Cute to the core, cheerful, and highly loyal… the Pitbull Boxer Mix is definitely a head-turner.
This powerful dog is a cross between a Boxer and the American Pit Bull Terrier.
This is not a purebred dog. It’s not uncommon for popular breeders to breed various multi-generation crosses.
Find Top Rated Breeders In Your Area
Pitbull Boxer Mix Breed Characteristic Sheet
- Origin: Unknown
- Size: Large
- Dog Breed Group: Working, large, the family dog
- Purebred: No
- Lifespan: 12-14 years
- Height: Height- 17-20 inches(Male); Female-16-19 inches
- Weight: 60-80 lbs(Male); Female-50-70 lbs
- Coat Appearance: Shiny single layer
- Coat Colors: Brindle or white, Pure black, Black tan, Brown, Cream, Fawn
- Temperament: Smart, lovable, cool, cheerful, affectionate, strong, kind, independent thinker, playful, bouncy, energetic
- Good With Children: Yes
- Intelligence Level: High
- Good With Pets: Better with supervision
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Grooming: Moderate
- Shedding: Moderate
- Barking: Low
- Suitable For Apartments: No
- Need For Exercise: High
- Easy To Train: Low-moderate
- Good For First Time Owners: Moderate-high
- Health Issues: Aortic Stenosis, hip dysplasia, cardiomyopathy, obesity, bloat
- Average Price: $400-$800 USD
Pitbull Boxer Mix History
In the 1800s, the Germans created the Boxer Breed by cross-breeding a German Bullenbeiser and Bulldogs from England.
In the year 1895, the breed was ideally stabilized and nurtured by three Germans R.Hopner, Elard Konig, and Friedrich Robert. The AKC first recognized this breed in the year 1904.
These strong dogs were used to transport guns, supplies, and messages to soldiers in World War I and World War II.
These dogs are known for their tenacity, strength, and stamina.
This crossbreed is being developed using the contributions from the APBT or the American Pit Bull Terrier. The American Pit Bull Terrier dogs are recognized by the UKC.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Appearance
This crossbreed is a well-built dog with a wide muzzle and a broad flat head. The muzzle can be either medium or short in length.
They have brown eyes small or medium in size. These dogs are slightly almond shaped or round.
Their ears are mostly set high and either lie close to the sides or fall over. Some dog lovers may prefer to clip the ears and this will result in an upright ear.
They have a tapered, long tail that tilts at the end.
Dog Pregnancy Calculator And Timeline
Pitbull Boxer Mix Coat Colors
They are known to have a single layer shiny coat that lies completely flat against the body.
These dogs are seen in a wide range of colors except merle.
They also have white or black markings that subtly stand out against the base colors.
A Pitbull Boxer Mix comes in a wide range of colors.
Some of the popular colors of this cross breed include-
- Brindle or white
- Pure black
- Black tan
Never underestimate the strength of these dogs by looking at their long snout. These dogs will ideally carry a Boxer dog’s undershot bite.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Size And Lifespan
When we talk about weight and size, these dogs belong to medium-large sized dogs.
Bullboxer Pit Average Height and Weight
- Male Pitbull Boxer Mix – 17-20 inches
- Female Pitbull Boxer Mix – 16-19 inches
- Male Pitbull Boxer Mix-60-80 lbs
- Female Pitbull Boxer Mix-50-70 lbs
The female dogs are quite smaller in size compared to their male counterparts. On average, these dogs are the size of small female Pitbulls all the way to the largest male Boxers.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Lifespan
The average lifespan of a Bullboxer Pit is between 12-14 years.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Temperament
For these simple reasons, these dogs are also called “nanny dogs”. These hybrids are incredibly smart with toddlers and babies. A huge portion of their personality and temperament forms due to their early social training.
Let’s take a closer look at the personality traits of the Boxer and Pitbull.
American Pitbull Terrier
Kindly bear in mind that a well socialized and properly trained Pitbull does exceedingly well with other animals and children.
An independent thinker, these dogs are quite stubborn by nature. This sensitive Terrier fails to perform when confronted with negative punishments and corrections and reacts best to early training and socialization.
They are affectionate and will love to spend time with their family. Eager to learn and loyalty is their unique trait.
Boxers are not known to get along well with members of the same type. Muscular and powerful, these dogs were once ancient dog fighting for a powerful empire.
Being a bouncy, energetic, playful, and a cheerful dog, Boxers require mental and physical stimulation on a regular basis.
Without early behavioral training, they can turn unhappy, destructive, and bored.
- All the Pit variants carry a social stigma. These dogs are amazingly loving and sweet animals who require the right owner for a long and happy journey.
- Pitbulls are not a single dog breed but a group of dogs that carry Bulldog and Terrier genes.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Care
This dog does not need plenty of time to remain neat and clean. Reach out to your vet for more information on a proper Bullboxer Pit care.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Grooming And Shedding
The most important factor is that these dogs are low shedding and low maintenance. They seldom require many products and it means getting trims on a daily basis is not needed.
This cross breed’s short coat is simple to manage. Brush the hair regularly to keep the shedding low.
