A supreme crossbreed of a pure Yorkshire Terrier and a pure Maltese, Morkies come under small designer dog breeds. Morkie puppy has an affiliation with the toy breed category like its parents. Originally, Morkies were bred as lapdogs in America.
Are you eager to spend a few minutes and learn about Morkie puppies?
First, test your understanding by taking the “Must-Know” quiz and then at the end, read the article thoroughly without fail.
Put on your memory cap and blaze through the quiz with ease.
1. Morkies were also called-
The Morkies are known by various names, including Yorktese, Yorkiemalt, and Maltiyork. The Morkie is an excellent hybrid between a Maltese and Yorkshire Terrier.
There is a prevalent opinion amongst field professionals that mixed breeds can live a longer life. The parents of Morkie puppies, the Yorkshire Terrier breed and Maltese breed dogs generally live until 16 years.
Hence, according to breeders of Morkie puppies, the average lifespan of a Morkie is between 10 and 16 years. This is applicable to dogs that are in good health.
On an average, male morkie puppies weigh 1.8 kg to 6.8 kg. Correspondingly, the female puppy weighs between 1.8 kg to 5.4 kg. When it comes to the height of a morkie puppy, both males and females can grow between 15 cm to 23 cm. Some dogs might even reach up to 30 cm in height.
Interesting Facts On Morkie Puppies
- Morkie puppies remain as an unrecognized dog breed by certifying organizations such as the American Kennel Club.
- Morkie puppies are a hybrid variety developed in America as a lap dog.
- They are highly suitable for apartment-style houses because they display that comfortable feeling.
- The Morkie puppies feel only comfortable only in moving with adult members in the house.
Morkie Puppy Care
Basic steps to follow while you take care of your Morkie Puppy are:
- Brush your morkie on a daily or once in two days.
- It is imperative for a dog owner to bathe his pet at least once in a fortnight. The reason for such a recommendation is to ensure that the dog is free of itching problems and skin diseases. You can apply gentle pet-friendly shampoos and you must dry the pet thoroughly after a bath.
- Trimming of hair around the coat and eyes of the dog is mandatory. Apart from brushing the hair, cleaning and trimming of its nails are vital
- You can give some exercises for the dog by using a toy or ball. Dogs generally do not need bigger space for exercising. Taking the dogs for a daily walk can help it feel comfortable and gives it the opportunity for socialization training.
- Owners/trainers can observe the ears, eyes and paws of their dog regularly for the presence of infections if any.
- You should infuse a normal consumption pattern in your dog to assure that it stays healthy. The instructions given on the dog food pack, sold at the respective dog food stores must be properly followed.
- Most importantly, the dog owner/trainer must take the dog for regular checkups at least bi-annually. The professional caring will have a say in the health of a dog. For example, checking tooth gum infections in your dog.
In the USA, you can get Morkie puppies in a price range of $500 to $2000. However, this differs in various parameters.
A premium sale price of morkie puppies fixed by reputed breeders is due to the dog’s lineage, overall health and nature of the breed. The price range of premium-priced morkies can be over $2000 and go until $10,000 or more.
In the UK, the sale price of morkie puppies ranges from a simple £150 to £2,000 or even higher. Many factors determine a morkie’s sale price like nature of breed, breeder and overall health of the breed.
Morkie is a low shedding breed, which adds advantage to their breeds. Monthly bath, routine brushing, and short haircut are recommended for healthy skin and coat.
Morkie Puppy Names
|MALE DOGS||FEMALE DOGS|
Morkie Health Problems
Majorly, Morkie puppies suffer from:
1. Patellar Luxation
The symptoms of patellar Luxation depends on the level of the disease, mild or moderate to severe. The notable symptoms for a dog owner are the changes in its walking and running styles.
While running, it may feel a pain in its rear leg which could induce it to shout for some time. After a while, it might slow recovery. The usual causes of patellar luxation are genetic disorders leading to a knee deformity and injury in the joint/s.
Normally, a deep grove protects the kneecap where it prevents the pop-out of the patella. However, the patella could move out of the groove when the groove is not deeper. The other reason might be due to some injury sustained in the joint.
The result of a patella pop out from the groove makes the leg to get locked. The mentioned complication can be cured only if the kneecap is restored to its actual position.
Treatment for patellar luxation is determined based on the severity of the disease. Veterinarians closely observe the stage of the disease and they allocate grades to decide about the nature of treatment.
Grade 1 – During this stage, generally vets only recommend medications for a reasonable amount of relief from inflammation and pain. In addition, ensuring the production and flow of joint fluids and cartilage heal are the focus areas. Most importantly, the owners/trainers must closely monitor their dog.
Grade 2 – Surgical intervention might be called for by a veterinarian who examines the Morkie with patella luxation. However, it cannot be definitely prescribed. The instructions given for Grade 1 can even be applied for this level.
Grade 3 – Surgical treatment is mandatory
Grade 4 – The same as stated for Grade 3
2. Eye problems
Morkie puppies are subject to facing eye problems like tear staining. Tear staining can itself be considered a symptom since there are no other symptoms.
