait in a mixed breed.
Check out how they adapt themselves as family dogs.
Wait..a second, take the quiz below to decide if this dog breed is the right dog for you or not.
- Fun Games For Your Dog
- Happy Puppy Management Tips
- Complete Dog Adoption Guide
- How To Train Your Dog For Basic Commands?
- Majestic Names For Your Male Dogs
- Cute Names For Female Dogs
- Foods That Are Safe For Your Dog
- Must Know Teeth Care Tips
- First Time Owner Dog Care Tips
- Trusted Pet Insurance Reviews 2019
- How Can You Have A Comfortable Travel With Your Pet?
- How To Understand Your Pets Body language?
1. The Crossbreed Of Which Two Dogs Produces This Breed
It is produced by crossbreeding a purebred Poodle and an Australian Shepherd dog. The bitch mostly belongs to the Australian Shepherd ancestry due to several factors since Poodle bitches are known for health concern.
Aussiedoodle Video And infographics
Aussiedoodle Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: Australian Shepherd – Western United States, Poodle – Germany, and France
- Size: Small-Medium
- Dog Breed Group: Working group
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan: 10-12 years
- Height: 14-23 inches
- Weight: 25-70 lbs
- Coat Appearance: Wavy to curly, thick, silky, medium or long
- Coat Colors: Chocolate, blue, cream, silver, tan, red cinnamon
- Temperament: Friendly, energetic, playful
- Good With Children: Yes
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes
- Hypoallergenic: Yes (to some extent)
- Grooming: Moderate
- Shedding: Low
- Barking: Low (occasional)
- Suitable For Apartments: Yes ( standard dog may find it hard)
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: Yes
- Good For First Time Owners: High
- Health Issues: Von Willebrand’s, Cushing’s, Gastric torsion, hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy
- Litter Size: 6-7 puppies
- Average Price: $2300-$10000 (US)
Aussiedoodle Breed Information
Surprisingly, the Australian Shepherd’s connection with Australia remains an enigma but they have remained as America’s popular dog.
It also includes working as a multi-purpose ranch and farm dog. The Australian Shepherd is also good at herding livestock.
The Poodle always shines in obedience training. They are more often associated with zero brains and only to beauty.
Australian Shepherd + Poodle = Aussiedoodle
The main reason why the poodle is the preferred option is due to Poodle’s low shedding coat trait. Not to mention, the first time breeders of this dog had this clearly engraved in their minds.
Moreover, they are comparatively new designer breeds that have gained more popularity in the United States Of America than Australia.
How are they bred?
Firstly, they are developed by cross-breeding a healthy Australian Shepherd and a purebred smart Poodle.
However, while crossbreeding, the bitch belongs to the Australian Shepherd because the Poodle bitch might raise health concerns due to the puppy size.
F1b Aussiedoodle = Poodle + F1 Aussiedoodle
In this case, you will get non-shedding puppies and mostly people having mild allergies remain unaffected. In other words, the resulting puppy will resemble a cross dog between the parents.
They are mostly seen in shades of white, grey, and black colors. They have a super-soft coat that is mostly of medium length. Also, the coat can vary in texture, from curly coat to wavy coat resembling a Poodle.
There are three varieties:
These cute breeds appear muscular built and also slender in appearance.
Are Aussiedoodles Hypoallergenic?
Indeed, these dogs are hypoallergenic but it cannot be assertively stated. If this dog breed is given daily baths with its hair coat well cleaned and brushed, then allergies which might happen through it can be avoided.
They are compatible with people suffering from allergies and wish to own a dog. Hence, regular hair grooming is essential to ensure that it remains mat-free. Remove the mats if found with bladed teeth.
It must be firmly understood that no dog breed is completely hypoallergenic. For this reason, this puppy which does not a shed hair will be ideal for people with moderate or high allergies. Until now, no scientific research has stated that specific dog breeds are only allergenic.
Whichever type of dog it might be whether a crossbred or purebred, each dog is allergenic. Generally, allergies are not spread by a specific dog’s nature of coat but the dander (dead skin) that it sheds.
Aussiedoodle Size And Lifespan
The average size of this breed is somewhere between 14 and 23 inches and weighs between 25 to 70 pounds.
