Can Dogs Eat Beans? Yes, they can eat beans as it has a lot of benefits. Dogs enjoy all tasty beans and they are rich in plant-based protein source.
Can Dogs Eat Beans? - Video And Infographic
Health Benefits Of Beans
Below are few of the health benefits of beans:
- Contain B-vitamins, potassium, magnesium, and iron
- Rich in protein, antioxidants, and fiber
- Helps to regulate blood sugar
But only a few beans are healthy for dogs.
Healthy Beans For Dogs
The types of beans that you can give dogs include:
- Green beans or string beans
- Kidney beans
- Lima beans or butter beans
- Black beans
- Pinto bean
1. Can dogs eat kidney beans?
Yes, antioxidants in kidney beans help to keep track of cholesterol levels and prevent diseases. But, cooked kidney beans are preferable.
2. Lima Beans For Dogs
Lima beans or butter beans are an excellent source of plant-protein, fat-free to improve your dog’s diet.
- Rich in fiber
- Keeps blood sugar under control
- Very useful for diabetic dogs
How To Serve Lima Beans To Your Dog?
Canned lima beans are unhealthy for dogs because they contain preservatives harmful to your dog’s health.
Buy dried lima beans, and then soak them overnight. Cook them in the morning and serve without any preservatives or seasonings. Your dog will eat lima beans with pleasure.
Homemade foods are always safe for dogs. You can give cooked lentils also as they are filled with vitamins and minerals.
3. Can My Dog Eat Pinto Beans?
Yes, dogs can eat pinto beans. They have cholesterol-lowering fiber and plant-based protein helpful for proper digestion.
They are also a rich source of potassium magnesium and other important nutrients. In fact, pinto beans are the world’s healthiest beans.
4. Can Dogs Eat Chickpeas?
Yes, they eat chickpeas. The benefits of Garbonzo beans or chickpeas are:
- Rich in protein, potassium, magnesium, and folate
- Helps for the cell recovery and good health
- Helps to regulate blood sugar
- Good for eyes
- Strengthens the immune system
- Helps in digestion
5. Can My Dog Eat Black Beans?
Yes, they can have black beans as they contain vitamin C, vitamin K, protein, fiber, and manganese. Black beans also help to regulate blood sugar and strengthen the immune system.
You can give black beans to your dog as a treat(a small amount). You can also mix beans with rice, vegetables, and meat. Raw or canned beans or cooked beans with spices should be avoided.
Beans That Should Be Avoided
- Baked beans
- Canned beans
- Refried beans
- Broad beans or fava beans
The Must Avoidable Bean to Your Dog:
You should definitely avoid feeding raw red kidney beans to dogs as it has a toxin called phytohemagglutinin which is harmful to dogs.
Tips To Feed Beans To Dogs Safely
- Feed beans to your dog in moderate amount, so it may not lead to gas issues and constipation.
- If you decide to include beans in your dog’s diet, make sure you should not feed canned or raw beans.
- Raw beans are difficult for the dog to digest and it may contain a toxin which is neutralized during cooking. You can serve only green beans as raw.
- Canned beans are rich in preservative and sodium which are too taxing on dogs.
- Soak the dried beans overnight, wash them the next day morning and then cook without seasonings.
- Ensure that you are not feeding baked beans, coffee beans (caffeine is toxic) or raw red kidney beans to your dogs.
Crockpot Dog Food Recipe
- 2 ½ pounds of ground beef
- 15 ounce of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Brown rice – 1 ½ cup
- Chopped carrots – 1 ½ cup
- Frozen peas – 1 ½ cup
- Chopped butternuts – 1 ½ cup
- Stir all the ingredients and add 4 cups of water in a cooker.
- Cover and cook at low flame for 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir and leave it to cool.
- Now it is ready to serve.
- Serve this yummy dish to your dog and surprise it for occasions.
Try to feed cooked beans mostly by mixing with regular dog food. So, you need to remember that canned beans contain preservative chemicals and sodium which can harm the dog’s digestive tract.
Can I Feed My Dog Chili Beans?
No, because chili beans may cause problems in dog’s stomach and may cause gastro problems.
Can Dogs Eat Baked Beans?
No, dogs can suffer from health issues. In fact, baked beans are very high in sugar and fat, and they pose even a big risk to diabetic dogs. Baked beans are also known to contain ketchup (tomatoes), and mostly tomatoes are not considered as healthy treats.
Moreover, if your dog consumes baked beans suddenly, he may or may not exhibit any symptoms immediately.
In all, giving your dog baked beans can cause red blood cell damage or pancreatitis. So, contact your vet if your dog shows any reaction.
Signs of baked beans poisoning
- Lethargic movements
- Frequent fever
- Loss of appetite
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or stomach upset
Can Dogs Eat Cooked Kidney Beans?
Yes, dogs can eat kidney beans in moderation. Also, kidney beans also consist of antioxidants that help manage healthy cholesterol levels. Raw kidney beans are unsafe for dogs since they contain a toxin dangerous to dogs.
Why Broad Beans Aren't Suitable For Dogs?
As broad beans, also called fava beans, have the toxic compound phytohemagglutinin (PHA), you should not feed them to dogs. Besides, it is quite difficult to cook the broad beans due to its large size and the tough skin.
If your dog eats the broad beans, it vomits and expels them. But, call your vet in case of excessive vomiting.
Why Shouldn't I Give My Dog Canned Beans?
It is not advisable to feed the canned beans to dogs as they are not the healthy choice.
Canned beans contain sodium and some preservatives, which can be harmful to the dog’s digestive system. Thus, you can soak and cook the dried beans in a proper manner and give it your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Refried Beans?
No, you should not feed the refried beans to your dog for various reasons:
Refried beans come in cans. As you have to avoid canned beans due to the unhealthy preservatives added to it, you should avoid them.
Refried beans may contain canola oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt. So it may cause roughness in the dog’s stomach.
So, if your pet ate a can of refried beans, have an eye on her and check for signs of stomach pain. Call your vet if your dog does not recover from stomach upset for some hours.
How To Serve Kidney Beans To Dogs?
Dogs love cooked kidney beans and not readymade beans from the can. You can buy the beans and soak them overnight. Then, in the morning, you cook them without adding any salt or seasoning.
As a snack in-between meals mixed and served with a protein food, vegetable, or grain.