You should be aware of a few general things before buying a Husky Pomeranian Mix; its orientation, appearance, and personality is not just unique but also rare to find.
The long speculations and debates regarding the origin of its existence were put to rest in the year 2012 by two friends from Arizona, Tressa Peterson, and also Joline Phillips.
Tressa Peterson is the owner of Apex Pomskies and Joline Phillips owns Arctic Design Pomskies. They were the pioneers in launching the Pomsky dog breed and indeed they created the breed by artificially transferring the semen of a Pomeranian adult male dog into a female Siberian Husky breed dog.
Since it is not a pure breed, care must be taken to keep it healthy, as genetic disorders could be a matter of concern (Pomskies usually don’t suffer from genetic disorders but this shouldn’t be ignored).
So now that you are here, rest assured you will be fed with all sorts of information about this breed starting from its size to price.
Find Top Rated Breeders In Your Area
Pomsky Infographic And Video
Do you own a dog? Ask Us A Question!
Pomsky Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: United States of America
- Size: Small
- Dog Breed Group: Designer, Family Dog
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan: 13 to 15 years
- Height: 10 to 15 inches
- Weight: 20 to 30 pounds
- Coat Appearance: Long, Thick, Fluffy, Soft, Straight
- Coat Colors: White, Black, Fawn, Cream, Pied, Gray
- Temperament: Energetic, Loving, Friendly, Loyal, Playful
- Good With Children: Yes with older children
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes with Socialization
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Grooming: High
- Shedding: High
- Barking: High
- Suitable For Apartments: Yes
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: Yes
- Good For First Time Owners: Moderate
- Health Issues: Cataract, Skin Problems, Heart Problems, Luxating Patella, Hypothyroidism
- Litter Size: 5 to 7 puppies
- Average Price: $800 to $5000
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Pomsky is a hybrid dog breed that comprises the mix of Pomeranian dog breed and Siberian Husky dog breed. Moreover, these dog breeds are highly intelligent, loving, and self-assured.
There are five kinds of Pomsky puppies that are noticeable in the USA. It can also appear in different colors, shapes, and sizes.
1. Foxy Pomsky
This is a very prominent and popular breed. These dogs have a slim appearance and when you groom the dog it will look like a fox. This Husky Pomeranian Mix has a bone structure that is akin to that of a Husky and the frame looks similar to that of a Pomeranian.
This kind of dogs can also vary in terms of its stature. They generally have a body weight of 20 to 30 lbs.
2. Plush Husky
The facial features of this dog show a clear mix of Pomeranian and Husky dog breeds. The fur of the Plush Husky is really attractive.
Some salient features of this dog are its small-sized appearance, fluffy coat, husky color markings on the body, a short broad nose and muzzle and also a thick curled tail. These dogs normally weigh 20 lbs.
This dog breed has also become famous for being widely viewable on the internet. Breeders and owners are proud of its beautiful look.
3. Pure White Stunner
This dog has that really stunning look, it is seen mostly in white color. Nevertheless, its color variation could be in red, grey, brown and black. It has a short coat and subtle facial features. The weight of this dog can be in the range of 25 to 35 lbs.
Many people wish to own this dog and also owners receive several inquiries in this regard. However, this dog breed is still mistaken by many people to be belonging to some other breed
4. Blue Eyed Brownie
The physical features of this dog are deep blue eyes, lengthy double-layered coating and brown-colored markings across its body. Blue-eyed brownie dogs appear in different sizes.
This kind of dog is also largely in demand, especially because of things like its eye color and general color pattern of its body.
5. Short Hair Cutie
This dog has a highly distinctive and attractive coat and it is also easy to spot them. Short Hair cutie can come in different colors, sizes, and shapes.
It can be definitely mentioned that this dog has an equal mix of its parents Pomeranian and Siberian Husky when it comes to its appearance.
In terms of variation, they can be available as:
- Bred with the 50/50 mix – This is the most commonly found Pomsky dog variety. It means that the breeding of a pure Pomeranian and pure Siberian Husky obviously results in this kind. As in a corgi husky mix which is a Siberian husky and corgi crossbred, this type of dog bears the features of both the parents equally. These dogs with this bred design (50/50) will be having the body of a Pomeranian and characteristics like that of a Husky.
