They are tiny and can prove to be great companion dogs but owing to their size, it would be best if they are given to grown-up children who would handle them with care. Generally, designer dogs are not just adorable and fun to play with but can prove to be great therapy pets.
Yes, it has an extremely gentle temperament and can be used as therapy dogs in old age homes, nursing homes, etc. One significant fact to consider while buying this dog breed is that they are extremely delicate and are not suited to live outdoors.
So unless you agree to share space with them at home and spend lots of time with him, you must not plan to get one. There are a lot of factors to consider while bringing home a puppy, few of which include proper grooming, nutritious feeding, exercising, etc.
This article enlists the characteristics of this dog breed and the care-methods to ensure its healthy living.
- Dog Games
- Happy Puppy Management Tips
- Dog Adoption
- How To Train Your Dog For Basic Commands?
- Majestic Names For Your Male Dogs
- Cute Names For Female Dogs
- Foods That Are Safe For Your Dog
- Must Know Dental Care Tips
- First Time Dog Owner Tips
- Pet Insurance
- Pet Travel Made Easy
- Understand Your Pets Body language
Maltipoo Video And Infographics
Maltipoo Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: United States of America
- Size: Small
- Dog Breed Group: Hybrid
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan: 10 to 15 years
- Height: 8-14 inches
- Weight: 5-20 lbs
- Coat Appearance: Fluffy, soft and wooly
- Coat Colors: Black, Blue, Silver, Red, Grey, Brown, Beige
- Temperament: Charming, Alert, Affectionate, Playful
- Good With Children: Yes (with older children)
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes
- Hypoallergenic: Yes
- Grooming: Moderate
- Shedding: Low
- Barking: High
- Suitable For Apartments: Yes
- Need For Exercise: Less
- Easy To Train: No
- Good For First Time Owners: Yes
- Health Issues: Mitral Valve Prolapse, Epilepsy, White Dog Shaker Syndrome
- Litter Size: 5 to 6 puppies (approximate)
- Average Price: $400 to $800
Maltipoo Size And Weight
They are generally small size dogs just like their parent breeds.
Maltipoo Full Grown
Size – The height of a full grown dog would be between 8 and 14 inches. If the parent is a toy or miniature poodle, the size will be smaller than the regular dog.
Weight – They weigh around 5-20 pounds.
Maltipoo adults are also smaller in size much as their parent breeds. The size range is an average of its parent’s size and it is obvious that if its parents were a bit bigger, then you should expect your pet to be little larger than the mentioned height and weight range.
Teacups or Toy dogs are not officially AKC recognized dog breeds. It may be dangerous for the puppies to be smaller than natural size. A Teacup Maltipoo would weigh less than 5 pounds when fully grown.
The lifespan is determined based on the life expectancy of its parent breeds. Maltese usually live up to 12 years and toy poodles have a life expectancy range of 12-14 years. So, on an average, you can expect your favorite pet to live between 10 and 15 years.
This is not a proven standard range, but tiny dogs usually live longer than the larger breeds. Health is also a contributing factor while calculating an average lifespan range; pets with genetic disorders require utmost care to live a longer life.
They are very cute that you will not be able to take your eyes off them. They maintain their puppy-like temperament and looks till their teenage.
You may notice the coat to be curly in their early years and are seen in a variety of colors. However, the major coat color depends on the parent poodle.
Another significant quality in these puppies is that they are very easy to train and it will be a joy to train these puppies.
Other Names Of Maltese And Poodle Mix Breed
Maltidoodle, Maltoodle, Malti-poodle, Malt-a-doodle, Maltese-poodle, Maltese-poo, Maltedoodle, Malt-a-poo, Malta-poo, Malta poo, Malte-poo, Maltese poodle, Maltidoodle, Moodle
This dog breed, by itself, is a stunning cross between a Miniature or Toy Poodle and a Maltese dog.
The authenticity of this breed mixes is for the dog lovers to check.
The coat color of this puppy has the main influence from the parent poodle. Maltese dogs are pure white fluffy dogs. Generally, the puppies acquire the prime double color and patch of the coat from that of the poodle. All the primary poodle colors can be found in the puppies.
