Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
It looks like it could have surfaced from the spice-filled dominion of “Dune.” The Goberian is a true-life blend, that is half-husky and half-Golden Retriever.
This Husky Golden Retriever mix has to be one of our favorite crossbreeds of all time! If you have not heard of it, do not feel too out of the loop. This rather new breed has only burst forth in the last decade.
The mix of great traits in a Husky Golden Retriever mix could certainly take the cake! Goberian tries to take the best of both Golden and Husky world. But, to lay it on the line, breeders have not found the right combination of the two.
There is a lot of unpredictability about the golden retriever husky mix dogs. The result is only a guesstimate, so far.
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Breed Characteristics Sheet
- Origin: NA
- Size: Large
- Dog Breed Group: Family Dog
- Purebred: No, crossbreed
- Lifespan: 11-14
- Height: Male – 21-24 inches (53-61 cm), Female – 20-22.5 inches (50-57 cm)
- Weight: Males – 29- 34 Kg(65-75 lbs) and Females – 25-29Kg (55-65 lbs)
- Coat Appearance: Double coat
- Coat Colors: Black And White, Brown And White, Salt And Pepper, Cream, Black And Brown
- Temperament: Alert, affectionate, brisk, cheery, dominant, Friendly, Intelligent, Lively, Loyal, Protective, pleasant, Responsive, Social, spirited, Territorial, watchful
- Good With Children: Yes
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Yes
- Hypoallergenic: Yes
- Grooming: Average
- Shedding: Low
- Barking: Barks when necessary
- Suitable For Apartments: No
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: Yes
- Good For First Time Owners: Moderate
- Health Issues: Elbow dysplasia, hip dysplasia, Bloat/gastric torsion receive Retinal Atrophy, Hypothyroidism, Cryptorchidism
- Litter Size: NA
- Average Price: 250- 1500 USD
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Size And Lifespan
Height – Male – 21-24 inches (53-61 cm), Female – 20-22.5 inches (50-57 cm)
Weight – Males 29- 34 Kg(65-75 lbs) and Females 25-29Kg (55-65 lbs)
A healthy Goberian should expect to enjoy a life expectancy of between 11 – 14 years. This is possible if they are properly cared for and fed a good quality diet to suit their ages.
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Coat color And Appearance
- Black And White
- Brown And White
- Salt And Pepper
- Black And Brown
The physical features of this designer dog are hard to predict. Each pup is unique as the genes are expressed in a unique manner. Indeed, no two puppies from the same litter look exactly alike.
The Goberian’s coat has not yet been standardized. Some dogs will look like fluffier Huskies and others like straight-haired Goldens. But, you can expect a dog with a thick coat.
The parents are cold-weather dogs and the Goberian will sure to reflect this aspect.
There is one guarantee, though, with the Golden Retriever Husky mix. It will have a lot of furs and their color bloom can also be wild. They usually have coats with more than one color and their markings can vary.
The color will range greatly, but, from gold to white to black to brown, and everything between.
Some look more like the Siberian husky while the others inherit the Retriever side of the family. So, you can’t be certain about how your crossbreed will come out.
During puppy-hood, most of the looks will be similar. Their differences get more pronounced only when they grow up.
The facial features are the most remarkable parts of this exceptional crossbreed. These dogs usually keep hold of the dark black nose and a larger snout.
As for the ears, they could get the floppy, downturned ears (as in golden) or the pointy, erect ears (from the husky side). But, many keep the floppy ears like the Golden Retriever.
Most of the Goberians also have piercing blue or multi-colored eyes.
On average, Goberians will have slender bodies. Most of them have the body of Golden Retrievers with slender legs of Huskies.
Another common feature that they often have is the signature fluffy tail of a Husky. Sure, there may be no guarantees with mixed breeds. Your Goberian could end up looking more like a Husky or a Golden Retriever.
Come what may, it is sure to be adorable.
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Food
They are energetic, but their metabolism and level of activity will affect their diet.
Consider their activity level when determining how many calories it needs. If they are doing any work or under training, they may need more calories.
Dry food is generally a great option for your golden husky as it keeps their teeth and gums clean and strong.
It’s better to avoid store-bought dog food or commercial food for your puppies. The quality of their diet will have a major impact on their growth, health and fur coat appearance.
Avoid feeding them a diet high in carbohydrates, as they will need dog food formula high in protein.
Calorie considerations For A Goberian
- A typical, healthy Goberian should be fed about 40-50 calories worth of food per pound of body weight.
- A Goberian puppy (four to 12 months) who doesn’t exercise a lot, weighing an average of 10lbs, need around 500 calories per day.
- An active, adult dog in the (55-75 lbs) range should get around 1500-1700 calories per day.
- Sedentary huskies need 1000-1200 calories per day
- An average adult golden husky should get 1500 calories per day.
Goberian puppies need to be fed a good quality, highly nutritious diet for them to develop and grow as they should. As a rough guide, a puppy should be fed with their meals is evenly spread out throughout the day. It’s best to feed 3 or 4 times a day:
Meal frequency for Golden Huskies:
- For the first three months: three meals per day
- For the rest of life: two meals per day
- Pups between eight and 12 weeks old – 3 meals every 24 hours (200g- 300g).
- 3 to 6 months old – 2 meals every 24 hour period (300-450g)
- Feed puppies 6 months to 1 year – 2 bowls of food daily (400- 450g)
- When your puppy hits his first birthday, one bowl or two smaller bowls every 24 hours is typically all that’s necessary.
