Find Top Rated Breeders In Your Area
English Springer Spaniel Infographic
English Springer Spaniel History
English Springer Spaniels first arrived on the scene centuries ago to help upland game birds. However, even before the birth of firearm (wheel-lock model), these dogs worked untiringly with hunters. But, after the invention, this dog came to be known as trustworthy hunt dogs.
Furthermore, this dog performs well in activities such as spring or flush, bramble or grass, and also in point and retrieve activities. Not to mention, English Springer Spaniels earned the reputation as the best and stylish gundog in the 1920s in Canada and America.
In conclusion, the breeds’ sharp nose, durability, and trainability have won many accolades in K-9 work.
English Springer Spaniel Facts
English Springer Spaniel Appearance
They are medium-sized hunting dogs with an amazing docked tail and compact structure. Normally, English Springer Spaniels have a long coat moderate in size, with featherings on brisket, chest, ears, and legs.
The traits of the Spaniel clan is visible openly in this breed- friendly wagging tail, strong built, soft gentle character and long pendulous ears.
In general, a well-proportioned dog free from undue exaggeration. Moreover, his legs appear muscular and sturdy, and this dog contains an upstanding carriage.
To summarize, this dog reflects agility, endurance, and power. English Springer Spaniels looks every bit like a dog built to sustain tough hunting conditions.
English Springer Spaniel Coat and Color
This dog consists of both, an undercoat and an outer coat. The undercoat appears thick, soft, and short while the outer coat looks wavy with the medium size.
In other words, both these coats make this dog thornproof, weatherproof and waterproof. The ears, belly, legs, and chest have light featherings.
However, the hair appears fine and short on hind legs, near forelegs, and also on the head. Moreover, the coat appears live, glossy and appears very robust and healthy.
Colour – They are predominantly available in-
- Tricolour: Normally found on cheeks, eyebrows, and under the tail and inside the ears.
- Liver roan or Blue
- Liver or black markings with a white colour
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
English Springer Spaniel Grooming
Weekly brushing can remove loose hair and dirt and will keep the dog’s coat free of locks, shining and healthy. Also, remove tangles with a metal dog comb or with a brush. Moreover, some dogs may require professional neatening and clipping.
Finally, like other dog breeds, trimming the nails regularly will avoid problems while running and walking.
English Springer Spaniel Size and Lifespan
The males English Springer Spaniel will weigh around 19 kgs – 24 kgs and females -18 kgs to 22 kgs respectively. While males reach between 48 cms to 55 cms in height and females reach between 45 cms to 50 cms.
Therefore, a Springer Spaniel with the right attitude looks sturdy and well-knit with excellent bone but never coarse.
The average age of an English Springer Spaniel is between 12 – 14 years of age.
English Springer Spaniel Temperament
- The average English Springer Spaniel is very eager to obey, swift to learn, and friendly. Some of them suffer from separation anxiety due to poor breeding.
- In the show zone, these dogs display attentiveness and poise.
- English Springer puppies are generally playful and curious, ready to mingle with people.
- Before choosing a puppy, it is imperative to visit at least one of their parents to gauge their background.
- Springers like other dogs require early socialization and puppy training classes. Moreover, they can suddenly become timid and calm if left uncared for.
- Also, they are excellent with fellow animals and kids.
Health Problem of English Springer Spaniel
Some of the common health issues that can affect your Springer Spaniel are:
This enzyme turns sugar into energy; Springers are susceptible to this enzyme deficiency. However, PFK varies from one dog to another and it includes fever, muscle trouble, and hyperventilation etc.
Blood tests will help the doctor decide upon the future course of action.
The main cause is attributed to phosphofructokinase enzyme deficiency.
Symptoms of PFK
The signs vary from one case to another and the most important symptoms include-
- Intolerance towards exercise
- Muscle cramping and wasting
- Pale mucous membrane
- Hematuria, the condition where blood mixes with urine.
- Normal weakness or lethargic behavior
- Depression or fever
Treatment for PFK in dogs
After conducting a series of test, your vet will determine the exact treatment. They will in all probability, stabilize and rehydrate to start with.
Also, this includes blood transfusions or administering fluid therapy. Finally, the best-known treatment for PFK includes bone marrow transplantation which is mostly quite expensive.
This treatment needs a healthy and voluntary donor.
Because of their long ears, they are more prone to ear problems. Also, the ear shape supports the growth of infection. Keep in mind, weekly cleaning of ears is advised for this breed. Medication includes treating the dog with ‘mometamax’ drug.
