The coonhound dog is a scent hound dog that belongs to the hound group. This dog is majorly used for hunting in the United States Of America to hunt coons.
Many Coonhound dog breeds are the descendants of English Foxhounds. Right from the colonial times, USA had started importing dogs like foxhounds and other hound breeds.
The American Black and Tan Coonhound is the most popular hunter dog from the hound group.
It is a phenomenally courageous and energetic dog, mostly used for hunting coons. Of course, there are many other varieties of coonhound dogs and to cite some prominent names, they are:
♦ American English Coonhound
It is another attractive hunter dog from the hound group with a slim body appearance. However, its muscular build is good. It is a real delight to watch this dog, peering through the woods in the moonlight.
♦ Bluetick Coonhound
One of the best coon hunting dogs that is dynamic and a quick tracker, which will benefit the hunter in easily catching the target animal.
This dog has highly demanded its all-around features like uniqueness in its body color markings, barking style, strength and proportionate body (body size that is in proportion to its height).
♦ Redbone Coonhound
A charming dog that can be a great worker while in the hunting field. It is a very brave dog which is adaptable to tracking on all sorts of terrain. The Redbone Coonhound is a dog with a well-balanced temperament.
Considered as a highly dynamic and talented dog and it carries that superb sensing ability. Bloodhound is used worldwide by the law enforcement department and for search and rescue operations because of this ability.
♦ Plott Coonhound
When compared with other coonhound dogs, the Plott coonhound sports that are large and muscular. They are not very speedy dogs but they have the phenomenal stamina and the skill to tackle bigger animals and have been really effective.
Its bark is so loud and clear that it could be heard even in very tougher conditions.
♦ American Foxhound
American Foxhound is a hunter dog which has that soft look in its big eyes. The only requirement for the owner of this dog is to ensure that it gets a lot of exercises. The American Foxhound breed dogs are aggressive and independent by nature.
♦ English Foxhound
English foxhound dog carries that rare mix of attractiveness, balance, and usefulness, which every dog breeder and the owner will want. It is a powerful hunting dog with a lot of stamina wherein it will show its competence even on extremely tough days.
Black And Tan Coonhound
Black And Tan Coonhound Dog – Coat And Color:
Like the name implies, this coonhound breed dog looks in black and tan. The black and tan coonhound dogs have a short, thick and oily coat. The main colour of its body is a large spread of black.
However, tan markings appear over its eyes, on the sides of the muzzle, on its chest, back of the thighs and legs. Mostly, its feet appear to be in black color
Black And Tan Coonhound Dog Appearance:
The Black and Tan Coonhound dog has a short and dense coat that protects them from erratic weather conditions. It is a dog with a strong build.
Since this dog breed is a descendant of Bloodhound, its size and body shape is similar to that of the latter. Normally, the Black and Tan Coonhound dog has big noses, big and low-hanging ears, and bow-shaped lips.
Its eyes are round and appear either hazel or brown in color. Always, this dog’s eyes bear that serious look. It has a lengthy and thick tail. While engaged in hunting, its tail stands erect at 90⁰.
It is a very expressive dog that can easily impress many people who wish to buy a new dog. Bluetick is a dog that was first bred in the USA.
The Bluetick has an upright head and the tail carried over its back. The dog gets that blue colouring due to the black ticking on a white background.
Tanned dots are seen over its eyes and the sides of its muzzle appear in tan colour. The dog has long droopy ears. Bluetick dogs have medium-sized legs with small feet.
Bluetick Coonhound Facts:
Bluetick is a fearless dog that is used by hunters while they go for hunting. Although the dog was first bred for hunting and utilized for that profession over a period of time, it became a popular pet in the USA.
The Bluetick Coonhound dog is athletic by nature. The major disadvantage for this dog is its vocal nature. In this regard, voice training is essential for these dogs. It must be socialized from its young age itself. More treats will be required for this dog during its training.
Bluetick dogs always like to be active and wish to move to the outdoor environment. So, these dogs are seen to be taken for long walks by their owners. It also loves to run and play. Moreover, the dog really loves to play with children.
