Yes, it is good for dogs and perfectly safe with some precautions. As it is rich in vitamins, it helps in hydration during hot days.
Everyone adores this green and red nutritious pompous fruit. Is it harmless as other safe fruits and vegetables?
Take this essential dog fruit quiz right now and see whether you are on the same page with the experts on the benefits and side effects of this fruit in your canine friend.
1. Watermelons contain ____ percentage of water content
According to the watermelon.org, this fruit contains 92% water along with other nutrients such as potassium, vitamins C, B6, and A.
Is watermelon safe For Dogs? - Infographics And Video
Nutrients And Vitamins
It’s time to know the health benefits before feeding your dog watermelon.
- Water – Filled with 92 percent water, the watermelon is a great food for hydration.
- Vitamin C – This vitamin improves the immune system, manages the body while repairing tissues. They can also prevent free radicals.
- Vitamin A – They help manage the body’s membranes and tissues and enhances good vision.
- Magnesium – Magnesium prevents health complications like stroke, heart attack, and sudden cardiac arrest in dogs.
- Potassium – Potassium regulates blood pressure and manages muscle function effectively.
- Vitamin B6 – This vitamin also promotes the dog’s vision, and help manage the body’s membranes and tissues.
Health Benefits Of Watermelon
Generally, there are few benefits of feeding watermelon to your canine friend, include:
- In summer and on hot days, this will increase hydration in dogs, due to the presence of 92% of water.
- As it is rich in vitamin C and vitamin A, which helps to boost the dog’s immune system.
- It is used to lower blood pressure and to improve heart health.
- This fruit is best for the young pooch to grow strong and big.
- Antioxidants in this fruit will also strengthen the immune system.
- It prevents your pet from diabetes mellitus, diarrhea and constipation.
Can Your Dog Eat Watermelon Seeds?
Feeding watermelon seeds for your favorite pet is not a good idea.
Seeds and rind may cause health issues in dogs like intestinal blockage and gastrointestinal upset. So, always try to remove seeds and rinds before giving it to your pet.
Go with seedless one and it is safe for your dog.
Is Watermelon Rind Good For Dogs?
The fruit itself remains a healthy-food alternative, packed with nutrients, and low in calories. In fact, the fruit contains no cholesterol and fat. One of the main issues with watermelon rinds is that some dogs will find it difficult to consume and it can cause intestinal blockage.
Moreover, in the case of small dogs, the rind, as well as the seeds, can cause health issues. Therefore, check with your vet if you find your dog suffering from these problems after consuming the rind
- Abdominal pain
- Passing stools
- Acting lethargic
Overall, all these symptoms indicate dog intestinal blockage.
Watermelon is a good food for dogs, but feeding too much may lead your canines in health issues include:
- Increase urination due to 91% water present in the fruit.
- Too much-serving cause diarrhea.
- Dog Bloat- If you find your pet suffering from dog bloat, it shows your dog is having an expansive stomach. The expansion could be due to fluids, gas, or food filling every inch of their stomach.
The symptoms of dog bloat include breathing issues, a puncture in the stomach, and lack of blood to the heart.
Can Dogs Eat Seedless Watermelon?
Before feeding watermelon, scoop the flesh and remove seeds including white seeds and then serve the flesh to your canine friend. He will love the flesh. But the rind is thick and it is hard for your puppies to chew, so avoid it. Mostly, provide him fresh juice as he enjoys as a treat.
Tasty Home Made Watermelon Recipe For Dogs
Frosty watermelon recipe:
- 2 cup of pureed watermelon
- 1 cup of coconut water
- 1 tsp honey
- Scoop and remove seeds. Add it in the blender and blend it until smooth.
- Add coconut water and honey and blend it.
- Pour the mixture into ice cubes and cover with plastic wrap.
- Freeze overnight.
- Remove treat from mold.
- Give your dog this delicious treat.
1. Is It Really Safe For Dogs To Eat Watermelon?
Yes, dogs can eat watermelon safely. The rinds and seeds are unsafe for dogs. Remove the same and cut the fruit into small chunks and feed your dog.
2. Can Dogs Eat Cantaloupe And Watermelon?
Yes, cantaloupes like watermelons are safe for dogs. Cantaloupes are an excellent substitute for traditional treats. Overweight dogs are fed with cantaloupes for weight management.
3. Is Cantaloupe Healthy for Dogs?
- Cantaloupes contain a rich source of potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, niacin, vitamin B6, and dietary fibre.
- They are very high in water and low in calories and makes for an ideal summer treat.
- Vitamin C and A act as powerful antioxidants in preventing diseases.
- The high fibre and water content in cantaloupes prevent dehydration and constipation. It also encourages healthy digestion.
Dangers of feeding Cantaloupe
- Both watermelon rinds and cantaloupe rinds can lead to gastrointestinal upset. These hard skins are also a deadly choking hazard.
- Cantaloupes are best when served in moderation. This fruits contain high sugar content and will be unsuitable for dogs suffering from diabetic.
- Eating too many cantaloupes may cause canine obesity.
4. Can Bulldog Eat Watermelon?
Yes, bulldogs can eat this wonderful fruit. Remove the seeds and the rinds before feeding it to your bulldog. This fruit contains various nutrients and vitamins such as vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium etc. for a healthy living.
5. Can French Bulldogs Eat Watermelon?
Remove the seed and the rind before feeding your French bulldog with the delicious fruit pieces.
6. Can A Dog Eat Watermelon Peel?
No, dogs can nibble a bit but they should avoid eating the green skin because it can cause indigestion.
7. Is Watermelon Skin Safe For Dogs To Eat?
No, if your dog has somehow consumed the skin, he’s not in any danger as such. It’s impossible for your dog to chew the skin thoroughly before swallowing.
Bear in mind, large portions can cause severe gastrointestinal upset or blockage.
8. Can Puppies Eat Watermelon?
Yes, it consists of a lot of nutrients and vitamins that are highly recommended for your puppies health.
The rinds and seeds can cause some serious stomach problems. Take out the seeds first and then feed it to your puppy.