Bernedoodles are cute looking designer dogs, that can melt the cruelest heart with an innocent childlike glance.
They are trustworthy, tender, goofy, and smart. Dog lovers adore them for their pleasant temperament as any other doodle dog. This crossbreed includes the best of both parents from its Poodle and Bernese Mountain Dog.
They are low shedding or non-shedding dogs and are mostly safe for people having allergies.
- Fun Games For Your Dog
- Happy Puppy Management Tips
- Complete Dog Adoption Guide
- How To Train Your Dog For Basic Commands?
- Majestic Names For Your Male Dogs
- Cute Names For Female Dogs
- Foods That Are Safe For Your Dog
- Must Know Teeth Care Tips
- First Time Owner Dog Care Tips
- Trusted Pet Insurance Reviews 2019
- How Can You Have A Comfortable Travel With Your Pet?
- How To Understand Your Pets Body language?
Bernedoodle Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: United States
- Size: Small
- Dog Breed Group: Family dogs
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan: 10-12 years
- Height: Standard – 23 to 29 inches, Miniature – 18 to 22 inches, Tiny – 12 to 17 inches
- Weight: Standard – 70 to 90 lbs, Miniature – 25 to 49 lbs, Tiny – 10 to 24 lbs
- Coat Appearance: Wavy, Straight, Curly
- Coat Colors: Black Sable, Blue, Fawn, Cream, Merle, Apricot, Grey
- Temperament: Affectionate, Alert, Cheerful, Courageous, Energetic, Friendly, Independent, Intelligent, Lively
- Good With Children: Yes
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes
- Hypoallergenic: Yes
- Grooming: Moderate
- Shedding: Low
- Suitable For Apartments: Moderate
- Need For Exercise: Moderate
- Easy To Train: Yes
- Good For First Time Owners: High
- Health Issues: Skin issues such as hot spots or allergies, Eye problems, Elbow dysplasia, Hip dysplasia
- Litter Size: Average-2-12 puppies
- Average Price: $ 1500 – $5000 USD (US)
It’s stated that the first breeding of this cute dog happened in 2003 in Canada. Sherry Rupke, the breeder, produced her first litter in Ontario.
Bernese Mountain Dog
These dogs are bred for tasks including tracking and obedience activities.
The Poodles were bred in France and Germany as early as the 13th century. They were initially employed as waterfowl retrievers.
In German, the word “pudel” means splash. The Poodle coat design was created for safeguarding vital organs and also reduces the chance of fur snagging.
Standard Poodle dogs are mixed with many breeds like Maltese, Cocker Spaniel, Shih Tzu, Labrador, etc and the respective Poodle mix outcome dogs like Maltipoo, Cockapoo, Shihpoo, Labradoodle are awesome designer dogs.
Bernedoodle Interesting Facts
- Tiny Bernedoodles are known to live much longer than standard.
- Sherry Rupke, SwissRidge Kennels, is credited for creating the first set of these dogs in 2003.
- She has also written a book titled “Bernedoodles: A Head to Tail Guide” that gives a detailed account of this adorable dog.
- Their natural trait is an unassuming slow trot.
Bernedoodle Coat Color
They are mostly-
- Tri-color (Brown, white, black)
- Black and brown
- Black and white
- Pure black
- Black Sable
The overall appearance of these dogs combines both the elements of the Poodle and the Bernese.
Some pups may lean or adopt the Berner’s massive size or the Poodle’s build depending on the breeder’s preference.
They have dark, oval eyes with a squarely built frame. These dogs have ears hanging quite close to their small cute head.
With a triangular muzzle and bushy tail, these dogs have thick cushioned pads.
They may have straight, wavy, or curly hair depending on the parent poodle. The coat texture is dense and thick with harsh texture. It can have cords varying in different length.
The coat allows the dog to stay warm in winter while helping it to stay cool in summer.
Every dog has a unique coat. Dogs with a wavy coat shed minimally. People having allergies to dander are happy with the wavy-coated dog.
Dods with a straight coat is not a common sight. They are not suitable for people having allergies.
If you suffer from allergies including dog saliva and your skin cracks when licked, you should, in general, avoid, buying any Bernedoodle.
Bernedoodle Size And Lifespan
There are three known size
Height – 23-29 inches
Weight – 70-90 lbs
Height – 18-22 inches
Weight – 25-49 lbs
Height – 12-17 inches
Weight – 10-24 lbs
Male dogs are always bigger than female ones.
