- Calico Cats Infographics
- Calico Cat Genetics
- Calico Cat Facts
- Calico Cat Personality
- Why Are Male Calico Cats Rare?
- Calico Cats Symbolism
- Calico Cat Grooming
- Calico Cat Shedding
- Calico Cat Breeds
- Calico Cat Types
- Calico Cat Care
- Calico Cat Interesting Facts
- Calico Cat Names
- Calico Cat Price / Adoption Centers
Cat Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Calico Cats Infographics
Calico Cat Genetics
The calico cats are not a breed. The name “calico” refers to a tricolor pattern of coats. In calicos, the cats having the orange color mutant gene are seen. Usually, this pattern is called as tortoiseshell-and-white outside North America. These tortoise shell cats have white color patches on the chest, paws, and face.
Calico Cat Facts
- Native – Egypt
- Size – Small to medium-sized
- Weight – 7 – 9 pounds
- Coat – Brown, black, white or red patched coat
- Color – Orange, black and white
Calico Cat Life Span
The average lifespan of calico cats is between 15 – 16 years.
Calico Cat Personality
Where a calico cat is not a specific breed, their temperament varies. It has the endearing and sweet personality as intelligent, affectionate, warm-hearted and friendly with children. Some calico cats are credited for their bravery.
They saved their animal and human families from burning buildings.
Why Are Male Calico Cats Rare?
Mostly, calico cats are female and males are rare. Male cats have XY chromosome but females have XX chromosomes. Where the X chromosome is responsible for black and orange fur so, females may have both colors due to the XX chromosome.
Calico Cat Male
However, male cats have only one X chromosome, so they may have either black or orange. Only 1 out of 3000 calico cats are born male. For male cats, they should have three sex chromosomes, one Y chromosome and two X chromosomes.
This is Klinefelter Syndrome inhuman.
Calico Cats Symbolism
The rare calico cats are believed as lucky charms and they bring a bright future to their owners. Also, it is mentioned as money cats in the US due to their rarity of male calico cats. It is acknowledged as a little ball of luck.
In Japan, it is declared as a symbol of fortune and in Maryland, it is an official state cat.
Calico Cat Grooming
Usually, it is better to brush your cats at least 3 times a week during summer and spring and weekly once in winter and autumn. Main grooming areas in cats include ear cleaning, nail clipping, brushing, eye cleaning, and bathing.
Calico Cat Shedding
These cats shed high in summer. Consider sphinx, if your concern is shedding. Try to keep your cats indoors and brush them regularly. If the cats are inside all the times then the shedding level will be minimal.
Calico Cat Breeds
- Devon Rex
- Cornish Rex
- Exotic Shorthair
- American Shorthair
- Oriental Shorthair
- British Shorthair
- American Curl
- Japanese Bobtail
- Turkish Van
- Scottish Fold
Calico Cat Types
There are three types of calico cats,
- Standard calico – Usually, white coats with orange and black large spots.
- Dilute Calico – White coats with strawberry-blonde and smoky grey color large spots.
- Cabby – Is a mix of tabby and calico cat, which has the black and orange calico, patches and spotted markings or tabby striped.
Calico Cat Care
- Feed your cats with high-quality cat foods.
- Mostly, try to keep your cats indoors for safety and a healthy lifestyle.
- To control odor and easy cleaning use the good quality litter box.
- To avoid hairballs and to improve coat weekly grooming is recommended.
- Usually, it needs your attention for at least 10 minutes per day.
- Exercise and play regularly with your cats to maintain their muscle and body tone.
Calico Cat Interesting Facts
- In October 2001, the calico cat became an official cat of Maryland.
- A calico cat named pudge is one of the celebrity kitties with 670.8k followers.
- In the 19th century, children’s poems titled ‘The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat’.
- Maneki Neko, a popular Japanese statue is a Calico Bobtail.
- Calico cats originated from Egypt.
- In the early period, calico cats are used in boats by Japanese fishermen to protect during harsh storms.
- In Ancient Egyptian culture, calico cats were worshipped.
- Usually, rare male calico cats are born sterile.
Calico Cat Names
|Orange Calico Cat Names||Black Color Calico Cat Names||White Color Calico Cat Names|
Calico Cat Price / Adoption Centers
The average price of the calico cat range from $1000 to $2000.
- Blue Cross
Address: Shilton Road,
Burford, OXON. OX18 4PF
- Wood Green, The Animals Charity
Address: King’s Bush Farm,
- Hounslow Animal Welfare Society
Address: Boundary House,
Rare calico cats with traditional characteristics and attractable eye-catching colors make the coolest pretty cat. Mostly, calico cats are female but not all. Males are rare and lucky cats in England with a particular color pattern. A significant portion of the coat remains white in color with orange or black patches to make them unique.
Let’s learn more facts and detailed information about calico cats.