The dog is also known for being highly loving and affectionate to human beings. The Bluetick is an excellent guard dog. This dog breed is seen only in rural areas due to its charming look and hunting skills.
Bluetick Coonhound Price:
In the USA market, the price of a well-bred Bluetick Coonhound dog can be bought at a price range of $500 to $600. Bluetick Coonhound dogs in the moderate to low-quality levels are available at a price tag of $300-$500.
Redbone Coonhound Facts:
The Redbone Coonhound dog is a medium-built and strong hunting dog from the hound’s group. The United States of America is its place of origin. The Redbone Coonhound dogs have an attractive red coating.
They have long hanging ears that can even reach up to the tip of the nose. They have a tail that is always upright. The Redbone Coonhound dogs have that unusual behavior of singing while on the hunt.
However, even while they are at home they tend to bark a lot. A highly experienced and patient trainer will only be able to train this dog. These dogs possess that phenomenal sense of smell and are great hunters in hiding and nabbing their prey which may be from bears to raccoons to bobcats.
Redbone Coonhounds are versatile dogs which do well in training and tracking. These dogs are also liked by families because of its real affection is shown to them. These dogs are independent thinkers and can resolve problems on their own.
The Redbone is a happy dog with a well-balanced temperament and fond of children. Redbone dogs will always expect that appreciation from its owner. It is vital for owners to understand that this dog breed definitely needs to be socialized from an early age due to its aggressive nature.
Redbone Coonhounds are one of those highly dynamic and alert dogs that can work on all terrains even during the toughest weather conditions. This dog is also called as a hunter’s delight.
Redbone Coonhound Price:
The price of a Redbone Coonhound dog in the US market is in the range of $900 to $1500. There are various determinants for price fixation like:
- Nature of breeder (registered/unregistered)
- Location of the Breeder
- Experience of the Breeder
- Quality of the dog, its age and breed lines
The prices of premium quality dog breeds with vaccination details will be from $1500 and go even up to $4000.
Coonhound Size / Lifespan
Weight: Female: 25–32 kg, Male: 30–34 kg
Height: Female: 58–64 cm, Male: 64–69 cm
At maturity, male dogs appear a little larger than the female.
Generally, a healthy coonhound is observed to live up to the age of 10 years or to a maximum of 12 years.
- Cautious towards strangers
Coonhound Health Problems
Mostly, Coonhound dogs suffer mainly from diseases like hip dysplasia, ectropion, and autoimmune thyroiditis.
1. Hip Dysplasia
- Pain in the hips while doing activities like walking and running
- Difficulty to rise or stand up
- Gait changes
- Loosening of the hip joint
- Avoids physical activity
- The hind limb can become disabled
- A considerable amount of weight loss in the thighs
- Shoulder muscles of the dog get bulgy because the dog shifts its weight onto its front legs
- Hereditary reasons which lead to the unusual formation of hip joints
- The condition worsens further due to environmental reasons
- Abnormal weight gain and Obesity, which cause heavy strain on the joints
- A poor nutritional value in the diet
- Pelvic muscle mass
- Excess exercising
Based on the condition of the dog, age and overall health conditions, a veterinarian will adopt the best approach. The methods could be non-surgical or surgical.
Non-surgical methods will be undertaken, like medications to treat hip dysplasia if it is in a mild state. Medication and dietary recommendations include:
- Diet and weight management – Appropriate exercises for the dog so that the muscles around the joints of the dog become strong
- Oral nutritional supplements – Chondroitin and glucosamine are nutritional supplements that help the dog to maintain its joints in a healthy condition
- Mild physiotherapy – to lower the loosening level of joints and build the muscle mass
- Non-steroidal inflammatory drugs – to provide pain relief and decrease inflammation
Surgical treatment methods
- Triple pelvic osteotomy (TPO) – Normally this surgery is only done on dogs that are 10 months or a bit younger that suffer from extremely loose joints. The pelvic bone is broken and the hip joint is realigned through this surgery.
- Excision Arthroplasty – This surgery involves removing the head of the femur and it is replaced with an implant. This treatment is performed only on dogs with the degenerative joint disease.