The average life expectancy is between 10 to 12 years.
- They are devoted, patient, sweet, brilliant, easy-going family dog breeds making them an ideal choice for families with kids.
- Moreover, these breed dogs like roaming around the house and are highly-robust in nature.
- The Australian Shepherd has great herding talent and it may herd children and family members instantly.
- Notably, these dogs are easily trainable and are smart though not highly intelligent.
- In addition, this breed is always ready for training and most of them enjoy doing an activity.
- Being a very active dog, they need both mental and physical exercise. And they can take part in obedience, flyball, and agility exercises.
- In conclusion, they are very good therapy dogs.
What are the Aussiedoodle pros and cons?
Some of the pros and cons include
- Very loyal and smart
- Not known as obsessive barkers
- Easy to train dogs
- Ready to please the owner
Shedding is a concern for many Aussies.
This type is a hybrid dog, born from the mix of an Australian Shepherd breed with a Miniature or Toy Poodle. Other names are Toy Aussiedoodle, Miniature Aussie-Poo, and Toy Aussiepoo.
Your cute brainy Miniature pooch will definitely make an excellent family companion. They are incredibly social, quiet, protective, outgoing, affectionate, and playful.
One of the parent breeds, the Miniature Poodle, falls in the category of a hypoallergenic dog. There is a definite possibility that it could also be a hypoallergenic dog.
These dogs are occasional barkers and are also prone to separation anxiety when left alone for a long time. Both the parents are smart breeds, they are called the “Einstein” of the dog world.
Aussiedoodle Grooming And Shedding
These dog breeds can have different patterns of fur. Some dogs have the Poodle’s curls while others can have straight, long hair from its Australian Shepherd parent.
They are simply high maintenance dogs when we talk about grooming. Brushing is recommended on a daily basis depending on the dog’s coat.
For dogs with a curly coat, you should clip their coat once every 8-12 weeks. Trim the nails every fortnight and ensure that the ears are kept dry and clean to prevent all sorts of yeast and bacterial infections.
Brush your dog’s teeth on a daily basis for excellent fresh breath and overall good health.
F1B mixes will need more upkeep and maintenance since they are more likely to have curly fur. Dogs with curlier coats need more attention to keep mats untangled.
The best and effective method is to brush your dog using a metal pin brush on a day to day basis.
Simple tips to keep your puppy’s fur longe
- Try a detangling serum
- Dematting comb also works effectively but use it sparingly.
- A slicker brush or something like an ordinary wide tooth comb is
- Get them groomed at a professional pet parlor every 4-5 weeks.
Some of the recommended foods
- Puppies less than 6 months should not be fed more than three times a day.
- Dogs more than 6 months can be fed twice daily.
Best time to feed your Puppy
- Breakfast – 7 am
- Lunch – 12 pm
- Dinner – 5 pm
Avoid giving food after 5 pm since they require some time to digest the food before hitting the sack.
- Oatmeal – No preservatives or sugar.
- Apples – Remove the seeds and core before feeding
- Eggs – Selenium and riboflavin help prevents cancer and dullness respectively. Restrict the intake of egg yolks.
- Pumpkin – Vitamin A and fiber in pumpkins acts as good reward treats.
- Salmon – Eating salmon induces more shine and makes the coat healthy and strong.
- Carrots – Carrots are nutritious and also contains extra nutrients.
- Cooked chicken – Cooked chicken without any onion, garlic, or any other flavoring agents are recommended for your Aussidoodle.
Aussiedoodle Training And Maintenance
First and foremost, the maintenance will directly depend on the pattern of fur he inherits. Because of the amount of moulting your dog’s coat may need a brush every alternative day.
Secondly, depending on the coat type regular clipping may be needed every 8 weeks.
In general, basic care includes keeping his ears dry and clean and trimming his nails regularly.
They are known for dental problems and brushing his teeth habitually will yield better results.
- Very easy to train and early training should start as soon as your dog reaches eight weeks.
- Early training imparts good social behavior and your dog can avoid any bad habits.
- To sum up, positive reinforcement methods are suggested while training your dog.
The puppies are first exposed to crate training when they are around 6 weeks or so. The first thing involves spreading a puppy blanket inside the crate. Kindly remember that they are a bit high maintenance. There is no need to panic.
