American bulldogs are a protective and caring pet. Their affection for small kids makes them great family dogs. Despite their huge size, American bulldogs behave like a cute lap dog.
With an excellent dog like this as a pet, you will enjoy unlimited friendliness, love, and protection.
These dogs are always ready for playtime and tough work.
American Bulldog Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: America
- Size: Large
- Dog Breed Group: Working
- Purebred: Yes
- Lifespan:8-10 years
- Height: 14 to 15 inches
- Weight: 70 to 130 lbs
- Coat Appearance: Short, close
- Coat Colors: All colors accepted except tricolor, merle, solid blue, or solid black
- Temperament: Loyal, trustworthy, affectionate, friendly, caring, dominant, strong, brave, protective
- Good With Children: Yes
- Intelligence Level: Moderate
- Good With Pets: Better with supervision
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Grooming: Moderate
- Shedding: Moderate (seasonal)
- Suitable For Apartments: High
- Need For Exercise: Moderate
- Easy To Train: Yes with early socialization and training
- Good For First Time Owners: High
- Health Issues: Ectropion, Entropion, Elbow or hip dysplasia, Neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis
- Litter Size: 7-11 puppies
- Average Price: $500 USD onwards (without papers)
American Bulldog History
Historical records pinpoint that these dogs were bred in the late 13th century, well, during the rule of King John.
A pack of aggressive dogs fought a bull while onlookers bet on the show’s outcome.
The canines used in these activities, the fathers of today’s Bulldog, were violent brutes with exceptionally powerful jaws. They were impervious or invulnerable to pain.
A crude point in this dog’s history came in the year 1835 when Britain restricted blood sports that involved animals. Bloodsports, from now on went underground, and a new sport emerged pit dog fighting.
With bullbaiting waning, the breed faced extinction. Bulldog lovers began the task of converting the breed from an aggressive dog to companion. The breed was made more attractive and reinvented the Bulldog as a tender and soft pet.
American bulldogs in America
The English bulldog entered America to work in the farms because of their powerful body frame. Farmers bred and produced the best farm work dog. Their strength, agility, and loyalty made them suitable for both hunting and herding.
Mr.Johnson along with Scott revived this dog breed and the best lines are referred to as Scott and Johnson types.
As time progressed, these breeds became a part and parcel of many American families. Yale and Georgetown University used them as mascots. Their fierce looks make them the right choice for competitive activities.
The UKC identified this distinct breed in the year 1999.
American Bulldog Size And Lifespan
Height: 14 – 15 inches
American Bulldog weight
70 to 130 lbs
American Bulldog lifespan
The average lifespan of a dog like this is around 8 and 10 years.
American Bulldog Appearance And Coat Color
This is a very powerful, mediocre-sized, energetic dog. He possesses endless endurance and excellent muscle strength.
These dogs were created to work and definitely not as a ring dog. The dog is a wide, broad dog and exaggeration will reduce its effectiveness.
The head appears box-shaped. American Bulldog’s muzzle is box-shaped and square and the dog appears bulky and strong.
Their ears are small or medium in size. They could range from cropped, rose, semi-prick, or drop.
Gender differences appear well in this breed, and females are less muscular than males.
Scars resulting because of fieldwork should not be rejected.
Head – Large and broad
Skull – Deep, flat, and large
Muzzle – Thick and broad
Teeth – 42 large, white teeth
Nose – Open nostrils, large and wide, Red and brown
Eyes – Medium in size, and mostly round to almond
Ears – Small to medium
Neck – Muscular, but not too long
Forequarters – Well muscled and strong
Hindquarters – Broad and well-muscled
Tail – Docked or a natural tail
Coat Color –All colors are accepted except for tricolor, merle, solid blue, or solid black. No American bulldog will be accepted with a full black mask.
- The coat appears close, short and ranges from stiff to soft to the touch. It’s actually an inch or less.
- Wavy coat or longer than a 1 inch.
American Bulldog Temperament
Though much larger and sturdier than the English Bulldog, the personality of this dog breed is quite simple.
This is a caring dog and they consider themselves as a huge lap dog. These dogs are loyal, trustworthy, and confident.
Strong and brave, the American Bulldogs perform well when ideally trained from an early age. It is important to establish the leader of the pack and that’s none other than you.
A dog breed with excellent protective traits, American bulldogs are well known for their bravery and heroics. They are reserved with strangers.
American Bulldog Interesting Facts
- American Bulldog-Boxer mix (Bulloxer) represents a strong muscular-looking dog with a medium-sized dog tail.
- Known for their loyalty to their master, the Bulloxers prefer to spend quality time with their master.
- Their courageous nature and inherent alertness make them one of the best bulldog crossbreed dog.
- Tyke and Spike from Tom and Jerry Cartoon series are American bulldogs.