The coat color of this breed gets diluted with the 2nd or 3rd generation dogs. However, you can find some these dogs with a variety of colors like black, blue, silver beige, beige, red, brown, silver, and grey.
The blatantly beautiful blue Maltipoo are very rare.
The black color of this breed is rare though. The color acquired is deep ink black without any touches.
It is also difficult to find this color dogs as the white color of Maltese dogs gets colored by the poodle color.
Maltipoo Black and White
As it is a mix breed, its coat has different colors because of the coat color of the parent poodle. The black and white colored puppy will have black as the primary coat color. And, it will have white markings on the face, tummy, chest or paws.
Brown colored dogs of this breed have a dark, deep brown color coat. The coat color is much deeper than golden, bronze or tan color.
The coat of a few types of these dogs will be soft and in melted chocolate color as well. Dogs get the brown color because of the bb gene. So, these dogs do not have black pigment on their body.
It is a rare-colored breed. A mix breed of Maltese dog, this dog won’t ever look solid red in color. Rather, if a dog having an apricot-colored coat looks shiny with deep, dark red areas, it will look like a Red Maltipoo.
Besides, breeders find difficult to get the red color while breeding Maltipoo.
They are very charming and their loving, playful nature can be traced back to their ancestors; both the Maltese and the Poodles have a calm temperament that gets carried over to their crossbreed.
Each dog is unique and there may be temperament variations but here are a few features that sum up its common nature;
- Inquisitive – They simply love playing around and these companion dogs try out new games with its master.
- Affectionate – They adore their masters and can get clingy if not well-trained. Sometimes over-clinginess leads to separation anxiety if you detach the pet from its owner. Also, if the Maltipoo dog is left alone for long, they suffer from the separation anxiety and turn to be disruptive.
- Very Alert – Slightest sound would wake them up and confrontation with strangers can result in excessive barking as well. But that can be stopped by training your pet nice and proper.
- Entertaining – Dogs always have a humorous nature and their funny ways would always brighten up an otherwise gloomy day. Give your dog a squeaky toy and you will find out how entertaining these tiny dogs are!
Do read our other articles:
Maltipoo Grooming and Shedding
Do Maltipoos Shed?
They are hypoallergenic and do not shed like other small dog breeds.
However, these dogs do not require daily brushing but need to be brushed twice a week.
Clean and clear the ears of any wax discharge weekly once to prevent ear infections.
In order to avoid periodontal problems, brush your dog’s teeth at least twice a week. Wiping the eyes with a soft tissue can reduce the fluid discharge.
Keep the toenails as short as possible. They are low-drooling and low-smelling dogs.
Maltipoo Health Problems
Generally, smaller breeds suffer from fragile bones and skeletal development issues. Apart from these common health issues, they also inherit genetic disorders that can be fatal if not attended at the right time. Here are a few health disorders that these little ones tend to suffer from;
- Mitral Valve Prolapse – The mitral valve may begin to wear out leading to leakage over time. In the beginning, the pet might suffer from frequent palpitations and lethargy but if it is not taken care of, it might cause sudden death.
- Epilepsy – The exact cause of seizures in dogs is unknown but if you find your pet suffering frequently, then it is advisable to take your dog to a good vet; brain tumors, kidney problems, etc could be the reason behind seizures.
- Orthopedic Problems – Smaller breed pets are prone to early bone issues; even the slightest injury needs immediate attention.
- White Dog Shaker Syndrome – This is a characteristic problem in most of the small breed dogs and sometimes in cats as well. The symptoms include full body tremors like epilepsy when they try to get up or with any movement. This gets worse if your pet suffers from anxiety and nervousness; if this is not brought under control, the dog may even have the problem walking.
- Porto-Systemic Shunt – They are more prone to this fatal disease that will be present from the time of their birth itself. This liver defect could only be corrected through surgery which is very expensive.
- Patellar Luxation – This condition where the dogs have slipped knee cap or abnormally formed knee cap. The parent breeds Poodles and Maltese are more prone to this disease and dog owners have to check on this problem. This causes sudden pain normally. Take him to the vet immediately.