Causes of ear infections
Ear infections are mainly due to yeast or bacteria formation. In addition, hypothyroidism, allergies, foreign substances, wax, or excessive hair can also cause severe ear infections.
Symptoms of ear infections
The most popular symptoms
- Loss of hearing
- Walking or moving in circles
- Irregular eye movements
- Losing balance very often
- Head tilt or shake
- Loss of hair around ears
- Swelling, redness, or bad smell emanating from the ears
- Ear discharge in different colours ranging from red to yellow to brown.
Treatment for ear infections
Before starting the actual treatment, dirty or infectious ears are thoroughly checked with an otoscope by the vet.
Then, the treatment may include antifungal medications, antibiotics, or systemic corticosteroids. In addition, the first step involves reducing infectious micro-organisms which are causing trouble in the ears.
In cases such as hyperplasia, associated tissue mineralization, and inflammation, surgery is the best option.
The normal signs are occasional hair loss, pyoderma, itching, greasiness, and scaliness. These can be genetic and other factors that can cause them are common allergies.
Causes of Skin Disorders (Psoriasiform-Lichenoid Dermatosis)
Dogs that are suffering from this disorder exhibit signs like warts or bumps on their inner ear or abdomen.
To explain, psoriasiform appears similar to psoriasis and the condition called lichenoid affects the area between epidermis and dermis.
Springers are affected by this disorder when they are between 4 to 18 months.
Some of the causes include
- Long-term use of drug cyclosporine
- Possible staphylococcus infection
- Breeding dogs ancestry
Symptoms of Skin Disorders (Psoriasiform-Lichenoid Dermatosis)
If you notice your dog showing these signs, then fix an appointment with your vet as soon as possible.
- Scaling or peeling of the dog skin
- Greasy discharge
- Genital lesions
- Visible visions on or near ventral trunk area
- Pinnae lesions or aberrations
Treatment for Skin Disorders
There are several treatment options and your vet will suggest any one of these
- Medicated shampoos – Antiseborrheic shampoos can be suggested along with other skin medications for an effective treatment.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs – Drugs like corticoid, dapsone, glucocorticoids can help manage the lesions depending on the severity of the condition.
- Cephalexin drugs – This drug is known to stop flare-ups and can aid in healing the condition much faster.
Progressive Retinal Atrophy
The retina tends to get affected by this condition, thereby leading to blindness. Springers are normally tracked with PRA when they are between 2 to 6 years. There is no remedy for this disorder and the only way is to help the dog manage this disorder.
Causes of PRA
In this breed, PRA normally sets in late. But, PRA is normally considered as a genetic disorder.
Symptoms of PRA
To name a few, PRA symptoms include
- Finding it difficult to climb stairs
- Pawing while going down
- Stumbling over objects
- Greenish sheen
- Sluggish pupillary responses
- Nyctalopia or night blindness
Treatment for PRA
PRA does not have any known treatments but with suitable environmental changes, dogs can manage this disorder effectively.
Eyelid defects are caused due to various factors ranging from irritants, infection, and injury. These are mostly genetic diseases and known symptoms include eye itching, eyelid inflammation, cornea sores, and scar formation.
In this case, the dog’s eyelid moves inward causing practical difficulties.
Causes of Entropion
They are both, congenital or secondary entropion. Congenital entropion occurs usually before the dog reaches 1 year. On the contrary, congenital has a very strong genetic connection and happens due to ancestry patterns.
Acquired entropion is also possible due to skin laxity, muscle loss, obesity, infection, chronic inflammation, and eyelid trauma.
Symptoms of Entropion
A few of the common symptoms which dog owners may notice
- Self-trauma because of pain
- Corneal rupture
- Difficulty in opening the eyes
- Ocular discharge
- Excessive lacrimation
Treatment for Entropion
Some of the treatment options include trying topical lubrications or eye drops. But the first and best treatment for entropion is surgery.
Puppies diagnosed with congenital entropion, in most cases, will not be operated until they turn mature. For example, other treatment options are considered when other issues like conjunctivitis, ulcers, and corneal abrasions stand resolved.
A significant birth defect; but retina malformation normally affects a dog between 40 & 60 days after their birth. The dog’s functionality will not be affected because of this condition but affected Springer puppies are not recommended for breeding.
Causes of Retinal Dysplasia
The well-known causes are mostly inheritance in breeds in English Springer Spaniel, Doberman Pinscher, Beagle, and Bedlington Terrier etc. Other causes are physical injuries, infections, and dietary issues.