The Bullboxer Pit sheds moderately. Unreasonable shedding indicates some sort of a health issue.
Use a brush and comb their loose hair. Bathing is recommended once in a fortnight or when suggested by your vet. A soft bristle brush or a curry comb is enough.
Medicated shampoos are needed if skin disorders are present. If your dog consists of the wrinkles and facial folds of the Boxer, then examine the muzzle and face area on a regular basis.
Prevent the growth of bacterial infestations, fungal, and red yeast due to drooling problems. These dogs need safe moisturizer and need attention to stop cracking and drying.
Clip their nails and clean their ears regularly. Hire a professional groomer if you are unsure of anything.
Bullboxer Pit Training
Training this breed requires a lot of effort and confidence from the trainer’s side. The most crucial thing is that you should follow and adopt consistent training.
Experts suggest early training for this breed because of obesity issues. They have the potential to become abnormal chewers. This need not adhere only to cushions, shoes, or anything including food.
The Bullboxer Pit is a kind and loving dog when they are left with their family members and the same does not work with other strangers or animals.
A properly socialized Bullboxer Pit will offer unconditional support to other pets.
Socialization and behavioral training play a crucial part in a dog’s life.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Exercise
A pretty strong dog with a brilliant and strong physique which requires a complete lot of exercise, Bullboxer Pits is here to stay. They need exercise to maintain their health and form.
This dog appears very alert and agile and seems to behave hyper. It might move around without your permission. The Bullboxer Pits are suitable for families with kids because of their affection, friendliness, and energy.
For those who already lead a physically active lifestyle, then this Pitbull Boxer Mix is the right choice. These dogs are developed to be a strong dog with gameness and tenacity. This dog needs its daily dose of exercise.
They love activities including agility training, flyball, swimming, jogs, and brisk walks. Experts normally do not suggest this large dog breed for apartment living.
Many apartments owners may restrict the use of this dog and homeowners may need dog liability insurance.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Health Problems
Most of these health issues are inherited from either dog parent. They can become obese if left unsupervised. Sticking to the feeding schedule can help stop that.
Some of the major health issues include
- Bloat – Called GDV or gastric dilatation volvulus, the dog’s stomach fills completely with gas. The dog’s stomach can become large due to gas and put strong pressure equally on the diaphragm. If not given proper medical care, these pets can turn critically ill.
- Hip Dysplasia – This refers to a condition wherein the socket and ball joint of the hip is malformed. This malformation indicates that the above-mentioned joints don’t fit properly and leads to grinds and rubs.
- Cardiomyopathy – Cardiomyopathy is a condition which affects the heart. Sudden heart failure or fainting can occur. Some dogs can also develop congestive heart failure.
- Aortic stenosis – Aortic Stenosis is a disorder where the aortic valve reduces in size and this valve manages the blood flow to the important aorta ventricular
Some of the minor health issues include
- Obesity – This is a nutritional disease identified by a higher percentage of body fat. Obese dogs suffer from a lack of mobility.
- Allergies – If you notice signs of allergies in your pet, do these things-
- Try dietary changes and nutraceuticals
- Ear cleaning
- Eye rinses
- Topical treatments and bathing
- Contact your vet
- Demodectic mange – This condition is caused due to an itchy, red skin infection. Demodex Canis mite lives ideally on dogs.
- Degenerative Myelopathy – A progressive disorder of the spine mostly found in older dogs. This disorder can lead to progressive paralysis also.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Food
These are big dogs and you can easily expect them to eat large quantities.
In order to keep them strong and healthy, Bullboxer Pits are fed with the best quality dry food. Check the label for any preservatives or artificial flavors.
If you find these ingredients in the dog food, put it back-
- Wheat Gluten
- Food Dyes
- Corn Syrup/Corn
- Propylene Glycol
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
- Butylated-hydroxyanisole (BHA)
Feed your dog with protein-rich food so that they get the needed lean muscles. While choosing dry food, check for the animal-protein source. Some Bullboxer Pits love grain-free type and you should keep a watch on allergies.
If you want to feed wet foods contact your breeder or vet for more information.
Create a customized feeding plan for your dog after consulting with your vet. You should feed your adult Bullboxer Pits twice daily. Feed them with four to five cups. Divide these into two meals a day.
Provide them with clean drinking water 24/7.
Pitbull Boxer Mix Price And Breeders
Pitbull Boxer Mix puppies are available for sale at a price between $400-$800 USD. Reputable breeders sell these mixes for a premium sum.
The price is also decided based on several factors such as whether the puppies are neutered or spayed. Adopting a Pitbull Boxer puppy is not a bad option either. You can save and nurture a puppy’s life.
If you are really keen to bring home a Bullboxer Pit puppy, contact a foster home for pets. Never hesitate to spend close to $1000 USD every annum for your dog. This cost could include medical expense, food, grooming, accessories, and others.
Bullboxer Pit breeders in America or the UK often breed dogs with the right amount of integrity, work ethics, and sound character.
Never buy from an unknown or a new breeder without any good reference. Do your own research and talk to your local vet for the right choices.