- Total hip replacement – Deemed as one of the most effective surgeries for dogs with chronic hip dysplasia. The damaged hip joint is stripped off to be infused with a new hip joint.
- Reddish and Irritated eyes
- Excessive Tearing
- Pink Eye
- Genetic factor
- Trauma in the eye
A veterinarian will adopt the right treatment method only after studying the dog’s age, stage of the disease and overall health. Treatment could be in the form of medications for mild to moderate levels of the disease. In the case of severity of the disease, surgery will be the primary option.
- Medications might include – Usage of eye drops to be dropped on the lower eyelid of the affected dog to enable lubrication of the eye
Application of ointment on the lower outer skin of the eye to avoid the dry out of cornea and conjunctivae
- Cases that require surgery – a general veterinarian or a veterinary ophthalmologist would do the surgery. However, ophthalmologists will perform surgery on the dogs that are in the extreme stage of ectropion. Generally, vets perform the surgery to make the lower eyelid get enough support and to lower its droop level.
3. Autoimmune thyroiditis
It is the cause of hypothyroidism in dogs. Autoimmune thyroiditis affects various parts of a dog’s body such as the skin, thyroid and digestive system.
- The rise in body weight
- Hypersensitivity to cold
- Dryness in the skin
- Skin infections
- Aggressive behavior
- Hyper-responsive behavior
- Development of wrinkles on the forehead
- Genetic Reason
- The dog’s body creates its own antibodies that go to attack its own immune system
- Environmental chemicals could very much trigger the disease
- An illness suffered by the dog in its early life could also be a trigger
Generally, veterinarians do not treat the autoimmune thyroiditis condition in dogs if it has normal basal T4 and free T4 levels and it behaves in a normal way. Veterinarians wait for some serious conditions to show in dogs like sudden extreme aggressiveness or occurrence of sickness.
However, certain veterinarians think that further production of thyroid stimulating hormone in the dog will only worsen autoimmune thyroiditis.
They give lower than usual doses of medication to the thyroxine hormone after consideration of the optimal weight of the dog. This kind of approach will stop the dog from becoming hyperthyroid and it also lowers the TgAA levels. The TgAA (thyroglobulin autoantibodies) levels will be back to normal after a period of seven months or near to normal.
This is a lifelong treatment for the dog. Additionally, owners have to implement a comprehensive thyroid antibody profile of the dog in a periodic manner. The reason is that the TgAA level can rise due to health changes or stressors.
However, to restore the normal functioning of the thyroid, a veterinarian might call for a synthetic thyroid hormone replacement therapy. Vets will recommend this therapy after analyzing the dog’s age, other health issues and the stage of autoimmune thyroiditis.
According to the AKC (American Kennel Club), the average price of a Black and Tan Coonhound dog will be around $300 to $400. However, the prices may differ based on the place of purchase.
For example, a breed center will fix a different price while the rescue shelters might sell at a lower rate.
|Male Dogs||Female Dogs|
Interesting Facts About Coonhound
- Black and Tan Coonhound is the oldest dog in the coonhound dog breed. A descendant of the Talbot Hound dog which existed in England in the 11th century during the rule of William I Duke of Normandy
- Employed in all the departments for tracking right from the 1700s.
- Although Black and Tan Coonhound is a hunting dog that has great skill in hunting coons, it is also good in hunting deer, bear and mountain lion.
- During the year 1945 itself, the American Kennel Club (AKC) had officially recognized and registered Black and Tan Coonhound. It is the first coonhound dog to be registered by AKC.
- The Black and Tan Coonhound dogs can travel on all terrains, from rough land too mountainous areas.
- People call this ‘nocturnal specialist’ because it can travel so fast in the night. It can tactfully attack the prey thereby guiding the hunter (owner) effectively.
- A black and tan coonhound dog named Harbor was recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records in 2010 for “a living dog with longest ears”. The right ear was 34.3 cm while the left ear measured 31.1 cm.
- Jazzman Black and Tans
Address: Palmdale, CA 93551
- Squire Black and Tans
Address: Fairview, PA 16415
Tel.: (814) -474-2925
- Rockytop Black and Tans
Address: Gurley, AL 35748
Tel.: (256) 656-9815