Start crate training while the light is present, and start at a slow pace. Allow your puppy to settle down. If you immediately shut the crate as soon as she enters it, you are showing your puppy that you simply ignoring her. That’s not a good idea. Train only one thing.
Place your puppy in the crate. Wait in the room. Take a minute until your puppy is calm and quiet. After your puppy has accustomed to that routine, you can close the crate and walk away.
Make sure you do not use the crate to punish her. Let her associate crate only with good things and not bad things.
Try these simple tricks. Open the crate and throw a “bully stick.” Allow your dog to get the stick only She is inside the crate. Cover the roof of the crate with a cloth or something. Dogs prefer to be inside something that’s safe and protective.
At bedtime, set the crate in such a manner so that they can easily see you. If not, they will feel lonely and cry.
We suggest you remove your puppy’s collar before they enter the crate keeping your puppy’s safety in mind.
Names For Aussiedoodle Puppies
- These breeds make amazing therapy dogs because they are smart and gentle with kids and elderly alike.
- Australian Shepherds have dual hair coat while Poodles are simply hypoallergenic breeds. As a result, the coat appears soft and normally they shed less. However, they are expensive maintenance dogs but it’s worth the time and effort.
- They are extremely affectionate and devoted to their owners and should never be raised in kennels or outdoors. Moreover, this dog breeds require constant love and care to remain hale and health.
- These dogs enjoy excellent health except in certain cases, where they suffer from hip dysplasia or dental issues.
- They are low shedding dogs.
- This breed dogs can learn several orders by the time they reach 4 months. They can understand instructions like “Time for bed”, “Let’s get in” etc.
- By and large, happy-go-smart, adorable, and fun dogs, they behave neutrally with everyone.
Aussiedoodle Health Problems
Recommended Read: Health problems In Dogs
1. Hip Dysplasia
In dogs, this condition is an abnormal growth of the socket in the hip. Not to mention, in very severe cases arthritis of joints and lameness are common.
Moreover, Hip Dysplasia get aggravated due to environmental conditions and genetic conditions. It is possible to detect this condition by x-ray examination.
2. Cushing’s disease
Mostly found in middle-aged ones due to the effect of a tumor in either the abdominal adrenal glands or brain’s pituitary glands.
As a result of the excess production of cortisol, the dogs undergo changes such as skin pigmentation, hair loss, increases appetite, exercise intolerance, and weight gain.
In the first place, alterations or convulsions affecting a dog’s consciousness from the age of six months. However, affected dogs might undergo seizures difficult to witness, in many cases, dogs lead near-normal lives with sporadic seizure activity.
4. The cranial cruciate ligament problem
This condition can be best understood as the typical loss of strength in the dog’s knee joint. In reality, degeneration of ligaments occurs due to awkward landing and jumping. A long-term solution requires corrective surgery.
5. Progressive retinal atrophy
A genetic condition that can be traced back to both its parents. Therefore, all adult dog should be compulsorily tested for gene carrier status.
The inflammation of the digestive organ and it can cause severe complications including vomiting, abdominal pain etc. In reality, this problem may result due to certain medications, trauma, or high-fat food.
Overall, this condition appears more frequent in overweight dogs. The treatment consists of feeding the dog with a low-fat diet and carrying out intravenous fluid therapy.
7. Ivermectin sensitivity
The Australian Shepherd suffers from a defective mechanism that stops the flow of medications particularly to the brain and spinal cord.
For this reason, it must be checked by carrying out blood tests before administering Ivermectin.
Aussiedoodle Price And Breeders
The average price is somewhere between USD $ 800 and USD $ 2300. You should always be ready to pay a hefty price for puppies bought from reputable breeders.
Top range puppies are priced between $ 2300 and $ 10,000 USD with reputable pedigree and top breed lines.
Aussiedoodle Breeders in America:
E-mail – email@example.com
- Hearthside Meadows
Mountain Grove, Missouri
- Cottonwood Creek Doodles
- Hill County Canines
(60 mins from Greensboro and 20 mins – Danville, VA)
- Sand Lake Kennels
Nancy Jark Krumm
11647 396 Ave
Columbia – SD 57433
E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org