Can Dogs Eat Pineapple? Yes, in moderation. Pineapples can be a good healthy treat, like watermelon and strawberries. Dogs enjoy pineapple as an occasional treat but in a moderate amount.
Health Benefits Of Pineapple
Pineapple contains full of vitamins and minerals. So, it will be the best choice for your dogs but in small quantity. It is also rich in fiber and contains a quite high amount of natural sugar.
It’s better to feed only the flesh of pineapple for your dog’s safety. A small amount of raw pineapple will be the best snack for your dogs in summer.
Pineapples contain vital nutrients such as:
Raw, ripe pineapples also contain:
- Vitamin B6, C
Can Dogs Eat Canned Pineapple?
Canned pineapples contain sugar-rich syrup, which will affect the dog’s digestive system. There is one way to mitigate that is to rinse the pineapple in running water that will get rid of sugar.
Canned pineapples are convenient to eat and pre-sliced. Still, don’t choose it for your dogs at all. Always choose fresh pineapple to feed your dog.
Bromelain is beneficial
Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapple stem and also in juice. It can help your dogs to fight against certain disease like inflammatory related illness.
Can Dogs Eat Pineapple Skin?
No, it is not advisable to feed the pineapple along with the skin to your dog. Pineapple skin has no benefits and due to its hardness, it is difficult for the dog to chew it.
This may affect the dog’s teeth. Also, chemical pesticides if any on the pineapple skin may be a threat to your dog’s health. Like pineapple skin, you should not feed the pineapple leaves as well. These leaves may be toxic to dogs.
Can Dogs Have Pineapple Juice?
Pineapple juices are not recommended for dogs because it is very concentrated. So, avoid smoothies, syrup, frappes and also other delicious pineapple drinks.
How To Serve Pineapple To Dogs?
Avoid feeding them with canned pineapple, but raw pineapple is good for dogs. Frozen pineapple pieces can be the best summer treat. A few sliced pieces of pineapple are enough for your dog. At the same time don’t overindulge. Have a look at the other ways you can serve pineapple to your dogs:
- You can add a small amount of pineapple to the food you prepare at the night time for your dog.
- You can also add a bit of pineapple to cookies and serve your dog.
- You can grill a few slices of pineapple and then serve your dog. But, make sure that the grilled one is cool before you serve.
Will Pineapple Stop Dogs From Eating Poop?
Yes. An organic way to prevent the dogs from eating poop is feeding fresh pineapple. It makes the dogs less interested in the taste and smell of their feces. So, the dogs won’t eat the poop after having pineapple.
As pineapple has vitamins and minerals, it helps the dogs to get enough nutrients. Thus, dogs won’t feel to eat the feces to replace the missing nutrients.
But, people found that their dogs still eat the poop after they feed pineapple. Hence, please consult your vet if coprophagia persists in your dog.
Risks Of Feeding Pineapples To Your Dog
- Pineapple contains large quantities of natural sugar and fiber. This can lead to digestion problems in your dog.
- After feeding, if you happen to notice any signs of diarrhea or stomach upset, then stop feeding him pineapples.
- Remove the prickly skin and the core since they have the ability to cause obstruction.
- As pineapple is fiber-rich, too much feeding may lead to constipation.
- Sugar in Pineapple may cause tooth decay, obesity, and diabetes in dogs.