How do you feel if you are able to have a small-sized or Miniature German Shepherd? On cloud nine, right?
Some breeders mix Yorkshire Terriers as well in rare cases. Now, let’s see what makes the mini German Shepherd a great family pet?
- Dog Games
- Happy Puppy Management Tips
- Dog Adoption
- How To Train Your Dog For Basic Commands?
- Majestic Names For Your Male Dogs
- Cute Names For Female Dogs
- What Foods Can/Can’t Your Dog Eat?
- Must Know Dental Care Tips
- First Time Dog Owner Tips
- Pet Insurance
- Pet Travel Made Easy
- Understand Your Pets Body language
Miniature German Shepherd Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Size: Medium
- Dog Breed Group: Working
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan: 10 to 15 years
- Height: Small
- Weight: 25 to 30 pounds
- Coat Appearance: Thick and double coat
- Coat Colors: Red, Black, White, Cream, Brindle, Tan etc.
- Temperament: Intelligent, Athletic, Kids friendly, Energetic, Playful, Sweet
- Good With Children: Yes
- Intelligence Level: High
- Grooming: Moderate
- Suitable For Apartments: Yes
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: Yes
- Good For First Time Owners: Yes
- Health Issues: Hip dysplasia, degenerative myelopathy, thyroid imbalance
- Average Price: $600 to $1000
Miniature German Shepherd Breed Information
These are small dogs that can fit in your lap. It has straight and strong forelegs and the balanced front and rear parts. The general physique of this dog will surely impress you.
Miniature German Shepherds are thick, double-coated and particolored dogs. The coat colors can be:
- Brindle and
Miniature German Shepherd Size And Lifespan
Miniature German Shepherd Lifespan
The lifespan of Mini German Shepherd depends on her health and of her parents. Considering these factors, you can expect these dogs to live for 10–15 years.
Miniature German Shepherd Temperament
They inherit the characteristics of both parents and become –
Great pets for families – It is an intelligent, quick learner, well-adjustable, obedient and sincere to his owner. These traits make them a lovely pet for families.
Wonderful working dogs – These dogs have herding trait inherited from his parent. This will help him to be an assistance dog.
Companion dogs – They are expressive. This trait helps the owner and the family to feel comfortable.
Lovable pet for kids – They are active and protective. They keep the children engaged with long hours of play sessions.
Besides the above, the other traits of miniature German Shepherds:
- Pleasing personality
- Easy to train
- Intelligence in balancing work and play
Miniature German Shepherd Training
You can easily train the miniature German Shepherds as they have their own characteristics. But, it may take time for you to get attached to the dog as they are sensitive.
If you believe you are a good trainer and want to train your mini GSD, here are a few tips:
- Provide proper socialization training from the young age to make him a wonderful pet.
- You will feel pleasure to train them as these dogs are fast learners.
- You can train him to become a search and rescue dog due to his intellectual nature.
- Provide obedience training as they excel.
- Take her for walking a long time every day to stay healthy.
Miniature German shepherds do wonders if trained properly by a professional dog trainer.
Miniature German Shepherd Food
Miniature German Shepherd Shedding And Grooming
You can easily maintain the miniature German Shepherd. These dogs have soft hair. So, you can use a simple brush and groom him.
You have to brush her coat for few times each month if he spends outdoors most of the time.
Miniature GSDs can stay in both cold and warm climates. Yet, take him to the vet for regular checkups.
Miniature German Shepherd Health Problems
Miniature German shepherds are crossbreeds. So, she has more possibilities to inherit diseases from her parents.
Thus, it is essential to ensure with the breeder about the health conditions of your miniature German shepherd. Also, inquire with the breeder for other breeds used at the time of breeding and the hereditary diseases in them.
Now, take a quick glance at a few inherited diseases of mini GSD:
- Hip dysplasia – A genetic disorder in that the hip joint malfunctions and leads to hip arthritis by aging. Medications will help to prevent hip degeneration.
- Degenerative myelopathy – A neuro disorder. The dog’s spinal cord degenerates and leads to partial or complete paralysis. Harnesses help for your mini’s easy life as no effective treatment is available.
- Endocrine pancreatic insufficiency – A digestive disorder that can be fatal. Early identification and treatment help them to get relief.
- Prone to allergies
- Thyroid imbalance – Thyroid hormone may be underactive or overactive and lead to an imbalance in the levels.
You should be aware of the breeders who sell the runts of litters as mini German Shepherds. Because runts have a poor health condition and their immune system is weak.
It is recommended to take your mini GSD to the vet for examination after you own her. This will help you to be aware of the diseases if your mini German Shepherd has and you can get advice from your vet to prevent them as well.
Miniature German Shepherd Puppy Names
Want to name your marvelous miniature German Shepherd? Here are a few fabulous names:
Miniature German Shepherd Price And Breeders
Miniature German shepherds cost anywhere around $600 to $1000 in America.
A puppy of German Shepherd and Border Collie mix costs around $950. A German Shepherd and Poodle mix puppy will cost up to $900.
Miniature German Shepherd Breeders
Finding a reputable breeder is an essential task for pet owners. Specifically for designer dogs, you need to be more careful. Always inquire the breeders with words “purebred” or “teacup”.
Ask the breeder about the puppy’s parents and medical history. Ask him about vaccination details, health clearance for hip dysplasia and other diseases.
You can inquire about them with the AKC Rescue Network groups and AKC Breed Clubs located in all the states of America.