F1- This dog is 50 percent Poodle and 50 Percent Bernese Mountain Dog. This mix is regarded as the healthiest of the lot.
F1b- This is a backcross; a poodle dog is bred with a Bernedoodle. The result is a dog that is 75% Poodle and 25 percent Bernese.
F1b puppies are allergy-friendly and non-shedding.
F2- Crossing an F1 Bernedoodle with another same breed F1 Bernedoodle produces the F2 Bernedoodle.
- They are family friendly dogs. Being people-oriented dogs, they love to spend quality time with their human companions.
- They are very smart, sensible, loyal, and gentle. These dogs provide support as therapy, service, and assistance dogs.
- The loyal, placid behavior of the Bernese Mountain Dog combined with the goofy nature of the Poodle creates the crowd-pleasing Bernedoodle.
- Somewhat stubborn and curious, they outgrow their childish trait when trained and socialized at the earliest.
- They are particularly aware of strangers, they make a decent protective dog for families.
- Avoid leaving these dogs alone for a long time, they are susceptible to anxiety disorder.
- Excellent swimmers; they also enjoy games such as fetching the ball, running around aimlessly.
- Brilliant with children and are easy to train, these dogs are excellent family companions.
Bernedoodle Puppy Names
Some of the popular names are listed in this section.
|Male Bernedoodle Dog Names||Female Bernedoodle Dog Names|
You May Love To Read:
Miniature and Tiny dogs are more ideal for a flats lifestyle.
Standard Bernedoodles always do better when they are provided with a backyard to freely run around.
They do not require extra personal space, and they do not turn destructive as long as their daily requirements are met.
These dogs love spending time around their humans and cutting down on their alone time is always better for their overall health.
Like Poodles, they are highly smart, which means they are quick learners. This means they are capable of learning both bad and good habits at the drop of a hat.
Early socialization and training hold the key. Early socialization with other humans and dogs is not a bad idea. It will keep them definitely well-disciplined when meeting new persons or pets.
What things you should buy before you bring home a Bernedoodle puppy?
Some of the important things you should put in place at your home –
- Training Treats
- Chew Treats – Take some bully sticks. If your puppy chews something toxic, immediately change the item.
- Slicker Brush
- Dog toys – Rope toy, squeak toy, and stuffed animal ball
- Puppy pads – Place the puppy pad in the crate.
- A couple of inexpensive bath towels and shampoo for a good wash
- Buy a large crate for a standard dog
- Good quality Bernedoodle puppy food
- An excellent storage bin along with a good airtight lid
- Water and food bowls – Preferably metal dishes
- Leash not less than 6 foot
- Name tag
- Adjustable collar – For standard dogs, the collar can is 10 inches at the smallest. You can expand this around 15 inches. Your dog can manage with this collar for a period of 6-7 months.
How to handle the Bernedoodle on the first night?
Your puppy still is a tender baby. He will be sleeping away from his littermates for the first time and may find it difficult to adapt.
Place your dog’s crate as close as possible to the bed. This will ensure that the puppy feels secure. No smoking near your pet.
Turn off the lights. Patiently wait for your puppy to go to sleep.
As a general rule, never take your puppy outside after sunset for the first few weeks.
Bernedoodle Grooming And Shedding
Their coats can change and look more like the Bernese Mountain Dog or the Poodle. These digs normally will have curly, wavy coats that shed quite less making them an ideal choice for people allergic to dander.
They can also have straighter coats that shed more and in turn less hypoallergenic. The more curly the coats, the harder it is for the owner to maintain or groom.
They shed less and frequent brushing will stop their coats from becoming matted. Some owners have this habit of brushing their dog’s coat on a daily basis. All dogs love this bonding.
Trim your dog’s coat every few months based on the length.
Is Bernedoodles hypoallergenic?
In reality, there is no dog that is fully-hypoallergenic. These dogs are considered allergy friendly.
People suffering from watery eyes, and sneezing are doing well with a Bernedoodle dog. Each and every dog has a unique coat. Most dogs have a wavy coat type.
Straight coat – This dog will shed comparatively less than its parent, the Bernese Mountain Dog.
Wavy coat – Most dogs have this type of coat. This coat type produces low or no shedding.
Curly Coat – A curly coat offers low shedding and it is suitable for people with allergies.