- Produced with the 25/75 mix – The breeding mix in this category shows that the Pomsky to be bred with a genetic makeup that comprises 75% of that of a Pomeranian (75%) and the rest of the 25% from that of a Husky. However, upon comparison with the 50/50 mix variation, this kind of Husky Pomeranian Mix will have characteristics that mainly will be like that of a Pomeranian.
- Bred with the 75/25 mix – This is a crossbreed Husky Pomeranian Mix dog that comes from the combination of a 50/50 Pomsky and a pure Siberian Husky. This means that 75% of the mix constitutes Husky and 25% from Pomeranian.
It is noted that breeders who breed this kind of dogs involve in breeding only in the future. This will be small in size than the female Siberian Husky while its appearance and actions will be identical to that of a Husky.
Pomsky Size And Lifespan
Pomsky Full Grown
It must be understood that the size of an adult (both its height and weight) is determined by the size of its parents and the nature of cross breed that it is bred with.
An adult appears to be a trifle lengthier than its build.
A small size adult is found to weigh around 15 pounds when a small size Pomeranian is bred with a small size Husky. Generally, small size dog is found to be lower in size in terms of weight and height.
It is notable that the length of an adult in terms of measurement from its chest to the rear would be in the range of 12 to 17 inches. It is however noted that the average height of an adult is between 10 inches to 15 inches.
The stated average height will be there in the adult dog if the height of its parents, the Pomeranian and Siberian Husky is in the range of 8 inches to 11 inches and between 20 to 22 inches.
In respect of the average weight of this dog, it is somewhere between 20 pounds to 30 pounds. This average weight will be found in this breed if the Pomeranian is between 3 to 7 pounds and the Siberian Husky is between 35 to 50 pounds.
That being said, you must not mistake it to be a miniature dog; their behavior and energetic activities are all like that of a giant breed.
It is a crossbreed dog between the Pomeranian and Siberian Husky breeds where each one of those two breeds has a different lifespan.
The longevity of a normal Siberian Husky is generally noticed to be in the age range of 12 years to 14 years whilst the small size Pomeranian dogs can live up to 15 years of age.
The average lifespan of this dog is noted to live for a maximum age of between 13 years to 15 years but this applies to dogs of normal health. The lifespan could even extend slightly more if it is well maintained and is in excellent health.
There is a general belief that is prevalent that even includes some set of professionals stating that cross-bred dogs are more healthy than full breed dogs. It is a new designer breed dog and can live longer if its health is well maintained by the respective owner.
In addition, they are known to shed a lot. Therefore, think twice before bringing home a Pomsky puppy.
The temperament and traits of a dog are generally known to be different as it is also based on the treatment of its owner/trainer.
However, it is stated that Pomsky puppies have inherited the temperamental qualities from its parents, the Pomeranian and the Husky dog breeds.
- Generally, a Pomsky puppy likes its owner and moves in an amicable manner with him/her and also with all the family members.
- The can socialize well with all individuals but it must be trained very early right from the time it arrives at the home of its owner.
- It is highly intelligent and can react instantly to any sort of situation because of its amazing energy levels.
- Husky Pomeranian Mix dogs get along well with children due to its playful attitude.
- It shows a lot of confidence while facing dangerous situations and protects its owner from the risks caused by robbers, strangers and during the dark time.
- They can be easily trained because it has that eagerness for learning. If the owner gives treats or rewards, these puppies get delighted.
- Loyalty is another key characteristic of this dog and it is indeed considered majorly as trustworthy by those who take care of it. Furthermore, Pomskies are very agile and always love to play. Therefore, you should plan well in advance so that they don’t get bored.
- Wonderful guard dogs; they bark out loud creating an alarm the moment they sense danger
- They are highly intelligent as well as athletic and they can run really fast and can also be good high jumpers.
- They are generally noted to show good interest in exercises and it depends on the trainer or owner to utilize this trait in the best way possible.
- It can be a puzzle when it comes to the barking factor since its parents have a mixed character. Pomeranian bark loudly and frequently also while Siberian Husky occasionally barks.