For instance, retinal dysplasia in this breed can develop as geographic lesions or retinal folds. Additionally, dogs with these type of lesions suffer from variable vision defect or in some cases, they are totally blind.
Symptoms of Retinal Dysplasia
Some of the signs of retinal dysplasia
- Behavioural changes
- Difficulty in reading things or objects
- Reluctance to climb stairs
- Bump into things due to vision loss
Treatment for Retinal Dysplasia
Due to the nature of this disease, there are cures that can save your dog from this condition. Why? This condition is not visible in the early years and when it’s diagnosed the condition is usually in the advanced stage.
In most cases, dogs adjust their lifestyle suitably to handle this condition. However, for the safety of your dog, you should close all areas that can cause danger such as swimming pool etc.
Hip dysplasia is a genetic medical orthopedic condition wherein the thighbone refuses to fit properly into a hip joint. Before buying a puppy, it is paramount to confirm with the breeder whether the puppy has been certified to be free from this condition.
If you happen to notice ticks, mostly, it might be in their chest area, forehead, and their charming face. Do not hesitate to invest in a tick remover. Never use silly methods like burning the tick for tick bite fever.
English Springer Spaniel Food
The daily advised feeding measurement stands at – 1 ½ bowls to 2 bowls of best quality dry dog food, normally served in two sessions. Springer puppies can consume around 3-4 bowls per day.
Feed this breed with food suitable for their work and age. Also, you can feed your dogs with treats and feed them daily can increase the risk of obesity in dogs.
Remember, avoid foods containing high-fat substance and particularly cooked bones are definitely a no.
English Springer Spaniel Training
In fact, puppy training classes and early socialization enables the Springer to grow into a well-behaved, well-adjusted partner. Besides, Springers are smart and lively dogs and they perform better with gentle training and continued guidance.
Also, the dog’s owner must fully understand the requirements of this dog and always try to stay in control. Finally, all Springers are family dogs and love to spend time with his adopted family.
If left alone for a considerable time, these dogs can show signs of separation anxiety.
Of course, these dogs love outdoor activities. With regular exercise, Springers can live in an apartment or small house but a large home with plenty of space is recommended.
Bear in mind, regular exercise will definitely keep this breed happy and healthy. This includes play sessions and long walks.
Overall, English Springer Spaniels love rally, agility, tracking, and obedience activities.
What Are Girl Dog Names For Springer Spaniels?
English Springer Spaniel Interesting Facts
- Known for their endurance, playfulness, and affection, Springers are valued for their rear-drive ability, intelligence, stamina, and energy.
- Springer puppies are playful and curious but without regular exercise, they can turn wild and naughty.
- Their large size enables them to take part in retrieving and flushing game.
- As a matter of fact, spaniels were further divided into two groups, Springers and cockers although they were from the same old group.
- English springer spaniel arrived in America in the early 17th century and from then on they have made America their dream home.
- Former American President owns an English Springer Spaniel called as ‘Spot’.
- In the year 1902, the English Kennel Club identified this breed as a different one from English Cockers.
- The first America Springer Spaniel club came into existence in 1881 in America.
- Orange, red and lemon colours are not regarded as standard and the accepted colours include tricolour, liver or blue roan, or liver or black with a white background.
- Of the two varieties of English Springer, the field type is normally used in hunting. And they have docked tail and lightly shaded coat.
The other type is called as bench type which has more feathering with thick, long coat.
In the 13th century, Scottish commander owned a Springer Spaniel called as Merlin.
With Fellow Animals and Pets
English Springer Spaniels work well with kids if they are trained from an early age. But, mature Springer’s can do better with adult kids who know how to behave with them appropriately.
Therefore, it’s imperative on the part of owners to educate children on how to touch and approach dogs in a friendly manner.
English Springer Spaniel Breeders / Adoption Centers
- AKC Headquarters
260 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10016
- AKC Operations Center
8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27617-3390
- Northgate English Springer Spaniels
Broad Run, VA 20137
- English Springer Rescue Services
1025 Rose Creek Drive, Suite 620-305
Woodstock, GA 30189
English Springer Spaniel looks and behaves adorably cute. In addition, they have long and distinct ears that are very attractive. By all means, English Springer Spaniels are full of brains, strength, great energy, and sweet-looking.
Overall, all sports hunters love the roles of this breed- loyal hunting companions on weekends and mannerly during the week.
Always versatile and athletic, these dogs are handy during camping or hunting expeditions. The English Springer Spaniel is an ideal competitor to take part in obedience trials, tracking, hunt tests, and agility related activities.