Find Top Rated Breeders In Your Area
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: United States
- Size: Small
- Dog Breed Group: Family dog/Hybrid dog/Designer dog/ American dog/Toy dog/ Small dog
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan:12-15 years
- Height: 6-12 inches
- Weight: 7-11 lbs
- Coat Appearance: Long, short
- Coat Colors: Tan, white, fawn, black, cream
- Temperament: Friendly, goofy, social, smart, active, energetic, affectionate, loyal,
- Good With Children: Better with supervision
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Low (Better with supervision)
- Hypoallergenic: Depends
- Grooming: Moderate-high
- Shedding: Moderate
- Suitable For Apartments: High
- Need For Exercise: Yes
- Easy To Train: Yes (early training and socialization recommended)
- Good For First Time Owners: Moderate, suitable for experienced dog owners
- Health Issues: Retinal dysplasia, Hemophilia, Patellar Luxation, Glaucoma, Mitral valve dysplasia, Shaker dog syndrome, Color dilution alopecia
- Litter Size: 3-7 puppies, average-5
- Average Price: $ 300– $ 1000 USD
Chihuahua Maltese Mix History
This designer dog breed is the latest creation. Like other popular hybrid dogs, these dogs were originally developed in America.
Let’s take a look at both the parent breeds.
The Maltese dog was well known as trade dogs in the Greek and Roman cultures. Originally bred in Malta, it became widely popular.
This little cutie won hearts in a jiffy and his calm, composed personality made him a favorite, particularly amongst the elite.
Maltese is a small dog with a very friendly, lively, and intelligent personality.
The Chihuahua represents an active, small dog with a circular skull. This dog’s devotion and small size have propelled this breed to become a spectacular companion dog.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Size And Lifespan
The average height and weight of a Malchi dog are between 6-12 inches and 7-11 lbs respectively. The Malchi dog has a life expectancy of 12-15 years.
Like most small designer dogs, the Chihuahua Maltese Mix is suitable for urban places like apartments and condos.
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Appearance And Coat Color
The Malchi combines the better of two companion dog breeds handsomely. This is a little, small lap dog with a big heart and a big bark.
Based on the domination of a particular dog breed, these dogs can have either short or long fur that comes in different colors.
They have brown eyes safely hidden fur that stretches over the forehead.
Some dogs have tall ears and mostly these hybrid dog breeds have folded long ears that come close to the Maltese.
They are short by nature and the bone structure is definitely a problem. Without proper care, these dogs are easily susceptible to injuries.
The most common coat color includes tan or white. This mix can either have a short or long fur. Irrespective of the coat length, this hybrid dog’s coat is silky, wavy and soft to maintain.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Temperament
When the temperament of the Maltese and Chihuahua combine together, what we get is a friendly, goofy, tender dog.
This designer dog breed carries both his parent’s personality quite well.
They carry a very spirited personality and these dogs do well in families without other pets or small children.
Known for their inconsistent barking habit, at times, the Malchi can exhibit the stubborn tendency of a Chihuahua.
Being wary of strangers, this dog displays a lot of enthusiasm and sass.
The Malchi dog can suffer from separation anxiety and will not be happy when left alone.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Care
These energetic, friendly dogs are always active. They need regular considerable playtime to stay mentally and physically fit.
They do not require large amounts of space to move about. If you have a big house, ensure that your Malchi does not stay outside unsupervised for a long time.
Small dogs like these are sitting baits for bigger predatory animals, which can easily kill or injure them.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Grooming And Shedding
The Malchi dog is predominantly high maintenance dog. If you have a cream-colored or a lighter tan dog, it is definitely a lot of hard work.
Frequent baths will reduce the amount of stain, especially around the mouth and eyes. Clean your dog’s ears after the bath.
With folded over the years, the percentage of moisture getting trapped inside is quite high. You can avoid nasty ear infections if you clean your dog’s ear thoroughly.
The Malchi dogs need brushing around at least thrice a week. You can use a comb and pin brush.
Shedding remains moderate and you need to remove the tangles if you have the long-haired dog of this breed.