They need a lot of exercises to ensure you take them out for a quick walk; my pet runs out the moment I open the front door! You must take extra care while letting it play with children.
They can become aggressive when the kids act a bit loudly. Once the pets get used to the usual behavior of children, it would not be much of a problem but until then, they must be allowed to play under the close supervision of an elder.
Interesting Facts On Pomsky Puppies
- The five most popular Pomsky dogs on the internet are Oreo, Norman, Mya, Toby, and Lil Rufo. By the by, Norman has more than 97.9k fans on Instagram.
- Olympic skaters Adrian Diaz and Madison Hubbel own ‘Supernova’, a cute looking Husky Pomeranian Mix dog.
- Pomskies are only been around for 20 years and they now have dedicated clubs in both America and Canada.
- Bear in mind Pomskies are simply not Teacups. Firstly, Teacup Pomeranians do not fall under the category of a dog breed. For example, they are a result of breeding two poms to finally get a smaller version.
- Mostly, this dog breed is like a big bag full of goodies because you never really know what you will finally get. Yes, Pomskies can ultimately inherit any of their parent’s temperament or traits.
- Moreover, Pomskies are not recognized officially by international breed clubs including Kennel Club, UK.
- It has become an assertive statement presently from a section of masses that it takes a lot of time to brush or comb the Pomeranian Husky Mix to upkeep its coat and overall appearance.
- They state that taking care of this dog will be equivalent to that of a part-time job.
- In fact, almost all dog lovers easily identify a Siberian Husky because their piercing eyes and wolf-like traits are quite difficult to miss.
- They are quite stubborn like their parent Pomeranian and require patient handling while training
- They are also called Huskarians. Well! I like calling them Pomsky though.
Best Names For Your Pomsky Puppy
|Male Dogs||Female Dogs|
It is a known fact that dogs must be given food that is high in protein and has moderate fat. All that matters is the amount of food you give the pet; feeding them the right quantity is very important.
A full-grown Pomeranian Husky Mix must be given 2 cups of dry food every day; it’s advisory that you split the meal intervals into 2 times a day. When they are just puppies, ensure to split the meals into 3 or more because they must not be stuffed with food in one go.
The active nature of these dogs will call for the stated ingredients in its food.
Consult a vet prior to buying a dog food brand; your pet deserves a nutritious and healthy food.
Foods For Your Pomsky puppy
- Commercial Grain-free Dry Dog Food
- Whole Meat (cooked) like chicken, beef and lamb
- Vegetable pulp
- Spinach leaves
- Sweet potatoes
- Rice (Brown or White)
- Peanut butter
“Do not Eat” Foods
- Foods without additives
- Dairy foods
- Grapes and Raisins
- Caffeinated items like coffee
Recommended Read: Feeding Guide For Husky And Husky Mix Dogs
Pomeranian Husky Mix Health Problems
Since it is a new breed, reports of Pomsky suffering from major ailments have not yet been received. Dental problems seem to be the only disease that is reported with respect to the Pomsky puppy.
However, health professionals and related field experts opine that since it is a cross breed dog between the Pomeranian and Siberian Husky, it could suffer from a host of diseases in the near future.
The Pomsky dog is an intelligent cross between a Husky and a Pomeranian. But, this is quite a new breed and therefore it’s difficult to pinpoint if Pomskies suffer from any hereditary health problems or not.
So, genetic diseases could strike the Pomskies, anytime in the future. Pomeranian dogs and Siberian Husky, nevertheless suffer from various diseases.
Some of the diseases are:
- Patellar luxation
- Skin problems
- Heart problems
- Collapsed trachea
All mix breeds are prone to suffer from some of the other kind of disease but the most common disease widely prevalent in a Pomeranian Husky Mix is the “dental disease”.
The first symptom of the onset of a dental disease is bad breath and this can’t conclude that the dog has a poor oral hygiene; this could also indicate that the puppy is suffering from some underlying health condition.
The main reason is the development of plaque and tartar that travel under the gum line, thus creating complications. To keep their bones healthy, give them nutrient-rich food and allow them to enjoy a lot of active play time.