- In 2013 movie “Joe,” an American Bulldog plays “Joe’s companion” right throughout the movie.
American Bulldog Care
Minimal care and grooming are recommended for this dog breed. They do shed on a regular basis. These dogs enjoy weekly brushing and grooming and this will help you manage.
Appropriate socialization to stop destructive behavior and boredom is recommended. Without early socialization, these dog breeds may adopt destructive behavior such as scratching furniture for time pass.
If you are a lazy bone, please do not burden yourself by getting this breed.
These dogs are good slobbers. With a brilliant history as a splendid all-purpose dog, these dogs are brilliant outdoor and indoor pets.
If you live in an apartment, ensure that these dogs get regular exercise.
American Bulldog Grooming And Shedding
These dog breeds have a very short coat. The ears of this breed are supposed to collect debris, dust, and dirt.
Ears should be cleaned to eliminate any risk of any infection. The dog’s nails should be regularly clipped to prevent cracking.
This dog breed is famous for slobbering and drooling. This means they require additional cleaning and bathing of furniture and other necessary items these dogs come in touch with.
Use a clean moist wipe and remove the drool if any left on their face.
The breed sheds year-round. Comb or brush the coat on a weekly basis to remove dead waste hair.
Trim the dog’s nails once every four weeks or as required.
Never forget to brush the dog’s teeth with a vet-recommended toothpaste for overall fresh breath and health.
American Bulldog Training And Exercise
Training is compulsory. These dogs are naturally protective. With early socialization and training, they can be taught to understand acceptable behavior and proper socialization.
Training and Socializing
Early socialization means making your American Bulldog mingle with other pets and people when it’s still young. The main purpose is to make your dog move along with other pets without making any fuss.
Being a very dominant dog type, you should be prepared enough to spend quality time to avoid destructive behavior.
Socialization can help your dog shed unnecessary temper.
Without proper socialization, your American Bulldog can show signs of suspicious behavior towards new animals and people.
- Taking your dog to new areas and introducing it to new people while it’s still on the leash is a good start. If your doggie seems to be comfortable, friendly and greets the visitor, give treats and rewards.
- If meeting a breeder, observe and understand how the dog communicates with its companions. Well-socialized puppies can handle new situations and people with much ease.
- Never rush your dog’s training. As your puppy gets more and more comfortable with different things, you will find it socializing well.
- Be patient. Do not push your dog to learn things at your speed.
- Always keep your dog on a leash
- Start training your dog to follow obedience commands. For novice dog owners, this could be a real challenge.
- Train with both voice and hand commands
- When socialized and trained, these dogs are intelligent enough to decide when to act on their own.
- Never hesitate to talk to a canine behaviorist if you have trouble with your dog.
American Bulldog Exercise
- Daily exercise should deal with 40 minutes of different activity that may include these activities-
- Remember that this dog breed suffers from breathing problems because of their “smushed” face. Allow your dog to recuperate and take it slow and steady.
- If you are a lazy person, please avoid this dog breed. These dogs have a tendency to gain weight and this could lead to problems in the hips and knees.
- These dogs always love to play rough. Have fun and be careful while playing with this dog.
American Bulldog Health Problems
All dogs have the capacity to develop certain health issues. This breed suffers from a strong immune system. It may be handy to feed your dog the best-balanced diet.
Licking paws or itchy skin indicates food allergies in canines.
If you find these signs, please contact your vet about different allergen possibilities.
These dog breeds are susceptible to different conditions, including –
1. Neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis – This is a genetic nervous system problem. A simple genetic test can decide if this is a major issue or not.
You should check the documents for any major health problems when you meet the breeder.
Lysosomes are portions in cells mainly called as the cell’s stomach. Dogs affected with this disorder will find it hard to breakdown certain protein and fat. With time, the animals motor or mental health condition deteriorates.
2. Elbow or hip dysplasia – This is a common health condition that can occur in dog breeds of various sizes. In canines with this condition, the socket and ball do not fit properly. This leads to deterioration.
Genetics is the number one cause of this condition. Other factors that contribute to this condition include improper nutrition and weight, types of exercise, and excessive growth rate.
Glucosamine supplements or food that contain this supplement may help manage the signs of hip dysplasia.
3. Entropion – In this condition, the eyelid of your dog is folded inward or inverted. This condition is more common in sporting breeds, giant breeds, and short-nosed breeds.
Excess tears can cause such a condition. In large breeds, it’s normal to see pus or mucous discharge from the dog’s outer corner.
4. Ectropion – The eyelid rolls outward and it results in the visual appearance of the palpebral Poor tear distribution and exposure may push the dog to severe corneal disease.
American Bulldog Food
American Bulldogs are powerful and active, and this means they need a balanced diet with plenty of proteins. The right canine food should consist of meat protein, carbs in limited quantity, and omega-3 fatty acids to prevent obesity.