Foods that should not be fed to Golden Huskies:
- Raw or Undercooked Meat
- Raw Eggs and milk
- Chocolate and coffee
- Cooked Bones
- Grapes and Raisins
- Bread Dough and Salty food
Recommended Read: Feeding Guide For Husky And Husky Mix Dogs
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Temperament
Goberians come with many different personalities. But some of the traits from their parentage are common to all.
- They don’t have a lazy bone in their body and they are vivacious by nature. They also adapt extremely well to family life.
- They are natural sentries of their perceived territory and protector of his pack (the family is his pack).
- They are mostly territorial with other animals. But, they are generally good with the pets in their own family, if raised with them.
- With their energy and intelligence, a busy Goberian is a happy Goberian.
- The Golden Retriever Husky Mix is a patient and kind dog. The dog has inherited this trait from the Golden Retriever side of the family.
- Like other dog breeds, Goberians come in a range of temperaments, from low-key to lively. But usually, his lively, cheerful personality makes him fun to be with.
- These qualities are only surpassed by their sense of loyalty, affection and its eagerness to please.
- They are far too intelligent to tolerate mistreatment or abuse of position by its owner. Fairness goes a long way with the Golden Huskies and they command respect more than anything does.
- They have an independent mind of their own as Siberian Huskies. They are notorious for acting on their own volition.
- Some Goberians are very dominant and they have been known to run off and not come back until they’re good and ready.
- They have a high prey drive and are quick off the mark when it comes to chasing anything.
- It’s really difficult to wear out a Goberian, if not impossible. You have to give a lot of mental stimulation and daily physical exercise.
- They are too social to be left alone for long periods. A Golden Husky and can be rambunctious when really bored.
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Training
- Trainability – Fast Learners But May Be Stubborn
- Intelligence – High
- Memory – High
- Mouthiness – Low
- Prey Drive – High
- Wanderlust Potential – Low
Is He hard to train?
Usually, the Golden Huskies are easy to train and are very quick to learn.
Sometimes there can be a streak of stubbornness in them. But, you just need to be consistent and make sure to establish yourself as the pack leader.
Start obedience training with him from puppyhood. Include a variety of dog toys, chews, and treats to keep your dog’s interest. Find a training regimen that works for you and stick with even if your pup starts to get stubborn.
For instance, if you want to implement a rule that the sofa is off limits for him, never make an exception – no matter how sweet he looks!
Remember, it’s crucial that you teach your dog basic obedience at a young age. This can help ward off moments of bad behavior. Use toys and plenty of treats to establish some positive vibes during the training process.
Golden husky puppies should be exposed to other dogs early on. This will ward off no dominance issues that may surface in the future. Take them for a walk using a leash so that they can experience new faces on a regular basis.
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Grooming And Shedding
Golden Huskies have a bountiful double coat. The inner coat is soft and the outer coat is dense, straight and wavy. Dog owners will be delighted to know how they generally have few grooming requirements and hardly shed.
The underlayer will lose fur occasionally, but it can be easily managed with regular brushing and that is unless it inherits that famous Husky shed.
Siberian Huskies are notorious for their heavy shedding during the fall and spring. If your Goberian inherits this trait, then it must be brushed daily during these seasons.
It is essential you brush your dog’s coat twice in a week, most importantly, during shedding season.
Brushing the dog’s fur keeps it healthy and tangle-free. Since these dogs enjoy spending time out-of-doors, their fur is likely to gather grass, dirt, fleas, and weeds, along with other irritants.
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Health Problems
Elbow dysplasia – Abnormal development of elbow joint which causes damage to the cartilage surface of the joint – a process called osteochondrosis or OCD.
Bloat/gastric torsion – Gastric Dilatation -Volvulus, or more commonly referred to as gastric torsion or Bloat can occur randomly and in which the stomach becomes overstretched and rotated by too much gas, froth, fluid or all of these.
Torsion (volvulus) is when the whole stomach twisted at either end i.e. it is closed off at both its entrance and its exit, just like the ends of sausage is twisted and closed at both ends.
Bloat can happen on its own or as a precursor to torsion. This is a life-threatening condition and if the dog is not brought for veterinary care and surgery, the dog will not survive.
Progressive Retinal Atrophy – An inherited disease of the retina that includes several different genetic diseases that lead to the degeneration of the retina.
Cataracts – This typically affects senior Goberians.
Hypothyroidism – This is the most commonly diagnosed hormone disorders in the dog. It is an inherited disorder of thyroid gland, causing slow physical and mental development.
Cryptorchidism – The Siberian Husky Club of America (SHCA) has stated that this congenital condition affects 14 percent of male Huskies.
It is the failure of one or both testicles (testes) to descend into the scrotum. This can lead to spermatic cord torsion or malignant growths in the affected testicle.
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Price And Breeders
You should expect to pay between 250- 1500 USD for your Golden retriever husky mix puppy depending on the pedigree and the breeder.
The huge variety of possible coats and colors is also a decisive factor in puppy pricing. For Instance, many people prefer Golden husky puppies with blue eyes and a blonde coat.
Always make sure to buy your puppy from a reputable breeder or look at local dog shelters.
Golden Retriever Husky Mix Breeders
Get started by searching for a good breeder on national kennel or breed clubs. Start your search with breed rescue groups. As with all hybrids, the cost of these pups often depends on the breeder and the availability.
A reputed breeder with strong lines will charge more, especially if they are the only people in the area to provide such a cross.
Check with Golden retriever and Husky rescue groups in your state.