- Eye Problems – Maltese has less history of getting affected from certain genetic eye diseases like progressive retinal atrophy, glaucoma, and ectropion. However, early detection will prevent adverse conditions. They should be examined by a vet ophthalmologist if they suffer from any itching or redness in the eyes.
Dental issues and eye problems are other few common health issues with; extreme care and complete nutrition will help you keep your pet away from health problems.
As mentioned earlier in this article, this breed is a loving, intelligent and a very playful pet that needs attention 24/7. As common with all dog breeds, training is not an easy job but the consistent effort can help you get the pet to learn your ways. The need for activity level is very high with this breed.
Home Training your puppy should be started at a younger age. If you are buying a full-grown pet, make sure it is already trained on the basics. Here are a few tips to keep in mind while training a pet.
- Choose a specific Spot – Dogs tend to get habituated to a specific routine quite easily. So if you are potty-training your pet, make sure to take it to the same spot every time. Gradually, the pet would learn to go by itself.
- Never Scold – The pet should not start fearing the training sessions so make sure you stay patient during the process. De-motivation can never help your pet learn; instead, they would turn more aggressive.
- Be Consistent – Never expect quick results; take the process slow and steady. Teach them one trick at a time and remain consistent in your efforts. A little patience is all that takes to make your pet understand your commands perfectly over a period of time.
Get them to learn how to differentiate between a foe and a friend; help them socialize with other pets.
They are highly energetic dogs and they require a diet that is specifically made for them. Feed him with quality dry kibble to help ensure the overall health of the pet.
Do not feed canned and other wet food frequently since it might cause gum and teeth problems. Do not overfeed your pet; learn its food habits and split the meal timings accordingly.
It is quite essential to ensure that your pet is eating the right quality and quantity of food and at the right time.
When discussing if this breed dog can bark, we should first look at both the Maltese and the Poodle. Some dogs are excellent barkers due to their instinct attention seeking behavior or enthusiasm.
Both the parents, Poodle and Maltese are neither watchdogs or hound dogs. Looking from that point of view, it resembles a normal barking dog.
Being a toy sized breed, it has gained a reputation as barkers because some people are of wrong assumption that all top dogs bark.
Reasons for barking and steps to prevent it
Barking is also one of the ways by which a dog or canine communicates.
Some of the popular reasons for a dog to bark include-
- Attention seeking barking
Domesticated pets need constant attention and it’s acceptable for a dog to bark when he feels he’s neglected.
Adult dogs seldom bark because he knows that his master will come back soon and they will not bother them much.
Separation anxiety can lead to incessant barking.
- Barking caused by stress
Anything, even a small sound, can cause this breed dog to react adversely. A range of stimulus and noises can drive them to bark nervously.
When you find your dog, displaying this sort of behavior, comfort him immediately.
Reward your dog when he stops barking.
- Boredom leads to barking
They bark when they get bored and this could even happen without any outside stimulus.
To stop this behavior, teach your dog to play independently. Buy them toys that drive away their boredom.
How to prevent dog barking at night?
- Teach them self-soothing
- Keep things simple
- Give them a private quiet area
- Prepare your dog for bedtime
- It is claimed to be a hypoallergenic dog and sheds quite less when compared to other long-haired breeds. This is one of the reasons why this breed is the most preferred pet since the owners are saved from grooming their pet frequently.
- This breed suffers mostly during summers; they cannot stand too much heat.
- This breed suffers mostly during summers and it cannot stand too much heat.
- They act like puppies even after they grow up; And, usually forget that they are adults. This is one of the reasons that make them the most loved pet.
- They cannot adapt to sudden food change. So keep using a particular brand and if at all you plan to change the brand, make sure you mix it with the usual food for a few days.
- This small breed expects a lot of attention and if you fail to do so, it might suffer from separation anxiety and constant barking. Hence, train your dog to handle “home-alone” situations.
Moodle Puppy Names
Looking for a marvelous name that well suits your cute puppy? Here’s a list from which you can find your favorite.
Each breeder has his own price range but beware of dog owners who are willing to give off their pups at a very low price. The average Maltipoo cost is from $400 to $800.
