Maltipoo is a designer dog breed of Maltese and Poodle mix. They are brilliant with children and if you plan to bring home a Maltipoo you should provide proper affection, training, grooming, and vet care.
Find Top Rated Breeders In Your Area
Maltipoo Puppy Care
The age definition of a dog includes
- Up to 42 days old- A newborn
- Between 48 days and 365 days- A growing puppy
- Between 1 year and 8 years- An adult dog
- 8 years or more- A older dog
Important things to keep in mind
Maltipoo puppies have some “puppy fat” and this will pave way for an adult coat.
If the Poodle gene dominates, the Maltipoo puppy will have a curly coat else a silky, soft coat.
- From birth to first 21 days- Eyes appear closed and the puppy normally does not hear. The time is ideal only for sleeping and nursing.
- 21 days old- The puppy opens her eyes and can now hear well. Some Maltipoos even sleep for 18-20 hours at a stretch.
- Between 28 days and 35 days- Switching from liquids to solids(food) is not ruled out. They learn the art of biting.
- Around 42 days- Milk teeth fall out and finally teething begins.
- Around 56 days – Puppy shots are in and they are de-wormed.
Things you should have in place before bringing home a Maltipoo puppy
You may actually need these things to make your home “Puppy-Fit.”
- Playpen– Kindly do not put your Maltipoo puppy in a crate. The best place for your puppy to learn some dog skills and catch up on sleep is a playpen.
- Canine dog bed– Maltipoo puppies will sleep well in a neatly-prepared bed.
- Poo bags– Poo bags are handy for clearing the area after bowel, Have soft shirts and baby-sized blankets for keeping your puppy warm.
- Leash or collar– Avoid collars or leashes if you find your dog uncomfortable in them. A harness appears safe and there are different models to pick from.
- Food– Never change your puppies’ diet all of a sudden. Make the shift gradually over the period of 3 to 5 weeks.
- Grooming supplies– You can buy different bath products including both conditioner and shampoo. Other than these items canine toothpaste, toothbrush, grinder, nail clipper, combs and brushes, gauze pads, and ear cleaning solution etc. are also needed.
- Proper interactive smart toys– Invest in quality smart interactive toys. You should look for toys that provide teething, companionship and a treat-release effect.
- Bowls and dishes– Avoid plastic dishes. Use ceramic bowls or stainless steel dishes for both water and food. The Maltipoo does well with shallow dishes.
- Check sugar level– Small Maltipoos are prone to low sugar and common symptoms are confusion, sleepiness, and weakness.
Dab a few drops of honey and take him to a vet if the conditions worsen.
Simple and Effective Maltipoo Puppy Care Information
- Contact a popular vet and maintain your Maltipoo puppy’s health record up to Never miss any health checks, de-worming, or vaccination sessions.
- Avoid exposing your puppy to outdoor activities. A Maltipoo puppy is prone to a lot of diseases at this point in time.
- Maintain a regular dog walk schedule of 40 mins daily. Discarding daily exercise can cause destructive chewing and excessive barking.
- Early training and socialization hold the key. Expose your Maltipoo puppy to as many new experiences, places, and people as possible.
- Always check your puppy ’s ears, anal glands, and teeth for any health issues.
- Dogs need to be shown who is the real leader of the pack and it’s none other than you. Teach him “sit” command to start with.
- Have plenty of humor and patience while training. Housebreaking and learning simple commands can be a bit overwhelming for your dog.
- With continuous care and love, you can proudly say that your puppy will grow into a well-disciplined companion.
Top 5 Important Maltipoo Care Tips
- Exercise Needs – Average
- Intensity – High
- Activity Level – Medium
- Exercise Requirements – >40 Minutes/Day
- Walk Mileage/ Week – 3– 5 Miles
- Playfulness – High
- Grooming Needs – High
- Tendency To Drool – No
- To Snore – No
Bark – Yes
Dig – Low
- Social/Attention Needs – High
1. Puppy proofing your home is the most important of all Maltipoo care tips
Most owners believe that with time their Maltipoo dog will not swallow anything dangerous. Some of the items doctors claim to have been swallowed by a dog include
- Fish hooks
- Candy wrappers
- Mini headphones
- Sewing needles
- Dress buttons
- Rubber ducks
How to prevent your Maltipoo from swallowing things?
- Check the yard. Hornets, wasps, and bees nests are dangerous for your Maltipoo dog.
- Use child-proof locks to prevent your dog from opening the kitchen or other cabinets.
- Cord concealers are handy to prevent electrocution.
- Clean the entire house thoroughly.
2. Health Care Information
Without waiting for your dog to become really sick, you should follow proper health care maintenance tips. These include-
- Never fix an appointment unless and otherwise, you are unsure of your availability. Your dog needs you more than anything else.
- Save at least $1 USD a day and at the end of a year, you will have reasonable money to care for his medical support.
- Seek good pet insurance
- Stop postponing any health issue.
3. Brush your Maltipoo dog’s teeth
- Contact your vet. At times, vets will do a “full dental” checkup.
- Three-sided brushes are fine with most dogs.
- Brushing your Maltipoo’s teeth on a daily basis can reduce the number of health problems.
4. Exercise keeps your Maltipoo healthy
Regular exercise can provide these benefits-
- Makes a dog socialized and he will not react to jumping or barking unnecessarily.
- Improves your dog’s emotional and mental happiness. Restlessness, chewing, and barking behavior gradually reduces and exercise prevents boredom.
- Prevents a range of disease
- Ideal for the heart
- Supports tissues and strengthens ligaments
- Maintain muscles
- Builds Bones
How to keep your Maltipoo healthy?
- Allocate 20 minutes a day for your dog. This will make both you and your dog healthy in the long run.
- Expose your dog to all sorts of neighborhood trigger. The more the exposure, the less problematic it will be for your dog.
- Maltipoo heel will eventually reduce negative behavior including barking.
- Never smoke around your baby dog
5. An exclusive dog seat
- Buying a second-hand car seat for your Maltipoo can be a bad idea if the main parts are missing.
- Choose a seat that is both durable and strong. Try a mesh seat if your Maltipoo loves looking around.
- Ensure that the buckle is in place.
Rough grooming guide
- Brushing weekly
- Trimming/Clipping Every 2 months
- Clean Ears Every two to four weeks
- Brush Teeth weekly twice
- Nail trimming Weekly
- Tear Stain Cleaning – when required
- Give a good bathing when required
There is definitely scope for improvement on a day to day basis. Take your time and do your own research before buying anything online.