Symptoms, causes, and Prevention of Dental problems in Pomsky dogs
Symptoms of dental problems that Pomsky dogs show:
- experience bleeding in its gums
- developing the problem of bad breath
- Swelling of its cheeks
- Yellow or brown stains appear on its teeth
- Losing out some teeth
- Swelling below its eyes
- Its gums show an inflamed or reddish look
- Running Nose
- Appetite Loss
- Weight Loss
Causes of Dental Problems
- Lack of nutrition
- Streptococcus bacteria formation
- No proper cleaning by its owner/trainer
- Formation of Crowded Teeth
Treatment and Preventive steps
- Involve in routine brushing of its teeth
- Apply fluoride/s to its teeth
- Feed the right raw diet to the Pomsky dog
- Also, keep monitoring your dog’s mouth daily for finding if it has a bad breath problem
- Take the dog for a periodic dental checkup once in every 6 months to a veterinarian
Dental health also plays a crucial role in determining the health of a Pomsky dog. This problem could be related to the parents of the Pomskies, the Pomeranian, and the Siberian Husky.
However, if the dental problems are left unattended for over a long period, it could even lead to fatal consequences like death.
How To Train A Pomeranian Husky Mix?
A Pomeranian Husky Mix is highly vibrant and energetic; this full-of-life breed requires a lot of exercises to remain healthy. So ensure you take him out to play and run around on a daily basis.
Training this breed is quite easy when compared to other dogs. Start small sessions of training right from the age of 3 months; early training helps them learn very fast. Introducing them to the kids is vital because this breed can feel aggressive towards strangers and act out loud.
To avoid this, help them make friends with the kids at home and supervise them playing with the kids. The best way to help them be great friends is by allowing the children to train them on little fetch-the-ball games.
Reward your Pomsky and appreciate them when they successfully learn a trick; avoid giving them punishments. If you fail to give them physical and mental training, this breed will not learn to stay friendly around kids; so make it a point to spend some ample amount of time training your pet each day.
Pomsky Price And Breeders
Being a mixed breed, Husky Pomeranian Mix puppies for sale always kindles a unique sense of enthusiasm amongst dog lovers.
The price of a Pomeranian Husky Mix puppy in the USA market is from a price range of $800 to a maximum of $5000 or maybe even more. You can purchase this breed from either a pet store or a breeder.
However, breeders consider a lot of factors while pricing a Pomsky puppy. It differs based on the breeder, quality of this breed and also the value of its parents (the Pomeranian and the Husky).
Eminent breeders tend to follow pricing of their pomskies based on the value of its parents, Pomeranian and the Husky. Nevertheless, they charge a premium price for the buyer.
Breeders charge a higher price from the buyers of these dogs if the lineage of the parents of this dog breed is proven through AKC (American Kennels Club) papers.
You can get them in the UK pet market from the price range of $550 to $2500 or even higher.
A Pomeranian Husky Mix is quite an expensive dog and hence buying them requires a lot of diligence; without prior research, do not buy a Husky Pomeranian Mix. Choosing the right breeder is essential if you wish to have a healthy dog delivered to you.
Here are a few tips to remember while choosing a breeder;
- Do not buy from a breeder if he is not willing to give away medical details of the pup and the parents.
- Request to see license or certificates of the breeder; if he fails to produce one, walk away from him.
- Always try to get referrals from the breeder.
- If a breeder does not behave right, then it is obvious that the dogs he owns would not be raised right.
- There are numerous breeders with online stores; make sure they upload genuine and real pet photos online.
- He should be willing to sign up guarantee papers pertaining to the pet’s health, previous medical conditions, and also vaccination details.
It is best to avoid buying from uncertified puppy farms; buying from rescue centers would be much better.
Pomsky Breeders in the UK:
- Katie Brooke Kennels
Newcastle West, Co Limerick
Tel.: (00353) 86 025 8892
E-mail Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cocoa Frost Pomskies
Address: Lipton, West Yorkshire
E-mail Id: email@example.com
- Prestige Pomskies
E-mail Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pomsky Breeders in the USA:
- Acacia Pomskies
Address: Northern California
E-mail Id: email@example.com
- Purebred Pomsky
Address: Kansas City, Missouri
- Pomsky Perfection
E-mail Id: pomskyPerfection@gmail.com