Bernedoodle Health Problems
As a very young breed, there are only limited details about health issues. In most cases, they are a lot healthier compared to their parent breeds.
There are some predisposed health problems-
The cases of cancer reported are low than those cases found in a Bernese Mountain Dog.
Genetic testing can easily reduce the percentage of risk involved. A well-reputed breeder will carry out a range of tests and also provide evidence.
All prospective buyers should definitely understand that all breeders invest exorbitant money in finding the good quality breeding stock.
This investment translates to higher costs for the buyer. Be regular with the immunization shots.
Do take your own time and consult with your breeder whether they are performing these tests or not:
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Degenerative Myelopathy
- Elbows – OFA
- Eyes – CERF
- Hips – OFA or PennHip or OVC
Most Bernese are found to have elbow problems and elbow clearances are not easy to come by.
Important tests for Standard Poodles
- Thyroid malfunctions – Not important but suggested for all dog breeds
- Degenerative Myelopathy
- Sebaceous Adenitis
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Elbows – OFA
- Eyes – CERF(Yearly clearance is a must)
- Hips – OVC or PennHip and OFA clearance
Common tests for breeding Toy and Miniature Poodles
- Degenerative Myelopathy
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Eyes-CERF(Yearly clearance is a must)
- Luxating Patellas Stifles
- Hip Dysplasia test, OVC 2, PennHip, Leggs-Perves Disease – OFA clearance
They are an excellent dog for all sorts of fun activity. These cute and amiable pets love and adore their owners on par with their owner showing interest in them.
These dogs offer the best taken from Poodles and Bernese Mountain dogs.
Nutritional and Health Needs of Bernedoodles
There are plenty of nutrients your doggie requires to stay healthy.
Some of the important nutrients include
Protein – They are omnivores but these dogs still carry their wild ancestry. Protein guides your dog to develop lean, healthy muscle that provides him the strength to enjoy, play, and walk with your family.
These protein sources are highly low in fat content.
Minerals and vitamins – Vital minerals like sodium, calcium, and iron play vital roles in a dog’s overall development.
All development from hair growth to muscle contraction is based on these minerals.
Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates are available in two different varieties-
Simple carbs provide instant energy while complex carbs are highly preferable and are mostly included in all dog foods.
Never introduce a new food before consulting a vet.
How to find the right choice of food for your Bernedoodle puppy?
The best and effective way is to know what you are looking for. Check whether these ingredients exist in their dog food.
Natural preservative – To keep the food fresh for a prolonged period of time, food manufacturers add preservatives.
Search for preservatives, Vitamin C and E. These vitamins provide ample nutrients and helps to keep the food fresh.
Meat-based – Protein plays a very important role. How much protein and what source the protein comes from is really vital.
Check whether the dog food you have selected contains a protein source within the main ingredients. Say “No” to meats mentioned as “by-products.”
There are plenty of food choices available for your dog. Take some time, do your own research before selecting the right food for your puppy.
How To Train Your Bernedoodle Puppies?
Considering their social nature and intelligence, your puppy would pick everything you teach them. Training these dogs is easy if you are consistent with issues like pack-leader syndrome or obedience.
If you fail to start early socialization and training, they can become hyper or neurotic quite easily. Make sure they know the difference between wrong and right.
Always adapt positive reinforcement training and never punish your dog for wrong behavior.
Most dogs love moderate activity only. They prefer to fetch, hike, run, and play, but when it ‘s time to rest, they simply “switch off” completely.
These dogs are loyal, social dogs, and perform best when fully absorbed in your life.
Some are a bit headstrong due to the Bernese Mountain Dog ancestry. This trait is more brazen at the puppyhood and will disappear with training.
Training, in general, plays an important part in guiding a dog to reach its full potential. Establish your leadership at the earliest and maintain it consistently right through your life.
Obedience training increases the relationship and supports the puppy to integrate. A well-matched and selected puppy takes consistent effort to raise a Bernedoodle dog.
Bernedoodle Price And Breeders
These breeds, in general, are relatively expensive. Based on the breeder’s reputation, these puppies cost between $1500-$5000 USD.
The price of this puppy depends on the coat and size of the puppy. Bi-color and black Bernedoodle puppies cost quite less compared to tri-color, merle, or mini Bernedoodles.
Bernedoodle Rescue Groups
These dogs are rare in rescue and shelter homes. There are some shelters, however, that concentrates only on Poodle mixes.
Keep in touch with your local vet for updated information in this regard.