Never forget to trim your dog’s nails to promote good paw health. It can also reduce the risk of scratching.
Is Chihuahua Maltese Mix Hypoallergenic?
The Maltese dogs are considered as a hypoallergenic dog with less quantity of shedding. The Chihuahua breed is not so, and the crossbreed can go any way.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Training
Training a dog like this requires perseverance and patience. The Chihuahua is a stubborn dog and if this gene dominates in yours, then training can be quite tricky.
Early socialization and training combined with positive reinforcements along with treats work really well.
This dog is a quick learner and smart but also displays a streak of adamant attitude. Keeping this in mind, these dogs will require an assertive trainer.
For the dog get over its negative behavior including aggressive behavior, biting, and barking towards other pets and dogs.
These dogs should also be taught to behave properly to prevent any bad instances.
Housebreaking could be tough with this breed. Train them as soon as you bring him home and stop being harsh on your dog.
Impart continuous training so that they can develop good toilet habits.
This hybrid breed loves to exercise. Brisk, short walk twice a day is more than enough for this dog to spend it’s pent up energy.
Try a body belt instead of the regular belt and leash. They make good pets for those people who dwell in small-cramped places like apartments.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Health Problems
This designer dog breed carries a little bit more health risk than similar dog breeds. Most diseases are preventable with proper care.
Major Health Issues
- Retinal dysplasia – Not a painful condition, retinal dysplasia means a complex malformation inside the retina. Dysplasia indicates an unusual change within the eye.
- Hemophilia – An inherited coagulation problem in animals and this problem occurs due to spontaneous mutation.
- Patellar Luxation – A dog is said to suffer from patellar luxation when the dog’s kneecap stays dislocated.
Minor Health Issues
- Corneal dystrophy – The cornea in the eye turns opaque and it’s a genetically-transmitted disorder.
- Shaker dog syndrome – When the dog’s entire body tends to move or shake, this condition is said to exist.
- Hydrocephalus – Excessive build-up of cerebrospinal fluid causes hydrocephalus in dogs.
- Color dilution alopecia – Witnessed in dogs having a fawn or blue coat, color dilution disorder causes a streak of hair loss or thinning. Itchy or flaky skin is also not ruled out.
- Mitral valve dysplasia – MVD in dogs refers to a congenital anomaly.
- Glaucoma – A common dog problem, in glaucoma, high pressure in the eye causes failure of fluid drainage.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Food
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Puppies Names
This being a cross-breed takes a look at some of the Chihuahua and Maltese dog names.
Maltese Puppy Names
|Maltese Male Dog Names||Maltese Female Dog Names|
Chihuahua Puppy Names
|Chihuahua Male Dog Names||Chihuahua Female Dog Names|
- Most Malchis are, in one way or the other, light in color.
- If you select a tan, cream, and white, then you should clean their fur on a daily basis to keep them presentable and clean.
- For busy persons, this crossbreed cannot be the right choice for you.
- The Malchi, being a new breed, the breeders are more interested in their parent’s ancestry.
- This dog is right for those people who know how to train and socialize them. These dogs can easily move along well with the rest with patient and consistent.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix Price And Breeders
If you are planning to buy this cross breed, you can get it priced between $300-$1000 USD. The breeders fix the price based on the puppy’s ancestry, breeder, and their health conditions.
The puppy needs other things such as food bowls, leash, collar, carrier and crate, microchipping, spaying, shots, deworming, and blood tests.
Where you can find reputable Malchi breeders?
Searching online is a better way since you can contact other customers and learn more about their puppy.
You should remember that recognized Malchi breeders will sell their puppy at a premium.
These breeders usually have plenty of knowledge about this breed, and so it’s not at all a news that these dogs will cost more.
Chihuahua Maltese Mix or Malchi is a cross breed between a Chihuahua and a Maltese dog. These designer dogs have an attractive small-sized frame.
These cute hybrid dogs may take the looks of both its parents, either stay curly hair or short-haired.
These mixed breed dogs are gentle with a smart disposition that makes them suitable for taking part in different events such as competitive obedience and agility sports.