Of course, there are some cases such as:
- Physical deformities
- Excess hair growth near the eyes
- Abnormal eyelashes
- Conjunctivitis causing excessive tearing or irritation of the eyes
- Blocked tear ducts
- Allergies that can happen due to the intake of certain foods
- Ear infections
Tear stains can be tried out by the owners at home by using some home-based treatment
- Clean the stain by soaking a cotton ball in the sterile saline solution and apply it, wherever required
- Trimming the fur around the eyes of your dog to alleviate irritation
- Mixing a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar to the water used by your dog
When dog owners find that their Morkies are yet to recover, visiting a veterinarian can give some good results. The vet could mostly apply eyedrops or rub some ointment on your pet dog.
3. Liver problems
Morkie puppies inherit diseases faced commonly by its parents, the pure breed Yorkshire Terrier dog and Maltese dog. A liver shunt is one of the commonest diseases that Morkie puppies face.
Dogs with liver shunts could display stunted growth. Some general symptoms like gastrointestinal upset, diarrhoea and vomiting, occur.
- Weight Loss
- Frequent urination
- Blood in the urine
- Strain during urination
- Inordinate staring
- Circling or pacing
- The number of proteins, nutrients, and toxins that flows via the lever and then into the system
- Non-flow of blood into the liver from the abdominal organs where the blood directly enters the systemic circulation
- Kidney and bladder infection and formation of stones in the stated parts
Veterinarians usually go for surgery method to treat liver shunts in dogs.
Firstly, your Morkie puppy needs to be brought to a stable condition prior to surgery. The point is emphasized because anaesthesia usage could be risky for a dog that is suffering from the liver shunt.
Secondly, the affected Morkie puppy will be administered IV fluid therapy by the vet to balance the electrolyte levels. The procedure is important for resurrecting its normal hydration.
Thirdly, ammonia levels will be alleviated and lactulose could be administered for lowering the toxins in the intestine. Some antibiotics could also be utilized to decrease overgrowth of bacteria and the level of ammonia.
Vets might prescribe medications for those dogs with symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea. Generally, vet doctors recommend a rich protein diet for the affected dog.
Vets may recommend surgery in extreme cases.
The surgery involves narrowing of the shunt or a comprehensive tie-off for enabling free blood flow through the liver. One must notify that all dogs need not undergo surgery but only some determinants, for example like the place of shunt necessitate.
Most often, veterinary doctors treat dogs affected by liver shunt disease only by giving some dietary specifications and medications.
The symptoms of dogs suffering from hypoglycemia are normally:
- Slow response time
- Loss of appetite
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Partial paralysis of hind legs
- Abnormal growth of pancreatic cells
- Excessive exercising
- Reduced intake of glucose due to malnutrition
- Inflammation of the liver
- Cancer in the liver
- Insulin overdosage
- Toxicity from ingestion of artificial sweeteners
Treatment is given to dogs with Hypoglycemia after consideration of the stage and cause of the disease.
Firstly, raising its blood sugar levels is undertaken. Suppose the symptoms tend to aggravate, therapy is undertaken on the affected dog with the injection of intravenous fluids bearing concentrated dextrose.
Reassessment of the dog’s blood sugar levels will be the next step. The prime concentration of the above treatment is to notify the root cause of the disease.
Secondly, if the dog suffers hypoglycemia due to excessive exercise or fasting, you should immediately take him to a vet. The vets will monitor the dog closely for a certain number of hours.
After analysis, they usually send the affected dog home with certain discharge instructions to its owner.
In extreme conditions like cancer or a tumour that cause hypoglycemia in a dog, then it would call for surgery. However, for conditions like inflammation, toxicity and endocrine orders, medication and supportive treatment are adopted.
5. Collapsed Trachea
Morkie puppies that suffer collapsed trachea show symptoms through:
- Honking coughs
- Bluish gums
- Avoidance of exercises
- Breathing Difficulty
Collapsed trachea is may occur mostly because of a hereditary factor and it is a congenital disease. The tracheal rings get weakened in such affected dogs due to the presence of defective cells in its body.
Veterinarians normally prescribe surgery for dogs with a collapsed trachea.
Hence, like said before, veterinarians follow the required course of treatment after complete examination of the dog.
Morkie is one of the hypoallergenic dogs, but they don’t shed more. It is a good news for peoples who are prone to allergies people prone to mild allergy can able to tolerate Morkie, but others may have severe allergic reactions.
Morkie Puppies Breeders in the USA
- Puppy Heaven
Address: 30317 Canwood St, Suite 39
Agoura Hills CA 91301
Phone: (818) 757-7473
Fax: (818) 474-7252
E-mail Id: Puppies@PuppyHeaven.com
- Great Lakes Pups
Address: 360 E Maple Road
Troy, Michigan, 48083
- Central Park Puppies
Address: 650 Central Park Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10704
Morkie Puppies Breeders in the UK
- Kellys Kennels
Address: Lady Lane Croft
Warrington Cheshire WA3 7AY
The United Kingdom
Tel. Nos: +07807047619 or +01925764222
- Castellan House Kennels
Address: Castellan House
Blaenffos, Boncath SA37 0HZ, UK
Tel. No: +44 1239 841644
E-mail Id: firstname.lastname@example.org