Nowadays, more and more bulldogs are susceptible to becoming obese, so trying a vet-approved balanced food is key.
If you are unaware of your dog’s allergies, it’s advisable to discuss different protein options. Switching foods can lead to digestion problems.
So, transition over a period of time to manage your pup’s health.
What’s The Most Common Nutritional Diet For American Bulldogs?
The nutritional need of your pet dog should be given utmost importance.
1. Prebiotics and Probiotics – These are important dog foods which no dog owner should miss. Prebiotics promotes the growth of good bacteria.
Two of the best common prebiotics used in canine foods include inulin and chicory.
While probiotics are good organisms and these organisms can improve the health of your dog.
2. Fiber – You should feed your pet with fiber on a daily basis. Fiber is insoluble or soluble. Soluble fibers are mostly found in inulin, chicory root, and beet pulp.
Insoluble fibers are seen in cellulose and rapidly increase your canine’s digestive process.
If your pet is obese, then feed him best-quality dog foods that are high in insoluble fibers to metabolize the fat.
3. Carbohydrates – These are vital nutrients for your pet since it will provide the much-needed energy he would need to spend the day. Carbohydrates contribute other nutrients and fiber to your pet’s digestive health.
It consists of starches and sugars that guide your pet’s brain to perform well.
4. Fat – Senior dog breeds need 5 percent of fat in their daily food. Pregnant, lactating, and puppies need a higher percentage of fat in their food.
If you feed your American bulldog with foods rich in fat, there’s every possibility that they can become obese over a period of time.
On average, it’s suggested that you serve foods with around 12 or 15 percent of fat to your dog.
5. Protein – Some American bulldogs are energetic and active. Protein is important for a dog’s growth. It is suggested that you should give your dog food with around 30 percent protein.
A Simple Guide to Feeding Your American Bulldog
If your pet is –
- 0 to 3 months old – Your canine is now a puppy. Feed him food mainly designed for bulldog puppies. They should be fed at least 4 times daily.
- Between 3 and 6 months – Feed your puppy thrice a day
- Between 6 months and a year – During this stage, you can feed him twice a day
The ranges of the serving size will actually depend on your canine’s build and how much he can handle in one intake.
Favorable “Human” Foods
- Peanut butter
Unfavorable “Human” Foods
American Bulldog Puppies Names
Are you searching for a cute and powerful bulldog name? You are at the right place.
Bulldogs are affectionate, calm, and also adorable. Picking a name is a strenuous process. Start with analyzing your dog’s personality.
The inspiration for a dog’s name can come from any source. Be open and accommodative.
Take a look at these American bulldog names and choose your favorite name for your dog.
American Bulldog Puppy Names Male
- Pudge – “The best name to call when you are spending time with your best buddy”
- Rocky – “A great movie series of boxing”
- Beefy – “Someone who is muscular”
- Butch – “Masculine behavior and dress regardless of gender”
- Spike – “A hot vampire”
- Bear – “A large woodland creature”
- Felix – “One who is always there to meet all your needs”
- Dumbo – “A cool Disney movie about a flying elephant”
- Mambo – “The peppiest dance form popular in Cuba”
- Sultan – “Head of the state”
American Bulldog Puppy Names Female
- Babushka – “A super caring Russian grandmother”
- Apple – “The record company made popular by John Lennon and Paul McCartney “
- Basket – “A carrying item”
- Bubba – “A loved one”
- Olga – “An affectional person”
- Tilly – “One with an innocent look”
- Olympia – “Intelligent, caring, beautiful, talented”
- Cora – “A sweetheart who is loyal and caring”
- Daisy – “A smart beautiful girl”
- Hanna – “An intelligent person with some exceptional humor sense”
What Are Girl Dog Names For American Bulldog?
- Sarah Jessica Barker
- Jelly Bean
- Pee Wee
- Sweet Pea
American Bulldog Price And Breeders
The cost to bring home an American Bulldog depends greatly on several factors including puppy ancestry, breed popularity, litter size, reputation, and breeder’s location.
The current average price to take home an American bulldog puppy is around $800. This price is for a puppy without any papers.
American Bulldog Puppies
We strictly recommend you to buy from reputed breeders in your locality with all the papers.
You should allocate money from $1500 USD upwards and it can go right up to $9000 USD for good quality puppies.
When calculating your pet’s budget, ensure that you invest in top quality toys, bones, bowls, bed, crate, leash, and collar.
All these items account for at least $500 to $2000 USD. This amount may increase year after year depending on the necessity.
American Bulldog Breeders
- Majestic American Bulldogs
Contact – 989 – 289 – 5972
- Spencer’s American Bull Kennels
Contact – 740 – 317-2874
- Grand Future American Bulldog Kennel
Riverside, California – 92504