Can Dogs Eat Blueberries? Yes, without any doubt dogs can eat blueberries. They are supremely rich in fibers, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. It is a well-known fact that dogs do not suffer from stomach related ailments eating blueberries; dogs can eat them as healthy treats.
Dogs can also eat raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries.
Can Dogs Eat Blueberries Video
Can Dogs Eat Blueberries Infographics
Nutritional Information – Blueberries
Let’s learn more about what blueberries contain.
- Blueberries consists of protein- 4%, fats- 5%, and carbs- 91%.
- They chiefly contain carbohydrates and thus provide a sugary taste, as in most berries and fruits.
- These berries also contain vitamin K and are one of the well-known sources of vitamin K.
- Additionally, blueberries also contain Riboflavin, Thiamin, vitamins E, B6, and C and fiber.
Health Benefits Of Blueberries To Your Dogs
- As per reports, blueberries are rich in Vitamin C and fiber and have the capacity to reduce the risk of obesity and cardiovascular diseases.
- The fiber content will also enhance the dog’s digestive system.
- Blueberries are quite high in antioxidants. Antioxidants control free radicals from inducing destruction to health.
- Moreover, a diet strong in antioxidants may prove to be a boon for older dogs.
- In addition, controlling or managing free radicals also controls brain health and are very beneficial to geriatric dogs.
- Even dogs suffering from diabetes can be given blueberries but a vet opinion is always recommended before starting any new diet.
How To Feed Blueberries To Your Pet?
Blueberries can be given at all mealtime. The right amount of blueberries always depends on the dog’s size. In fact, they can be included in a dog’s regular kibble. Also, some dogs prefer eating frozen blueberries and experts warn that these could result in unnecessary choking troubles.
Can Dogs Eat Blueberry Muffins?
Yes! Dogs can eat muffins made of blueberries. But, you should avoid feeding them to your dog.
These treats generally have high sugar content and so they are not good for a dog’s health. Also, cakes, pies, and muffins are generally the foods human consume and may be harmful to dogs.
Moreover, we cannot say all the blueberry muffins are unhealthy. Sometimes, muffins may be prepared with less sugar content or no artificial sweeteners.
So, it is always better to look at the ingredients before you buy a blueberry muffin for your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Blueberry Yogurt?
Yes! Blueberry yogurt is a yummy treat for your dog. But, ensure that this treatment does not have artificial sweeteners.
Artificial sweeteners such as sucralose and aspartame can cause stomach upset, whereas xylitol will cause toxic effects in your dog. Stevia, yet another sweetener, will make the blood pressure lower in your dog.
Also, yogurt made of blueberries may have a high amount of sugar levels. Sometimes, spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon used in the yogurts will also be toxic to dogs if consumed in large amount.
Thus, you should always check the ingredient list of blueberry yogurt for artificial sweeteners, spices, and sugar levels before you buy it.
So, it is always safe to feed a plain blueberry yogurt with less fat and no sweeteners.
A Simple Blueberry Dog Treat – Recipe
- Egg, beaten – 1 no
- Honey ( as per requirement)
- Rolled oats – ¼ cup
- Dried blueberries – 1 tablespoon
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Mashed blueberries – ¼ cup
- Apple blueberry puree – 4 oz container
How to prepare?
- Firstly, preheat oven at 350 degrees with a line baking sheet and parchment paper.
- In a regular bowl, mix honey, dried blueberries, rolled oats, flour, mashed blueberries, and blueberry baby food. Then, use a spatula to blend everything together. Now, pour contents on a working surface and dough together.
- After preparing the dough, roll them into a ½ to ¼ inch and cut them into any shape of your choice.
- Place the cutouts on a baking sheet and gently rub egg wash on top of each cutout.
- Finally, put these cutouts in the oven for around 20-30 mins until they turn crisp.
- Don’t forget to rotate the pan midway while baking.=
- Remove the tray after the prescribed time, allow it to cool and feed it to your dog.