Some breeders may even charge up to $2000 based on the coat color, styling and the amount of training it has received. Getting a quality pup from a good breeder is always worth the money you spend.
It would be a double Bingo if the breeder is willing to sign up papers guaranteeing the health of the pup. They can prove to be a gorgeous and loving companion; you just need to ensure that they enjoy good health throughout their life.
Give them a nutritious diet and take them to a good vet at least once a month. Treat your pet well and you will turn out to be the world to him!
This dog breed is not recognized by the American Kennel Club since they are not considered purebred puppies. So it is mandatory that you choose a reputable breeder while buying a puppy.
Getting a pet from a well-known friend is always good than purchasing from an unknown puppy farm owner. Don’t ever fall for the showy Maltese puppies for sale ads without querying about the seller or breeder.
Make sure that you visit the breeder and the pet shop personally; convey your interest to see the pet’s parent breed. A good breeder would definitely allow you to meet the parent breed and check the surroundings.
If you feel the environment is super cool and the inmates are having a great time, then it is a sign that the breeder is very professional and caring.
Can Maltipoos Swim?
Yes. they can swim. The parent, the Poodle, was bred for hunting purpose and is good at retrieving water games.
The water-resistant coat of Poodle also helps him to be good at retrieving games. It has the natural trait of Poodle and this trait helps him to swim.
What is a Maltipoo?
It has the “United States of America” as the origin. This hybrid dog was bred initially as a small companion dog. Now, he is a wonderful family pet.
Breeders had the plan to cross breed the poodles for their hypoallergenic coat with other good looking dog breeds. One of such crossbreed is a Maltese and Poodle mix.
How big do Maltipoos get?
It is a small dog. But, his size depends on the parent. For example, the size of this dog breed varies based on the size of either the miniature or toy poodle usually.
Besides, it stands tall between 8 and 14 inches. And, he weighs anywhere around 5 and 20 pounds.
Maltipoo Vs Cavapoo
They are the mix breeds of Poodle. But, they have few differences.
|Size||It is a bit |
8 and 14
around 5 to
a small dog.
9 and 15
8 to 20
|Care||Needs less grooming |
coat. He also
|He has either
long or curly
|Good. He |
|High. It barks |
Maltipoo Vs Cockapoo
Like Cavapoo, cockapoo is also a mixed breed of a poodle. Let’s see the differences them.
|Parents||Maltese and |
|Size||It is a small |
8 and 14
is taller. It
|Care||Needs high maintenance compared |
|Needs less maintenance|
|Coat||Curly, soft |
|Life Span||It has short |
compared to Cockapoo.
He lives for
He can live
|Training||He takes |
in a quick
Maltipoo Vs Morkie
Like cockapoo, Morkie is the mix breeds of the Maltese dog. But, they differ in their traits.
|Size||It is a |
8 and 14
6 and 8
of his hypoallergenic
|Training||Easy to |
It will bark
will be a
to the family
Maltipoo Vs Shih Tzu
Shih Tzu is another small dog breed.
|Breed info||It is a |
|Size||Small dog. |
8 to 14
9 to 10.5
|Shedding level and Grooming||Sheds |
|Guard dog||Great guard|
|Bred to be
Maltipoo Vs Havanese
Havanese is the national dog of Cuba. Check out the difference between these two breeds.
|He is a
native to Cuba.
to the Bichon family
8 and 14
5 and 20
7 to 13 pounds
grooming is required
because of hypoallergenic coat
|Needs high maintenance and needs daily grooming|
|Training||You can |
as he is
|Barking levels||High |
Mix breed. Havanese
Maltipoo Vs Goldendoodle
Goldendoodle is another Poodle mix breed. Now, take a look at their differences.
|Size||Small dog. |
8 and 14
5 and 20
is a large
22 and 24
50 and 75
due to his hypoallergenic
|It needs a
grooming to prevent matt formation
Maltipoo Vs Shihpoo
Although Shihpoo is another mix breed of a poodle, they have a few differences.
|Mix breed |
|Hypoallergenic||Yes. It has a hypoallergenic |
|No. It does
not have hypoallergenic
|Training||It requires |
|Barking||Has high |
|Energy Levels||Has high |